Burn Salve? Could be emergency... lol

lauramw71

So this is why it could be an emergency.. I have twin boys who will be 13 in Jan, and another son who is 11... Well, they've decided they want to learn to cook and bake. One of the twins got his first experience of not paying attention when removing a cookie sheet from the oven. Got a nice lil burn on his thumb. I put emu oil on it, so I think that helped. But, oh goodness... it didn't help with his pain. LOL

So, I'm thinking I should make a nice burn salve to keep in the kitchen. The boys REALLY enjoyed spending the day with me last weekend baking cookies and want to do more.

I tried finding a good recipe, but just can't find a BINGO one! Anyone have one they can help out with?

I, and my sons (who can take a beating in football, but apparently can't handle a burn) thank you!

LOL

I would not make a "burn salve" with any oil (I'm not referring to aloe vera gel- which is not actually an oil) in it. It can cause infection, just as putting butter on a burn can (which was an old wives tale).

Best thing you can do for a burn is run under cool water, wrap in a nonadhesive bandage or sterile gauze and keep clean and dry. If it needs more care then this then best to get medical attention.

Edited by pixie

Well, this will be easier than I thought! LOL I have vinegar, and a LOT since I use it as fabric softener! Thanks all! I knew not to put butter on a burn, but my dumb butt went straight for the emu oil when he did it! He did put it in cold water for quite a while, but I'm thinking the emu oil I used is probably why it wouldn't stop hurting. :( oops!

oils simply hold in any heat still in the burn (the heat goes deep) so you shouldn't put it on a burn for that reason.

but anything that blocks air will help with the pain for the first 24 hours or so = which is why people run for the butter (and put their burned fingers in mouth)

so the emu won't make it hurt, per se, but it can make the burn worse.

Ice or cold water immediately on burns to stop the tissue damage. Do not break blisters. Silvadene & telfa bandage if the area is open or more than 1/2" in diameter. After a couple of days, if no infection is present, aloe vera (straight from the plant if possible) and Vitamin E before dressing the burn. If any signs of infection (reddening around burn, swelling, discolored liquid in blister), seek professional opinion.

Learned the hard way...I burned myself while fixing Thanksgiving dinner. Grabbed a pan coming out of the oven without using a glove, you'd think I would know better after all these years of cooking. The only thing that help was putting my hand in a bowl of ice water the whole evening. I did have some J&J burn ointment but that did not stop the pain. I also used butter on the burn.

And here comes the "southern" tricks !

Potato slices, mustard ( yes it works lol ) , sliced fresh mushrooms ( dont ask me it just works ) and of all things, tomatos ! ( Id have never thought that with the natural salt and acid but it does ! ) Toothpaste and egg whites ( put your finger in the egg white, coat it , let it dry , put toothpaste on it, bandage if you want , wait an hour or two, rinse it off.

Not only am I accident prone as crap, I worked in the restaurant industry for over 25 years. You'd be amazed at what is in your kitchen that you can use to stop a burn from blistering and hurting :)

As for the vinegar, I've never used it on anything but a sunburn ( I get massive ones ) and I might smell like an Easter Egg for a while but boy does it work on sunburns !

Edited by blacktieaffair

Burns are not like stings. They involve tissue destruction and infection can be a serious issue. For a minor burn (one which does not produce a blister or open area), the homespun remedies will not do any harm. A topical anesthetic will help with pain. If the pain is severe enough that an OTC topical anesthetic does not work, a health care professional should be consulted.

Thanks for all the tips! It wasn't anything major, just touching a hot pan, no blister or anything. But I'm thinking ahead since the boys are getting older and thinking they want to start cooking. I think my best bet is to have alot of cold water handy! LOL

I think my best bet is to have alot of cold water handy! LOL

...and don't forget earplugs for Mom so you don't hear the wails of those great big, bad, rough-tough football players. I raised one, too, and the noise they can make from a little burn is all out of proportion when compared to the huge bruises, tears, cleat-marks and scrapes they get when playing! Such an odd phenomenon!! Maybe buy them some "Ov-Gloves" for a late Christmas present. Loads of oversized potholders also help reduce the incidence of howling. Anything to make the noise stop!

Pain is a wonderful teacher. They'll quickly learn that if it hurts when ya do dat, don't do dat. :laugh2:

Ov glove! What a GREAT idea!!!!! My hunny was nervous when they were in there alone.. I told him "Well, I showed them how to do it and what not to do.. if they get burnt than they'll learn not to do that again" HAHA

It's AMAZING how they can get battered, bruised and sore from football, but the smallest cut, or anything will start the howling! LOL I thought girls were dramafied, but WOW boys can be too! LOL

One of the best treatments for burns is essential oil of lavender. In fact, its effectiveness on burns was discovered quite accidentally by a French chemist who, while playing mad scientist in his lab, severely burned his forearm. He stuck it into a container that had lavender oil and his burn healed very quickly and with hardly any scarring. In addition, lavender has mild antiseptic and analgesic properties, and it is one of the very few essential oils that does not have to be diluted with a carrying oil.

Also, once the acute stage is over, you may want to apply some comfrey, which aids in tissue repair and regeneration. Go easy with essential oils and NEVER ingest them; even in small quantities they can be lethal :shocked2:

As others have advised, you can also use apple cider vinegar (it helps normalize the skin pH disrupted by the burn), but don't use oils. HTH :smiley2:

Agree about the vinegar, and vodka also works.

Vodka works well for all pains. Oops, that's only if you drink it. ;)

Cold Water and Bandage loose to prevent blisters from breaking and becoming infected. If it is burnt enough to blister, it's at least a 2nd degree burn and I

personally would have a doc look at it.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my commercial products is a burn cream that is based around shea butter as the carrier, (but a minimal amount), and large percentages of aloe vera extract, plus extracts of calendula, papaya, and opuntia cladoides. It "vanishes" second degree burns overnight and also heals cuts, ulcers and so on. Putting oil on a burn is not good, but using a light emulsion works really well.