wax tarts

jackiemoz

Well I tested my wax tarts last week. I only had two scents from Candle Science. I had Pumpkin and Apple Orchard. Well I could definitely smell them but they didn't last long. I used the Ecosoya and 1oz F per Lb. Then I got out my Scentsy tarts and one of them lasted for days. So I guess my question is do I keep trying other scents or should I go with a paraffin/soy mix. I followed the directions exactly. I read the comments about the lady that added 3oz per pound so I need to make the wax more effective to throw if I am going to use soy. Do you have any better throw the higher you heat the wax but figured this would burn off the scent faster when cooling. Anyone use just paraffin for wax tarts? Thanks everyone..:rolleyes2

If you are using clamshells and it is important to you to stay with soy you might wanna try the GB415. I used that in the past for clamshells and it works pretty good. GB415 seems to have a better HT, IMO. Probably not so good if using metal molds.

Otherwise, yes, you might wanna switch to paraffin.

I have never had a tart last more than 10 hours, soy or paraffin. I've tried scentsy, blankey, a ton of local companies, and a couple of popular wax shops online. I am considering switching to paraffin for tarts though I think they do last a little longer, and they are less finicky.

CandleAddict_RN How much FO do you use, and what kind of warmer?

The tarts I'm testing now, I use 8%. Some scents I have had duds where they didn't last long or were just weak all around but most so far have been great. Now let me clarify, when I said 2 days, I turn the warmer on in the early AM and off when I go to bed. So I guess you could say approx. 24-36 hours with some longer. I wasn't sure if that was good or not because I have heard some folks here say theirs last a week! I have never used Scenty so I can't compare but I have had some co-workers test some for me in there Scenty burners and were very pleased. :) I am using 2 warmers I picked up at Walmart. One is a Better Homes one and the other I think was just an off brand. Both use 25watt bulbs. I also have a nightlight plug in style that I got off ebay. I think it uses a 15watt bulb.

I always use electric warmers or 40W bulb burners with soy- I use a PB /135 blend and they last for a couple days (second day not as strong but still there)

Try like Deb suggested 1.5 ounces per pound and add your FO hotter (165 to 175 range) and see what happens- I did not like PB alone myself, adding another soy helped tons!

The Ecosoya wax I used was from candle science. I think I heated it to 185 and poured at 165, notes are at home. Can we remelt the tarts to add more fragrance or would that be just burning off the fragrance already in it. Guess will have to try the 1.5 F load next time but getting ready to try out the ky para soy to test. Love all the ideas about glitter and such. Does anyone use spices like cinnamon and nutmeg?

There are several types of Eco Soya wax- CB Xcel, Pillar Brand, CB Advanced, and CB-135. It makes a difference as to which one you're using.

I use a blend of Pb and xcel and get great results. I heat to 185 and add the FO and dye. I pour at 145-155. I use 1.2 oz of FO per pound.

Thanks suzyk, I had used the PB alone. So I will check out the excel too. Thanks so much for your recommendation. I will have to try that next time. Just ordered the Ky para soy blend, 5pounds was the smallest. So it might take me awhile to go through it.

• 2 weeks later...

OH no, don't start the "triple scented" debate again..:laugh2:You can go search for past threads regarding that subject and see what I mean... As far as if a wax will hold 3oz pp - I suppose it's "possible" - but why? If you get your system down right you shouldn't need it.

Edited by ksranch

LOL franu61... but I'm "scentsing" a fire with 3oz of FO in a pound of wax !

Why would you want to put 3 oz in a pound anyway???? Not only is it mega expensive, and if you could get it to bind/blend without causing an explosion or fire.... If you get a good FO/wax combo, you just dont need more than 1.5 oz in a pound if you ask me. JMO tho.