Shopped at a craft fair today, saw very frosted soy candles

I don't sell at craft fairs/shows, only go as a shopper. There was a seller there of all soy candles and they were frosted. She didn't have lids on her jars. I was trying to see them through the eyes of someone who knows nothing about candles (and that might as well be true for me) but since reading about frosting and wet spots on this board, I knew what it was. I struck up a conversation with her, told her I make tarts but only sell via web, etc. I mentioned to her, very politely, that I know some chandlers don't like frosting. She said she would love to get rid of it but didn't know how. Well, neither do I but I told her I would ask. (I did tell her about this board and strongly encouraged her to join!) I thought you have to add paraffin but she said she doesn't want to do that. I think I also remember that some dye causes frosting but not sure if that was colors or brand or type of dye, liquid vs block, etc. I have her card to email her. She said she uses 464 and nothing else.

I guess my question is was I right to tell her some dyes cause frosting and that paraffin would help?

P.S. Lots of handmade soap sellers.

Yes there are some things she could do to help her with her frosting issues like Paraffin, beeswax, other soy wax, having non colored candles, switching to frosted jars, etc... Glad that you pointed her here to look but sometimes you just can't help with the frosting issue and people that buy soy candles know that.

why do you feel you need to tell her ANYTHING?......just move on.

We struck up a friendly conversation and she seemed to be concerned about the look of the frost. Being a nice person (what a concept, you should try it some time), I told her I might be able to help her out.

I am going to email her the link of this thread.

I think that's great that you were trying to help her out! I wish more people would be like that. My kids are finally getting the idea when I take someone's cart up for them at the grocery store. I've even waited for an elderly lady to finish putting the groceries in her car, offering to help, just so she didn't have to worry about putting the cart away. It amazes me the shocked looks I get, like they just can't fathom someone actually going out of their way to be nice. I don't see it as going out of my way. I'm walking up to the store and need a cart anyway, so why the heck not? :-)

I'm still new at candle making, but I've learned not to fret too much if there's frost on the sides. I'm making the switch to tins, though, just because I think they look cleaner. I've had a couple candles frost on the top, though, and I hate that. Sometimes reheating the tops takes it away, other times it makes it worse....grrrr.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi This forum is great. I’m getting a lot of ideas. I’m new to candle making. I really enjoy it but I am going crazy with the frosting on the sides of the glass containers. I'm finding that CB advanced is the worst for frosting on the sides and I make it worse when I use a heat gun. I’ve heard that Crisco is good to add. What can I do to eliminate frosting in my candles? I add fragrance and liquid colour.

Hi This forum is great. I’m getting a lot of ideas. I’m new to candle making. I really enjoy it but I am going crazy with the frosting on the sides of the glass containers. I'm finding that CB advanced is the worst for frosting on the sides and I make it worse when I use a heat gun. I’ve heard that Crisco is good to add. What can I do to eliminate frosting in my candles? I add fragrance and liquid colour.

You should probably start a new thread so more people will see it. Also, try using the search feature above for other discussions about frosting. Frosting is an issue for all of us who use soy.

Yes, start a new thread. I am, however, confused a little as most posts here (and my experience too) state that CB-Advanced is very resistant to frosting. The issue with CB-A has been more hot throw than how the candle looks. Regarding adding extra ingredients, I have never found anything that completely stops frosted except for adding a small amount of paraffin.

I also think that it was very nice of you to offer advice to her and try and help her out. That is the problem today everybody is just out for themselves. That's great that your kids are seeing you do these things hopefully they will grow up and do the same. Keep up the good work!!

What temp are you heating too ? Pouring at ?

I'm surprised to hear about bad frosting with CBA. I started out with CBA about a year ago and totally loved it for the pretty, smooth appearance and no frosting... but I changed because of the difficulty with hot throw. I still have a few tarts (clamshells) that I made back then and they are still free of frost.

handlers who don't give a whoop about frosting; because my customers never have. I figured why give myself headache trying to fix something that wasn't broken. It adds a rustic charm that is unique to soy wax.
How do you know how many people looked at those frosted candles and passed them by? People DO CARE about appearance, it just depends if you want the quick & easy sales or you want more. When I see frosted soy candles this tells me VOLUMES about the chandler and I do not buy their candles as a result.

Learning how to make high quality products which have great appearance and performance is HARD WORK. Being good at anything takes a lot of effort. If you are going for "prim," maybe you can pass off that "rustic charm" but if you are dealing with the general public who want a smooth pleasing appearance, your "rustic charm" looks like a poor quality product.

Reducing the incidence of frosting takes understanding and handling techniques. Different techniques help different waxes. To get significant frosting with CBA takes some effort...

There is a HUGE amount of information in these threads about dealing with frosting. Taking it up in a separate thread is wise as it is not a superficial topic.

Forget about using Crisco. The formula of Crisco changes frequently (as soapmakers know) and its ingredients sometimes can help, sometimes can hinder the process, but you will never know how much of what is in that particular batch of Crisco.

Edited by Stella1952