Not happy with paraffin :(

Okay so tonight I tried the paraffin wax and boy was I let down big time. The difference between my soy and paraffin experiments are huge!

The paraffin was just yucky. The tarts I made were oily and wet, and the container candle I made was all sunk in, as were my tarts. And clean up was a nightmare.

My soy turned out beautifully. So I now know, I want to only use soy wax!

Just thought I would share :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for sharing. I've been considering testing out paraffin just to see the difference. I probably still will, but for now I'm pretty happy with my soy.

Definitely try it out. Everyone is different and you may love it! But I love the soy so much. It just seems so much prettier!

If that is the wax you got from HB, it is probably an inferior wax. Paraffin makes a great candle if you use the correct wax. I personally have not used paraffin in MANY years, but I never had troubles with it. Excellent scent throw from what I remember, takes color very well, and burns well when wicked correctly. I would not judge paraffin by one failed experiment. As far as making candles and tarts from the same wax, probably not meant for both, but I don't know exactly the wax, so just a guess.

There are probably 50 different kinds of paraffin on the market from Yaley to HL to HB to IGI, to proprietary blends. Many do require a re-pour (the sunken thing) but some don't. A good paraffin is a strong thrower and there are tart blends. However, a good soy is also a delight to work with. I'm glad you found a soy you like and if it works for you, stick with it.

I remember my first experience with soy. It was ecosoy 135. What a scent killer. Turned me off big time. I went to paraffin and palm and learned that getting the right paraffin was important. So I went back to try C3 and 464 and 444 and CB and found that they were all way better than 135, but by then, I was pretty sold on a couple of paraffin blends and I've pretty much stayed with paraffin.

Best wishes on the soy. Maybe some day we'll have a challenge between your soy and Stella's!

Yeah I'm sure it was probably was just a bad cheap brand of paraffin wax. And maybe someday I will try some more, with a different more well known brand. But for now, I think I'm going to just keep on keeping on with the soy wax. When you try something for the first time and it doesn't turn out very well at all, it normally ruins it for ya lol....But like i said, maybe one day!

Hmmm a soy challenge between me and Stella......I don't stand a chance I'm certain of it!! LoL

Perhaps you're giving up too quickly on paraffin? I use paraffin, but will also use parasoy (6006) on occasion. You couldn't give me enough money to switch to soy.... well, a few millions may do it, lol .... soy and I just do not get along, lol

True, most soy waxes will give you a nice, creamy finish, but so will paraffin. I have used 4630, 4633, TCS, 4794, 4627 and CBL129; they're all paraffin waxes. All gave me great, creamy results with the exception of CBL129 and 4794 which have a translucent quality. Some do require a second pouring, but all give me fantastic HT within a relatively short time (3 days average).

Good luck, no matter which wax you choose :-)

One definitely needs to research the type of paraffin and whether it is a single pour, low shrinkage, plain paraffin. I can make single pour paraffins that looks just like soy in smoothness and texture. Just like soy, one needs to work with it.

post-13162-139458486946_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjdaines

If that is the wax you got from HB, it is probably an inferior wax. Paraffin makes a great candle if you use the correct wax. I personally have not used paraffin in MANY years, but I never had troubles with it. Excellent scent throw from what I remember, takes color very well, and burns well when wicked correctly. I would not judge paraffin by one failed experiment. As far as making candles and tarts from the same wax, probably not meant for both, but I don't know exactly the wax, so just a guess.

Hobby Lobby paraffin isn't inferior, but it's most definitely not intended for containers.

Your candles are lovely. What hour is the lit one on please? TIA! hijacking sorry

One definitely needs to research the type of paraffin and whether it is a single pour, low shrinkage, plain paraffin. I can make single pour paraffins that looks just like soy in smoothness and texture. Just like soy, one needs to work with it.

As stated, don't give up on pariffin due to one bad experience. Likely the issue was you didn't know what application that specific wax was for - as in, you use different pariffin for containers than pillars etc. It's all I use, and get great results in multiple applications. But, either way, you are definately hooked - good luck with your addiction!

Go with your guts. Different strokes for different folks and all that. Certainly one experience isn't representative of all, but I have always been put off by the difference in the feel of soy & palm waxes vs. paraffin, so I can understand what you are trying to articulate. The appearance of the wax certainly depends on the application and if you used a pillar formula for a container, I can understand that you might be underwhelmed with the outcome.

Ok so I woke up this morning and the candle and the tart I made last night are just plain ugly. I'm even embarrassed to have them sitting out on my counter right now, and think I will just dump them in the trash. They are nasty!!! What a huge let down. The only thing good I can say about my experience with the paraffin is that it does hold color much better.

But...I'm just going to buy some liquid dye and stick to soy wax. It's so much creamier and pretty and just looks so nice. And it's so much easier to clean up the mess!!!

Post a pic. I want to see something that looks so bad you don't want to touch it, LOL.

LOL!!! It's all slimey and sunk in. You touch it and get covered in green oil. I'm not that type that freaks out when touching something not so pleasant, the candle just doesn't appeal to me at all. But I will post a photo!

LOL!!! It's all slimey and sunk in. You touch it and get covered in green oil. I'm not that type that freaks out when touching something not so pleasant, the candle just doesn't appeal to me at all. But I will post a photo!

Slimey?? Wow, something went wrong in the making if its sweating.. could go back to the wax itself. I really hate to see you be so totally turned off on pariffin due to this. I mean, soy is fine and if that's your choice that's fine - but the results you got here are Not normal for pariffin, just sayin.

Edited by ksranch

Would have to know the particular directions you followed to give an idea of what went wrong, but again, this is not normal.

I added dye fragrance and stearic acid around 150. The darn directions on this package were so vague!!! All it said was meltpoint around 133...melt and add your stuff.