Gift Shop

crazzie

Yeah! I am assuming this is consignment? Make sure you have good inventory paperwork. I make a printout of what I drop off, have 2 copies and we both sign each copy. I have one for my records and they have one for theirs. I also do a consignment agreement which clearly states terms and payment info.

Yeah!!! Just make sure you do make detailed lists that both of you sign. I just had a lady close up her shop with no notice & she now will not give me back the items I had in her store or the stand they were on:( She gave two sob stories but now she is ignoring me. I'll get them back one way or another. Just be careful who you deal with. Fron now on I'll only deal with shops that have been in busines for awhile. Maybe I'll even ask for references!!!

The other thing I would add to the advise already given is to make sure to include that the store is responsible for your portion of any product that is "missing". I had one salon that I had product in that I KNOW either pocketed the $ of the owner helped herself to product. She refused to be responsible for the missing product. Lost about $150 in product in a little over a month. Needless to say the display was pulled immediately!

I am sorry that happened Cathy. That is theft as far as I am concerned..

She has given countless excuses-I;,m done small claims court here we come. She never even tried to contact me to say she was closing & I'm only a mile from the shop. Oh well-don't piss or rip me off!!

Yeah!!! Just make sure you do make detailed lists that both of you sign. I just had a lady close up her shop with no notice & she now will not give me back the items I had in her store or the stand they were on:( She gave two sob stories but now she is ignoring me. I'll get them back one way or another. Just be careful who you deal with. Fron now on I'll only deal with shops that have been in busines for awhile. Maybe I'll even ask for references!!!

Something similar just happened to me. Only she went out of business and emailed me to pick up what was left of my candles. I only lost about $20 but she did offer to trade what she had in the store. It was not a big loss but it was a loss.

My point is remember that in this economy many shops and businesses can close on a dime and if they are going bankrupt you will never see your product again once their doors close.

I quit doing consignments a long time ago. This one shop was the exception. She was local and I just wanted to help her out. I should have followed my gut instincts and never agreed to it.

You really should have a consignment agreement that spells out the terms that protect you so you at least have documentation. This will help if you have a fall out, disagreement, or the shop goes belly up. But keep in mind if those doors close you probably won't see your product or payment ever again.

The other thing I would add to the advise already given is to make sure to include that the store is responsible for your portion of any product that is "missing". I had one salon that I had product in that I KNOW either pocketed the $ of the owner helped herself to product. She refused to be responsible for the missing product. Lost about $150 in product in a little over a month. Needless to say the display was pulled immediately!

Last month I had gone into the shop and was told that 7 of the 16oz ball jars were missing, either the new girls forgot to write down the sale or the candles were taken, but the owner of the shop gave me 50% instead of 75% for each of the missing candles. I still made some kind of profit even at 50% of the price. I was just pleased she was understanding and gave me the amount she did for each candle.

Another thing to check into other than just making sure they are responsible for any missing items is, if their insurance covers them taking on consignments and will cover it in case of fire, theft, flood, accidental breakage, etc.... my first consign, I had an agreement signed, that included "missing" items........ they had a tornado level the building, and come to find out, she didnt have a business license nor insurance much less the types that covered a consignment shop or its contents. Needless to say , I didnt see a dime out of about 400.00 retail price of product....... and as much as I wanted to in one way, I couldn't very well press the issue, the lady had just lost her livlihood. I felt horrible for her but that was a good chunk out of my pocket too :(