what does bayberry smell like?

leenabug

My friends sister is here visiting and will be leaving soon. She wanted me to mix up a bayberry scent in melts/tarts. Since this is a "now" thing, I dont have time to order any bayberry, so Im trying to work with what i have. The problem is I dont even know what bayberry smells like! From scent descriptions, it sounds like maybe I could mix my pine and blackberry pie scents, add a little cinnamon? She knows I dont have a actual bayberry scent and that Im trying to "create" one for her.............Can you describe it to me?

well here is what I did....I was totally bummed out when I found out bayberry was its own smell......But I had told them I would try to come up with something....so I mixed .40 of o christmas tree, .20 of blackberry pie and .15 of cinnamon, so then I had .75 fo and I added 10oz of wax to it. Surprisingly, the first person that smelled of it thought it was bayberry! Then after a couple of people kept smelling of it, they said they could tell something was "off". They said it really reminded them of bayberry but a little smoother. So I think i added too much blackberry pie. Anyways, the bayberry lover is smelling of it tomorrow so I'm curious as to what he thinks...............Its not a big deal cause they knew I was just playing around with trying to create a smell he liked and its not like I was filling an order or anything. I also did some straight " O christmas tree, some redwood & cedar, & something my mom calls "almost Christmas" which is O christmas tree added to some christmas eve. To me that christmas eve smells like that old fashioned hard candy or ribbon candy. Hopefully between all of them he will like something!

p.s. I accidently created a scent while working on that bayberry. I took it to a family gathering tonight. Several people kept asking me what it was, said it smelled great! I was just smelling it for the first times myself so I just blurted out "Victorian Christmas" ! lol! Then I heard people saying they really liked that victorian christmas melt that was on the table! So now Im anxious to try it as a candle. (these were all melts) I mixed o christmas tree with equal amounts of balckberry pie and maples & apple bourbon, then as I was adding it to wax, I added a couple drops of burning hot cinnamon...........ya never know when ya gonna stumble upon a good one! I usually have horrible luck with mixing oils.....hope this one works for me:) It got more comments than any of the other melts I took...........

the bayberry lover bought all the "bayberry " melts! he said he liked them! He didnt say it was a true bayberry but it was enought that it satisfied him. everyone is still saying they really like the victorian christmas one..............This may be a keeper for me!

• 2 weeks later...

You should really get a straight bayberry sometime so you can smell it. It just doens't smell like anything else or like the "bayberry" you blended. I'm happy that you have a keeper but you may want to rethink the name and leave the bayberry part of the name off. Reason being eventually your customers will start calling you out on it. There are some who don't know exactly what it smells like and will accept it. But those that know what a true bayberry smells like will comment on it and it could be embarassing. Just saying.