Second guessing myself for the 1000th time: need input please

blacktieaffair

Ok, since the beginning, I have not colored any of my melts with the exception of "left overs" I have from making up dyed wax to make other products.

My reasoning for this was :

1. I kept hearing that some dyes can actually in some cases affect scents

2. I honestly didnt see the sense in coloring something than when melted, unless was used in a clear glass warmer you couldn't tell if it was colored or not.

3. It was just another way to cut corners

4. I liked the "natural" look and schlept of keeping things as natural as I could

5. It just goes with my business color theme ( black/white/silver.

6. I just didnt figure I could duplicate EXACT colors, batch after batch after batch even with notes lol

I've had people ask me over the years why I dont dye, that it would help draw attention to my product ( which I found odd since my white and black label covers the entire front of the package) and people " just like pretty colors".

Am I the oddball here, by not dying my melts?

( and by this , I mean totally undyed, I dont even add "whitener" or white dye to make the melts all white. Whatever color the FO turns the wax, that's the way it stays)

Thoughts?

Sorry, but you are wrong. We thought that too a long time ago. If you want to sell your products, you have to give your customers what THEY want, not what you like or think. That was a hard lesson for us (me) to accept. Colors absolutely matter to customers, even tarts. I would suggest you do a side-by-side test; one batch colored and one batch natural and see which one sells best.

Thanks for the input David!!! I do see your points. I guess its just that I haven't had an issue selling them "dye-less" to customers, it was always the store owners that asked for the most part. After I dropped off a few testers for them, they never mentioned it again and stocked my products. The side by side comparison would be a good idea though, just for chits and giggles , to see what happens.

Its kind of like my lotions. I know a lot color theirs. I dont. I do use colored bottles, but honestly, to me ? I really dont care of its dyed or not as long as it works. ( there's just something about light green or blue lotion that doesn't "do it" for me LOL )

I can say as a consumer that I like them colored. :) And it wouldn't matter to me if the color wasn't EXACTLY right for the same scent twice. But I mentally keep track of the scent by the color and when I go to turn on my melter I know instantly if that's a scent I want to smell for the day. If they were all natural I would have a hard time remembering what I last stuck in it. And since I don't wait for a scent to lose it's smell, I change with my "want" of the day, I'll purchase more faster from the creator! JM2Cents. :)

I dye my melts and I can get mine colors the same with each batch. Notes do help. Sometimes an extra drop will get in there or whatever but it's ok. The dyes cost a bit upfront, but they last a long time.

There are plenty of business on here that don't dye their products and they seem to be doing well. If it's your thing to have dye-less then it's your thing. Are there enough customers complaining that you don't dye to totally change them?

I know my customers like color and I love color too but I don't think they would mind if I stopped dying them. I have a few scents that I don't dye at all and I love how they look.

Thanks for coming by Suzy. It's not the customers, its the potential store owners I take my things in to see if they will carry. The customers dont seem to mind one way or the other because like I said, the entire front of my package is one huge white with black graphics cardstock inside label so until they pick it up and open it, they can't see if its dyed or not.

I love colors too. I'll be the first one on the block to buy all different colored candles but in melts its never mattered to me whether they were dyed or not cuz like I said, you can't tell what color it is after it melts, unless your warmer is clear glass.

I used to color my scented tarts/melts, but stopped years ago. It's true, color does make an impact but when the customers say "Oh my gosh, whatcha got going? It smells wonderful...", it's one of my unscented tarts, and they completely forget they aren't dyed - and they sell like uncolored hot cakes! :laugh2:

When dealing with store owners, I just leave a few uncolored tarts samples - same effect. I suppose I'm just too lazy to fart around with dyes, lol

Oh, I do not dye my candles either.

No color used here! I have had lots of customers comment that they like the natural look, but never one that said they preferred colored. Whe I first started making them, I used color, but quickly got away from it. Also, some colors and/or Fo's tend to frost very quickly, and I do not like frosted tarts. The undyed ones do not tend to frost for quite a while. By which time I have sold out or put them on clearance. Just my opinion.

