My first.

Cerridwen

Just wanted to stop in, say Hi, and share my first candle.

I’ve been making B&B stuff & soaps for a little while now and just recently decided to try my hand at candles.

I poured my first one Sat night and think it’s pretty good for a first try. I used C3 soy, uncolored, in a 12oz status jar, 2.75” diameter, HTP 105 wick, scented with a lavender FO. All of these came in a kit I bought from a supplier close to me. It smells great, now to keep my hands off from it for a few more days while it cures will be a challenge!

DSC04613-1.jpg

I’ve been doing a lot of reading and researching on this site already and am grateful for all of the info I’ve found. What an amazing resource this site is! Thank you. Hopefully I’ll be able to give a little back over in the soap and B&B sections until I start getting a better idea of what the heck I’m doing with candles. LOL

Beautiful candle! Well done...You chose a good wick size to start with. I use c-3 too and all htp's which I love....I've just started playing with cd's and cdns and are very pleased since I'm doing some hard to wick jars. If that wick doesn't work out for you, I'll bet you 1 htp 126 will be a perfect size as I use a jar that size as your status. Keep us posted.....and don't forget to burn all the way to the end.

Trappeur

Beautiful candle! Well done...You chose a good wick size to start with. I use c-3 too and all htp's which I love....I've just started playing with cd's and cdns and are very pleased since I'm doing some hard to wick jars. If that wick doesn't work out for you, I'll bet you 1 htp 126 will be a perfect size as I use a jar that size as your status. Keep us posted.....and don't forget to burn all the way to the end.

Trappeur

Thank you for the suggestion.

Thanks for posting the info

Your very welcome!

BEAUTIFUL!!! As you can see, the heat needs to be centered in your container (wait until the next burn to adjust this when the MP is liquid again), but the burn looks VERY GOOD at this point. Please keep posting your test burn pics so we can follow the progress of this lovely candle.

But I thought you are to get a melt pool completely before outing the candle
This is not desirable, especially on 1st and sometimes 2nd burns on wider or, especially, deeper containers. Soy wax is a slower burn than paraffin. It is more viscous and requires a larger wick. The heat from that wick will be less in the first couple of burns because they are at the beginning of the candle. As the candle burns down into the container, the walls contain the heat and reflect it back into the interior, raising the temperature. If the candle starts out with a FMP, chances are it would be way too hot as it gets to the middle and end portions of the container. This is what is meant when people say "wick for the last half" (or last third) of the container. The small amount of hangup you see now will likely "catch up" further down into the container when things heat up a little more.

If this were a palm wax candle, the hangup would be even more pronounced and should persist until the halfway point before it "catches up" at the end. HTH

Where'd you find it?
Elementary, my dear Watson. Cerridwen said she picked up the kit locally. Genwax is the only supplier in her neck of the woods that carries C3. : )

http://www.generalwax.com/glass-container-jars--lids--amp--gift-boxes/glass-containers---jars/cate_104/p___P0892419.html

These are not Libbey, but I like them better. I have trashed several Dollar Store & a couple of Libbey status jars when I pushed the top on with a little too much authority, off-center, and it popped out a wicked crescent from the lip of the container. I switched to hex jars because of it even though I like the look of the Status jars far better. These "lippier" ones will not have that same propensity. Nice design improvement. Gotta get me some...

Edited by Stella1952

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement!:o

Stella~ So how exactly do I get the "heat centered" when I've got the MP going again? Do I try and flip the wick curl the other direction, or twist it somehow? Did I not center it well enough when I poured it?

Hmm.... off to play with the search button LOL!

I'm happy so many of you like these jars and now have a place to buy them. While it is still glass, they do seem to be pretty sturdy. It was pure beginners luck on my part to find them.

I went back to their retail outlet on Wed and wiped them out of C3 for now and picked up a case of smaller/ cheaper 7 oz containers to really experiment with the wax/wick/FO combos for now. I figure smaller jars+ FO with no HT or wrong wick size= less waste of good wax! Down the road when I feel confident, really know what the heck I'm doing and am ready to sell, I'll re-test in those status jars again with the FOs I like working with and offer those as well.

So how exactly do I get the "heat centered" when I've got the MP going again? Do I try and flip the wick curl the other direction, or twist it somehow? Did I not center it well enough when I poured it?

It's the self-trimming stance of the wick. Keeping the wick centered is part of normal candle burning maintenance, although what you are really trying to accomplish is centering the heat, not the wick. The side in the direction of the curl is the hotter side, so when the MP is liquid, grab something non-flammable (like a skewer or something) and push the base of the wick (below the surface of the wax) toward the side where the hangup is. To even out the burn in the future, twist the wick a few revolutions before securing it at the top before you pour. As it burns, it will rotate and, thus, even out the burn. Some people place the wicks slightly off center to compensate, but I don't like how it looks - looks like the wick is off center (which it is!) and that drives me crazy (which isn't a far drive). : )

I went back to their retail outlet on Wed and wiped them out of C3 for now and picked up a case of smaller/ cheaper 7 oz containers to really experiment with the wax/wick/FO combos for now. I figure smaller jars+ FO with no HT or wrong wick size= less waste of good wax!

I like their little 4 oz. jars, too.

http://www.generalwax.com/glass-container-jars--lids--amp--gift-boxes/glass-containers---jars/cate_104/p___P0755635.html

Ok, thanks! I just read a few threads about the "twisting" method and I'll try that tomorrow when I get to play again. Now I need to go and look at my wicks and see if I can see the arrows on them that others were talking about too.

Those are cute jars too.