Testing first candle, advice please?

I've been making tarts for a little while now, and last week I made my first candle. I've made a few mistakes, but really need some advice on where to go now.

I used -

Glass (votive glass) - inside dia 2", height 2.5"

wax - GB464

FO - Vanilla 6%

wick - HTP 104 (I realise this is too big. I originally bought 2.5" container, then decided to use a smaller glass and forgot to use a smaller wick..facepalm moment about 15mins after starting to burn it.

First test burn this morning. Flame looked a little high, but not flame thrower high. Full melt pool in just 50 mins. Blew the candle out as I know it's wrong and will melt it down and start again.

Very little scent, even with my nose close enough to burn my lone nose freckle off.

So, I obviously need to up my FO and down my wick. Should I drop down to the HTP 83, or go the 93 to compensate for more FO?

And it wasn't all bad...looked lovely with a smooth flat top...big winner until the whole burning it part lol.

Thoughts of the experienced most appreciated!

Welcome!

So, I obviously need to up my FO and down my wick. Should I drop down to the HTP 83, or go the 93 to compensate for more FO?

Make changes one at a time. The wick is the obvious offender here. Wick down. I don't know what size to recommend 'cause I don't use those wicks, but someone who does will come along and chime in, I feel sure. Have fun!! : )

I don't use HTP wick for 464 but I use them in other waxes and, yes, a 104 is way to big. An 83 or 93 maybe be fine. The 104 will have a higher rate if wax consumption as it burns and may a) burn off your FO and or B) prevent the formation of a good melt pool. Wicking down can actually produce a larger melt pool because the molten wax stays in the container longer and melts wax that it contacts. The size of the melt pool to will contribute to the released FO. I have read that some soy waxes don't do well with vanilla and I have not as yet tried 464 with vanilla, plus there are many vanilla FOs out there some being better than other. Don't despair, just try another FO but not a vanilla. I would not suggest adding more FO at this point, 6% to 8% should be fine to get an idea if it will throw well. As Stella said, wicking is your problem right now. For 464 I would recommend CD wicks. I have not wicked a 2" container but sizes from 6, 7 and 8 would be places I would start at (CD7 and then work up or down).

Just another thought on that 2" container, that is about the diameter of a votive and I wouldn't pour one that small but that is just me. I do, however, work with the 2.5" containers. EcoSoya PB soy wax makes so mighty fine votives.

Ok, I'm not sure what GB 464 is, but I do use HTP wicks in soy at 9% FO load. For a jar that size, I would start with a 93. I haven't tried the 83, but I generally use an 8 oz. jelly jar to test which measures 2.5" x 3" to the lip of the jar, and I start with a 93 in that, and if I get hang-up or low throw, I try the 104. 104 seems to work well with many FO's, but each batch needs testing. HTH, and good luck!

Stella, if I'm way off base on this and GB 464 is paraffin, please guide Jaime back!

No need for me to guide Jaime - y'all did great! GB 464 is the big brother of GB 415, B@B. All soy plus USA, similar to NatureWax C3.

Jaime, I too prefer CDs & CDNs in soy waxes, but there are many ways to get where you're goin'... some folks like ECOs, LXs, Flat Braid, etc. Pour another couple of testers with the smaller sizes recommended a try and leave your FO load where it is for now. Don't jump ship on the wicks unless they just don't work out for ya.

Try not to stand right over the flame to judge the throw... you'll just burn out your nose (in several ways LOL). When you light up a tester, allow it to burn for a bit and don't stay in the room with it (keep it in sight from a doorway or something to be sure it hasn't done anything stupid). If you remain in the room, chances are your nose will become inured to the scent and you may misjudge the HT. Better yet, leave someone else watching over the candle and go outside for a half hour or so. When you return, chances are the fragrance should be a lot stronger than you originally thought it would be. Have a great weekend!!!

Thanks everyone!

I will order some more HTP wicks, and also some CDN's, and pour a range to test. I'll keep my FO at 6% and try another vanilla with smaller wicks, but also another FO (or 2)!.

I use Ecosoya Pillar for my tarts, and got some GB464 from a different supplier, just because it was cheaper and I wanted to try it out. I didn't like it for tarts, so finally getting around to making an actual candle seemed like a good use for it.

I do wish I had poured more though. It's a bit disappointing to wait a week to cure, only to find out in the first 30 mins that I stuffed up.

It had cooled and re hardened now, and still looks fab. Despite the burning issues, I'm quite proud of my first attempt.

just my 2 cents, but when I was testing with GB464 I found that the ECO wicks work well with it...did not care for HTP or LX. I am finding that CDN's and CD's (not to be confused with CSN's) burn well with soy.

The one in the pic is a dingo at Australia Zoo. My daughter was counting down for months to her 6th Birthday to do the dingo experience (had to be 6 to do it).

When I was younger we had a dingo x kelpie who looked like a dingo, but had the colouring of the red kelpie part of her, although not quite as dark.