I use palm wax for melts and I colour them. The first thing anyone says when they see them is "they are so pretty" or "how do you make them in so many pretty colours" I guess its personal preference but with feather palm it would be a shame not to colour them and to be honest not colouring them has never entered my mind...

I am dye free, and I agree that color is very important. Some like the white candles/tarts, some just don't understand it. I chose dye free because I don't like the look of a smooth colored candle and I don't use a wax that mottles. I think the candle culture is changing though, more and more home made companies are going dye free, and even an up and coming big boy Kringle Candle (aka Yankee Jr.) is dye free.

Edited by 001

I think I would go dye-free if I could afford all the bells & whistles on my packaging, labels, etc.

I know what you mean Beth. I've seen some labels that made me go:shocked2: they are so gorgeous and colorful!!!! ( gotta be a laser printer cause theres no way to have achieved that with an inkjet, or been able to afford printing out that many with that many graphics and colors.)

All I did was find a kind of scrolly boarder, and put my info in the center of it, all black ink.

Thanks for EVERYONE'S input! Everyone has had very valid points on why they do or don't. That's the great thing about all of us, and our customers. We're all different and it gets us and business people to try different things in that illusive chase to please as many as we can!

It's hard to please everyone. Sometimes, if you're established, I think you've got to stick to your guns and somewhat trademark your product with whatever the look IS that you have confidence in. (and that sells for you)

It's difficult though. We like our colours and our look and so do the majority of our market and party customers but the shops just want plain white (and boring, lol - to us.)

The danger I guess is that if you start going all over the place trying to please everyone then it might come across looking as though you lack confidence in your product.

Am I the oddball here, by not dying my melts?

As you have read, you are certainly not an "oddball" by not coloring your melts. THere is no "right" nor "wrong." It comes down to your preference, but understand that customers may not agree.

The science is against you as studies have shown a strong correlation between expected color and scent preception and recognition. Ex.: if grape scent is put in any color other than purple, the perception of it ("strength") is diminished and people have a hard time identifying the scent as grape.

Frosting is an issue when using soy waxes that cannot be ignored and is harder to control in little melts (which cool so quickly) than in larger volumes of wax. The appearance of a highly frosted melt not only diminishes the color, but it also becomes powdery and crumbly - not a good look for a product even though it will melt & burn just fine.

The colorants used in candle products are not consumed, burned nor applied to the skin. Personally, I worry far more about the chemicals used in FOs than I do the tiny amount of dye used. The cost savings of uncolored vs. colored melts is neglible. A few drops of liquid dye is enough to color an entire pound of wax!

A compromise for soy wax melts would be to use a small amount of dye - enough to suggest the expected color (pastel) but not so much as to augment the frosting tendencies of the addition of dye. Poor temperature control and FO are far worse offenders in frosting issues, anyway, in my experience.

Palm wax is another good veggie wax alternative that colors very well and has a very pleasing hot throw and sparkly appearance. I offer colored and uncolored melts and the colored melts are preferred by my customers. Some just don't care whether there is color or what the fragrance is - they just rate their purchase on whether they like the scent or not. Color/scent combination is more important in candles than in melts, IMHO. HTH :-)

Edited by Stella1952

Thanks for answering Stella, but Im afraid Im going to keep being dye free as Im sure a lot will.

As for your statement that "The science is against you as studies have shown a strong correlation between expected color and scent preception and recognition. Ex.: if grape scent is put in any color other than purple, the perception of it ("strength") is diminished and people have a hard time identifying the scent as grape", While I can see this to a point, ... is this statement also stating under the table that, if you want into someone's house, and there's a melt burning, yet you can't SEE that its purple, you aren't going to be able to figure out that its a strong grape scent simply because first you can't see the color and secondly because someone dyed it orange even if you could see the wax?

