How do suppliers figure shipping?

The "Candle Recipes" thread got me frustrated again over supplier shipping. How or why can some companies offer better shipping and others cannot? I'm in OH and used to get most of my stuff from a company in WI. Shipping a case of soy wax from them to me is about $40. I've stuck with them for years b/c I thought that shipping estimates would be similar around me. I dabbled with FOs from a company in NC and found out buying a case of the same soy wax from them ships for about $27. Why the difference?:confused:

Some sellers (not just suppliers) build higher shipping cost to sometimes lower the price on an item... or to just plain out rip you off... I remember over on the E site when you could pay $0.01 for a brand new laptop computer. Shipping was only $999.99 What a steal!

UPS and FedX (etc) give discounts based upon volume...if the customer signs up for the discounts. Some suppliers just do not shop around (IMO). If I can get a 8% discount from Fedx by doing my shipping through their online site...why can't a supplier find that same deal plus better for their volume?????

It is all based on UPS zoning. I can ship a package to 5 states away and its cheaper then to send to someone within an hours drive of me. You can always go to the UPS site and get an estimate, that way you know if you are being overcharged on shipping or not.

Some sellers (not just suppliers) build higher shipping cost to sometimes lower the price on an item... or to just plain out rip you off... I remember over on the E site when you could pay $0.01 for a brand new laptop computer. Shipping was only $999.99 What a steal!

If you're talking about that evil BAY site, the reason people did that was because the site charged a percentage fee based on sale price, shipping however wasn't factored in to the total sale price since in theory shipping money goes to ship the item not to pad the seller's wallet.

As for supplier shipping, it does depend a lot on the frugal'ness of the supplier. If they're willing to shop shipping rates with different parcel services. I try to stick to suppliers that do and if I *HAVE* to use one that charges an arm and a leg for shipping, I try to do it sparingly and make sure it's a good sized order. I get extremely offended if I'm trying to ship a small or inexpensive product and it costs me as much to ship it as it did to purchase it. With wax especially though, as long as you're not looking for a pre-blended custom blend, shop it. If you pay $5 more to purchase it but save $10 on shipping, still a win. Since it's such an undertaking with the numerous suppliers that are available, each time you need a new case, check the prices with a set number of suppliers. Say 6 each time. Pick the cheapest and leave a note on your computer as to what you paid and who you've checked. Next time, pick a half dozen new ones and compare their price to the cheapest you've paid to date. That's what I'd do.

Sometimes ordering in bulk saves money. If I order 5 cases of wax, I almost get a case free because UPS gives a lesser rate for quantity even tho it is the same amount and in 5 separate boxes. What ticks me off is that many supplers use UPS because of a standard pickup time (which can guarantee the date received) which is be easier than tossing a small order in an envelope and sending it by the post office regular mail the next day. Pick up from the supplier by the shipper adds to the cost of delivery. I sent my grand daughter her birthday gift and the shipping was almost the same price as the gift and delivery was 7 days for 1500 miles. I could have walked it there in that time.

What part of Ohio are you in? There are a number of suppliers in Ohio.

I'm in central Ohio. About 45 minutes from Makes Scents (but they don't carry my wax) and the rest are 2-3 hours away I would guess. I don't sell yet so I don't need huge quantities at a time, but if I did in the future, I imagine the drive wouldn't be too bad around OH. I do drive a 12 passenger van though and at 13 mpg, UPS is probably doing me a huge favor by shipping a case of wax to me at this present time.:)

It is all based on UPS zoning. I can ship a package to 5 states away and its cheaper then to send to someone within an hours drive of me. You can always go to the UPS site and get an estimate, that way you know if you are being overcharged on shipping or not.

I wondered if it had to do with shipping zones or something. I did check the WI company and they aren't overcharging, but I didn't check the NC company to see if they are getting a discount and passing it along.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I wondered if it had to do with shipping zones or something. I did check the WI company and they aren't overcharging, but I didn't check the NC company to see if they are getting a discount and passing it along.

I am in WI and found shipping from a well known supplier in NC is less expensive for me than a supplier here in my state. I haven't checked on wax but FOs, misc. supplies, etc. are much cheaper through the NC supplier for shipping. Wonder if it is due to the NC company getting a deeper discount?

Different shippers have different deals with their carriers. Volume, equipment on premises, etc. can all net a lower shipping rate for a supplier. Some pass this savings on to their customers, some do not, preferring to reserve their savings for packaging and handling costs. Suppliers who don't do as much business have higher rates. Suppliers who do not have a business address in a brick & mortar location pay higher rates. Items shipped from a residence (even if it is your business address) or a residential neighborhood are charged a higher residential rate.

I wish more suppliers offered USPS service because in many cases it is less expensive than either FedEx or UPS, gets to its destination in about the same time (if shipped Priority Flat Rate) and is far less expensive for small shipments, such as wicks or a few FOs. The Small Flat rate box, costs 5.30 to ship, the PO will pick it up from the supplier for free; the box is free; I mean, what's not to like there!!

You simply have to shop around to find the best deal. It never hurts to let a supplier know you would like for them to offer a different shipping method like Flat Rate USPS... or that you'd like to buy from them but cannot justify their particular shipping deal.

I know EXACTLY what you mean Jeanie, about the supplier in WI and the one in NC and NC being cheaper to you even though you're in WI.

I just lucked up and realized, I have a supplier 40 miles from my house that carries my wax , so I wont have to be ordering out of NC for wax, just FOs.

One thing I do take into consideration when dealing with shipping costs, is not only the travel time it takes to get to me, but also the "turn around "time from the company Im ordering from, to get it TO UPS or FedEx.

I get really ill, when it takes literally 3 days to PROCESS a one case of wax order ( thats it, just one case ) and then 5 to 6 days to ship it....... when I can order from someone else who's shipping MIGHT be higher but I get it four days sooner!

I get really ill, when it takes literally 3 days to PROCESS a one case of wax order ( thats it, just one case ) and then 5 to 6 days to ship it....... when I can order from someone else who's shipping MIGHT be higher but I get it four days sooner!
I use a wax supplier out of PA for most of my wax and they ship speedy. But on other stuff I might need... if I need it in a hurry, I will pay extra shipping somewhere else to get it sooner. In fact, sometimes I'll pay more for the product to get it here sooner. I blame it all on the forum giving me new ideas of stuff to try :laugh2: Edited by jeanie353