What kind of dog do you have? I'd love to (one day) get another dog with similar features to a dingo - they are so beautiful.

post-12590-139458487022_thumb.jpgWhen you say votive glass do you mean this? you are pouring a container candle in a votive holder? I have never done this but I make Votives to burn in these with 464/PB and I use HTP and CD wicks- Htp 41 and 52 and CD 4 and 5 are what always work for me- it may be slighlty different using straight 464 and pouring right into the glass but this could be a good starting point for you to try out

you are pouring a container candle in a votive holder? I have never done this

Sure. This is very common. Votives are actually a blend of a container candle and a mini-pillar. They are designed to be burned in a close-fitting container, so they are like a container candle more than they are a free-standing pillar-type candle.

Hi Jaime, my Tiger was a Red Heeler {cattle dog}. They look very much like a dingo in the face although have a much more solid body.

I had to google a heeler for a reminder, and they do look very similar. Similar to a kelpie as well. I bet Tiger was gorgeous!

My suppliesr should be arriving today. I ordered a few different HTP's and CDN's so I can have a play around.

I couldn't get ECO wicks, but probably a good thing not to confuse myself any more lol

I ended up melting down the other candle and pouring into the bigger container with the same wick, so will see how that goes after I finishing playing the waiting game for a few more days.

I thought the little votive sized glass would be a good starting point, so that if (when) I made a mistake it was easy to remelt and start again without wasting too much. I have a terrible habit of forging ahead without as much thought as I should, so they seemed perfect lol.

I thought the little votive sized glass would be a good starting point, so that if (when) I made a mistake it was easy to remelt and start again without wasting too much. I have a terrible habit of forging ahead without as much thought as I should, so they seemed perfect lol.

Nothing wrong with starting off with a votive glass container and these make lovely little gift sized candles :)

I think you'll find that you may be able to go down to a htp 73 for that size (pictured) or a cdn 6 or 7.

If you're in Oz, then you're only choices are htps or cdns as you know :)

If you're in Oz, then you're only choices are htps or cdns as you know

Indeed we seem to have a very poor selection compared to the US. On the other hand, I guess it's a lot less confusing when you have a LOT less options. I spend so much time drooling in the classified section on this site though, thinking "If only..."

I can test one of my candles tomorrow! I keep reaching for it thinking "does 12 hours *really* matter", then mentally slapping myself for my impatience...

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have finished testing my second attempt and I'm not overly happy with the results - although no injuries or house fires, so it's promising :)

Details -

Wax - 464

Wick - HTP 83

FO - vanilla 6%

Container dia - top 2.5" bottom 2"

height 2"

Burned in 2 - 2.5 hour intervals. There was another burn not shown, but OH has the camera, and still a bit over 1/2" of wax left.

On the first burn I had a full melt pool in about 40 mins, but the glass is not clean (I know there is a word for that, but my brain isn't being helpful this morning).

Scent throw was very poor.

I've probably left out a whole heap of important observations, but that's a start anyway.

The melt pool makes me think go down a size, but the wax left on the jar tells me no and I'm confused!

Any suggestions or opinions or slapping around appreciate :)

post-13678-139458488537_thumb.jpg

I would try a size down, personally. FMP in 40 minutes is troublesome. It is normal to have some hangup after the first burn or even 2nd or 3rd. This cleans off toward the end as yours has done. What you see on your glass is simply residue. How hot was the container toward the end? If my hunch s correct, the wick may have been burning off the FO. When you say "vanilla" which vanilla did you use from whom?

On the 3rd test burn, the container got quite hot. I could touch it an pick it up, but wouldn't be able to hold it for any length of time. After all the other burns though, it was comfortable to handle. I'm not sure why the 3rd was different?

The vanilla is just "vanilla" from Aussie candle supplies. I don't know who supplies to them from the US ( I assume they get them from someone over there though).

I've added in a pic of the container after the last burn, when it was completely cooled. If that is residue, is there a way to overcome that problem, or does that come down to wick as well, and will not happen when I get the right wick?

post-13678-139458488577_thumb.jpg

I think of residue this way: soy wax is very viscous and opaque. When I drink a glass of milk, it leaves a film on the glass. When I drink water, it doesn't. Paraffin leaves a more transparent film. Palm wax leaves a slight film as well.

Perhaps some of the Aussie members here can help you with local suppliers and the quality of their FOs.

Edited by Stella1952

That end of test candle looks pretty clean to me for soy but those previous pictures do look too hot. Wicking down (as others have suggested) would be the next thing to try. I don't mind a messy candle for the 1st half of the burn as it will clean up in the later half. A too hot candle in the 1st half may also mean that the HT in the second will be reduced as you have removed a fair amount of the FO already.

Vanilla like any FO will vary for supplier to supplier and you may have to test a few to find one that works well with your wax, wick and container set up.

• 2 months later...

Jaime, how did it go?

I'm from Australia too. I've recently been practicing with votive jars, 2" in diameter. I use Ecosoy Advanced with 8% FO, and a HTP 73 wick. Scent throw is great, seems to burn fine except I get a FMP within an hour.

In regards to fragrance oils, I purchased mine from Natures Garden. It's a US site but the scents are great.