Not trying to be sooty but it just seems to me that I've never had that issue with all the TPs I make, because I might scent an orange one chocolate brownie. People have always told me they get a kick out of others coming in their homes or dorms, looking for a particular scent they smell, and can't "find it" ( because the brownie isn't brown its orange LOL )

I guess to each his own, and while I do agree that sight /taste/smell all coorrolate to one another I leave yall with this LOL :

You have a huge headcold, you can't smell or taste a thing.... yet you have this gorgeous vibrant plate of food in front of you ... Lotta good it does, you still can't smell or taste it. You might as well have been blindfolded and fed for all the good it does. Doesn't mean you cant taste it just because you can see it. Scents too. A rose smells like a rose whether your blindfolded or its a white rose or a red rose :)

Thanks for answering Stella, but Im afraid Im going to keep being dye free as Im sure a lot will.

As for your statement that "The science is against you as studies have shown a strong correlation between expected color and scent preception and recognition. Ex.: if grape scent is put in any color other than purple, the perception of it ("strength") is diminished and people have a hard time identifying the scent as grape", While I can see this to a point, ... is this statement also stating under the table that, if you want into someone's house, and there's a melt burning, yet you can't SEE that its purple, you aren't going to be able to figure out that its a strong grape scent simply because first you can't see the color and secondly because someone dyed it orange even if you could see the wax?

Not trying to be sooty but it just seems to me that I've never had that issue with all the TPs I make, because I might scent an orange one chocolate brownie. People have always told me they get a kick out of others coming in their homes or dorms, looking for a particular scent they smell, and can't "find it" ( because the brownie isn't brown its orange LOL )

I guess to each his own, and while I do agree that sight /taste/smell all coorrolate to one another I leave yall with this LOL :

You have a huge headcold, you can't smell or taste a thing.... yet you have this gorgeous vibrant plate of food in front of you ... Lotta good it does, you still can't smell or taste it. You might as well have been blindfolded and fed for all the good it does. Doesn't mean you cant taste it just because you can see it. Scents too. A rose smells like a rose whether your blindfolded or its a white rose or a red rose :)

I assumed she meant at the point of sale ?

While I can see this to a point, ... is this statement also stating under the table that, if you want into someone's house, and there's a melt burning, yet you can't SEE that its purple, you aren't going to be able to figure out that its a strong grape scent simply because first you can't see the color and secondly because someone dyed it orange even if you could see the wax?

What is of interest to me, as someone who manufactures a scented product, is how easily an average customer can identify the fragrance and how strongly they perceive it. People buy scented candles and melts for their fragrance. Anything I can do to enhance their level of olfactory perception and identification of that fragrance seems like a good idea to me.

I also know that other factors influence a customer's decision about a product - attitude and association are very important.

My goal is to cover all bases so that I can garner the most sales.

Oh I absolutely agree! Attitude does play an important part in anything, as does association. I've seen candlers who run a very thin line between explaining their product in a professional yet friendly manner, and those that come off sounding somewhat condescending to others. Never have understood that one, made me wonder how they'd stayed in business LOL.

( Im not sure exactly what you were referring to as "Attitude" because it could be attributed to a number of things... I just decided to go with an experience I've had and answer it from that view point , so , wasn't assuming ).

I guess I'll make a few "happy" by sharing that Im making up some TPs and Paper Towel rolls today and the lavender scented one will in fact be purple with various lavender and purple accents ! And ........ shock shock !!! The Vanilla ones will be a very light Tan with earthy accents!!!! And.............. the cinnamon will be burgandy / wine ! LOL

But, the chocolate brownie will be goth red with black drizzles LOL

But hey, that's how the customer ordered them , and as I've heard... you do what they want, not what you want < winks ! >

So, I do follow SOME "rules"............ sometimes...............maybe...............when the mood strikes........... every so often !!!! (It's a joke yall LOL )

hehehe well since Im the OP , its ok LOL.

Im sore. Been sitting in the floor all morning taking apart 4 huge bags of florals from HL I got yesterday and getting them ready to mix and match and make bouquets for the dipped stuff. Im gonna be ok , I just go get in the jacuzzi about three times a day when I start hurting bad. Just one of those things !

But I would like the number of that Mack truck that hit me when I laying there in the street !!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMAO !