Unhappy customer :(

I had a customer today that was upset because she said that the 3 candles she had gotten "had no smell". She had Pina Colada, Sugar Cookie, Cinnabun from NG. We use 1.5 ounce to a pound of 415 and in the past 2 years have never ever had anyone complain like this. The candles are stock that is probably going on 6 months old but have a secure lid.

I asked her to bring them back and I will exchange/refund. I want to test burn them myself. Any ideas what might of happened?

And the final insult to all this she said that the lady where she just got a tanning package makes candles too and she had a caramel one lit that was strong through the building.

Ok I vented and I am open to any suggestions?

Johnna

Maybe nothing went wrong. Testing them at you place will show one way or the other. Maybe the customer's nose is not sensitive to those scents or they were burned in a room with high ceilings and a lot air flow. Who knows? I'd worry more if you started getting multiple complaints about the same candles. That said, I know the sinking feeling one gets when you hear such things. A little piece of us goes into every candle we make.

I agree that it could just be the individual. I have a candle that the scent will fill just about my entire house (upstairs and downstairs), but when I took it over to my 72 year old fathers house, he couldn't even smell it in the same room. Some people may be able to detect certain scents better than others, and that might be why she might smell the caramel one better.

I had a customer today that was upset because she said that the 3 candles she had gotten "had no smell". She had Pina Colada, Sugar Cookie, Cinnabun from NG. We use 1.5 ounce to a pound of 415 and in the past 2 years have never ever had anyone complain like this. The candles are stock that is probably going on 6 months old but have a secure lid.

I asked her to bring them back and I will exchange/refund. I want to test burn them myself. Any ideas what might of happened?

And the final insult to all this she said that the lady where she just got a tanning package makes candles too and she had a caramel one lit that was strong through the building.

Ok I vented and I am open to any suggestions?

Johnna

You might ask her try burning them in a different location in her house. If I burn one in my kitchen, I get next to nothing. Put it in the living room, much better. Guess it's the air flow? It's worth a shot.

I made some test candles two weeks ago and made two sets of each scent all from the same batches. I then gave my mother one of each scent and I kept the other, since I know my mother will be brutally honest with me. My linen candle ran me out of the room the scent was so strong, but my mother said when she burnt her's, she could not smell it unless she stuck her nose up to it.

So maybe it is the person and not the candle.

I am still new to the whoel candle-making and still going through testing steps, so I can't tell you what might have went wrong, but I can tell you that I have already learned that two people can get two different smelling-views from the same candle. :)

I am anxiously awaiting the return of the candles. She said she tried them in her apartment and her son's apartment and no smell. I agree she might have a faulty "nose". My booth at the flea market had 3 candles lit and I am next to the air vent so the scent moves around and she said she didnt smell anything there either. If the candles are fine and it is her nose I doubt she would ever agree with that and I hate to think she would give negative information about me <sigh>

• 2 weeks later...
I am anxiously awaiting the return of the candles. She said she tried them in her apartment and her son's apartment and no smell. I agree she might have a faulty "nose". My booth at the flea market had 3 candles lit and I am next to the air vent so the scent moves around and she said she didnt smell anything there either. If the candles are fine and it is her nose I doubt she would ever agree with that and I hate to think she would give negative information about me <sigh>

So, did you ever get them back?? How did it turn out?