My Favorite Fat Boy

Stella1952

Making candles for my own enjoyment is one of my greatest guilt-free pleasures of candle making. There was an old discussion here titled "Confessions of a Power Burner"... This is a combination of that sentiment plus one of my favorite personal containers I call "The Fat Boy" that I pour over and over and over again. :smiley2:

Here's the latest incarnation of The Fat Boy. This was taken at the end of Burn #1 (12 hours). The scent is a blend of three fairly heavy oils - nag champa, neroli & antique musk. Normally, I would have given this a 7 day cure for maximum enjoyment, but I just couldn't wait. The throw is very pleasing even though I lit it after waiting only 48 hours...

It will improve every time I light it! :yay:

FatBoy009_burn1_12hours.jpg

Edited by Stella1952

what kind of container is that? It looks like ceramic? I have something similar I wanted to try but was told it could not stand up to heat? I am talking for my own use as well.

It's a recycled glass container, Fran. Since ceramics are fired at such high temperatures, I think you could safely try this for your own personal use for sure; however, if it's an antique, something very delicate-appearing, or a piece that would break your heart to lose, perhaps you might not want to risk it. I have several small Japanese tea cups that I also pour for myself and so far, so good. To be on the safe side I always set these in a deep glass saucer or bowl, just in case something messy occurs...

Thanks for the kinds words, everyone - I wish y'all could smell it too! It's a variation on an old blend and I am really liking it a lot! Might have to add it to my candle & soap offerings...

Nice looking container. What size is it Stella?

Richard, it's a tad over 4" inside diameter by ...ummmm... 4½" tall. I picked it up at one of the antique/junk stores in town, but I have seen these online here and there... It resembles this one at CW:

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c168,p1219 ... but theirs is taller and more tapered at the bottom. The glass on mine has a very faint green tint... not enough to spoil the periwinkle color of the candle.

awesome flame

Yep - 1½" but it's a big ol' wick, too! It would look silly with a little weenie flame... This one is suitable for toasting marshmallows. LOLOL

I love power burns

Me too. That's why I do so much testing - to be SURE my candles won't overheat and become too hot if someone ignores the length of burn time instruction and burns 'em like there's no tomorrow... I suspect I'm not the only person out there who ignores their own instructions when burning their candles LOLOL

It's a recycled glass container, Fran. Since ceramics are fired at such high temperatures, I think you could safely try this for your own personal use for sure; however, if it's an antique, something very delicate-appearing, or a piece that would break your heart to lose, perhaps you might not want to risk it. I have several small Japanese tea cups that I also pour for myself and so far, so good. To be on the safe side I always set these in a deep glass saucer or bowl, just in case something messy occurs...
Thanks Stella I will try it.

Me too. That's why I do so much testing - to be SURE my candles won't overheat and become too hot if someone ignores the length of burn time instruction and burns 'em like there's no tomorrow... I suspect I'm not the only person out there who ignores their own instructions when burning their candles LOLOL

All instructions are out the window when I burn for personal use.

Nice candle Stella. That one will last a nice long time for ya.

Just an update - the Fat Boy is now about 1/3 melted down into the container, The sides are slipping down and catching up, as is usual with this container. The HT has definitely developed in the wax and I had to move it out of my bedroom into the livingroom because it was throwing too much scent for the smaller space. I am well-pleased with it. :-)

An update with pictures would be nice.

*chuckle* Yep, it sure would. Maybe my old camera with the failing disk drive will bless me one mo' time... It refused to read a few minutes ago, but that's common for it these days. I'll let it sit and give it a chance to "get right." I just lit the Fat Boy up, so in a little while when it's at FMP, I'll give it a try again, but you probably won't be able to smell it LOLOL

nag champa, neroli & antique musk

It sounds like that scent you get when you walk past one of those shops that sells Balinese style wood furniture, beaded bags, silk cushions & incense etc. We have one of those in my local shopping center and I could spend hours just wandering around for the smell alone. Nag Champa is one of my fav scents.

Of course my imagination could be wayyyy off, but that is what came to mind when I read it. I bet it smells every bit as good as it sounds!

I love all the "old hippie" fragrances! I am very impressed with this blend - give it a try. Nag Champa is used in lots of products manufactured in India - cloth, dye, paper, ink, etc. That's one reason that old "head shops" used to smell so "heady." The fragrance fully "arrived" on the 5th day after pouring and became very strong (too strong for a candle that size in my bedroom). It ranges from musky & woodsy to almost perfume-y, depending on where one is in the room and the time of day. All that from 1 oz. of FO PP!!

It's on its last powerburn right now - been burning since last night (15 hours). There's a little hangup in one area that's slowly weeping into the MP. I have to go do a couple of errands, but I am dragging my feet because the candle is so close to the end I don't want to miss any of it! If I extinguish it now, it likely will not relight, so I'll just wait. As soon as it winks out, I'll pour the remaining liquid wax into a tin to put on the melter so I can squeeze the last little bit from it later on.

It's surely been a pleasing Christmas candle. :-)

So in order to get a "clean" burn with this candle, you had to do 12-15 hour power burns? I don't think that is a realistic burn time that one should expect a customer to have to perform. I know it would not be for me. I work and don't have that time to put into a candle, tester or not, just to get a "clean" burn. I think I'd rather double wick the bugger and be done with it. Have you ever tried to DW it and see how that burn goes? I would have loved to have seen some more pictures. Shame your camera quit working during the burn.