I'm Frustrated

AnnieD

I am still learning to do melt-and-pour but feel some of the Halloween soaps I have been making are darling. I packaged up a bunch of those and some pretty rose soaps I made and took them to work to see if anyone would buy. I will put photos at the bottom of this page. I priced them at $3 each or 2 for $5. They are full size bars and bags of 5 small soaps. Did I really overprice them?

Not one person bought any. Not even any of the folks I consider "friends" who might just get one to make me feel good, LOL. I had given samples to several people a few weeks ago and they said they really liked them.

I'm really sad because I love doing this and had hoped I could make some money doing it. At least I know before going to the trouble of getting a tax ID, insurance, etc. and trying craft shows or online selling.

I still want to make soaps, but I have a very small family/friends circle. We can only use so much soap.

How can I justify buying supplies and making soaps if I can't sell them? Thanks for any input.

post-13801-139458486339_thumb.jpg

post-13801-139458486328_thumb.jpg

post-13801-139458486343_thumb.jpg

I cannot speak for everyone. I can only speak for myself when I say that in my many years of business, I have not sold a single thing to a friend. They just never buy from me. I never have a problem with a total stranger. Perhaps a friend thinks that they will CONTANTLY be obligated to buy from me. Who knows? I have quite never figured this out, and it honestly isn't all that important.

Your prices seem too LOW to me. Is there a small craft show that you could try with complete strangers shopping about? LOL! Do not be discouraged and do not under price just to make a sale.

Edited by Noodle

Thanks for the input, Noodle. I see your point about selling to friends. If I decided to try a small craft show, would I need to get a tax ID, insurance, etc.?? I really want to get an idea of how my soaps will be received before I commit big-time. Thanks again.

If I relied on my co-workers and friends to support me...I'd really be in the poor house. Don't give up. There are lots of people in the United States. It takes a lot of advertising and work to sell anything. Keep your chin up, keep making your soaps and write your goals (what you want out of a soap business) down.

Thank you, Linda! Right now I would just like to be able to justify the time and effort to make them. I am LOVING this more than any other hobby or craft I've ever done. I'll take a deep breath and give it thought.

Edited by AnnieD

When I started another crafter told me that even though you think your family and friends will buy your product, they won't. Boy was he right. I did my biggest one day show 10 days ago with over $1200.00 in sales and have not sold one candle or tart to anyone I work with in 3 years. Like you I gave my coworkers (34 of them) a free candle of their scent choice. They all raved about how nice they were but not one of them has ever ordered a thing. But when the Scensty book hits the lunchroom they can't wait to get a hold of it. Don't give up. The sales are out there. In the end I'm happy that my home business is not mixed with my real job.

Annie, I get frustrated too about making sales and trying to support my crafting habit. I have a fairly large family, both immediate and not so immediate relatives, and they all know I make candles & soap, but I haven't really sold anything to any of them. My nieces all burn candles in their home but they buy from someone else and not me, which I find insulting but whatever. I have some craft shows this past summer that resulted in no sales, but quite a few people take business cards or ask questions and I got my name out there. It is frustrating and disappointing sometimes, but you love what you are doing and enjoy crafting, don't give it up. :)

Other than for my parents, very very few family / friends have bought from me. However, I have been going to craft shows and selling them very successfully for 3 years now.

I agree w/ the poster that said that your soaps are priced too low. Especially that bath bar (the oval one w/ a rose on it), I sell just ONE of those (in a plastic ziplock bag) for 3 dollars. I usually charge $1 per 1 oz.

Don't be discouraged. Strangers out there love my stuff and I do pretty good w/ all that business... Good luck with your business..

Las

I cannot tell ya'll how encouraging your replies are to me. Thank you so much!! I'm going to regroup and keep playing and practicing and research local, small craft shows for spring 2012. I don't think I have time to come up with enough soaps, etc. for a Christmas show. Now to read about how to do that!

Thanks again, everyone.

P.S. The Scentsy books, etc. get passed around here, too. For the record, I have never bought from them....their name annoys me for some reason. :D

Once you start going to local craft shows you will also get an idea of what people are looking for or want to buy. For instance the local craft show that I attend 4x a year is different each time. Sometimes it's the soap that sells, other times it's tarts & candles and I don't know which is going to sell until I am at the show. I just did one of them this past weekend, it's a 2 day show, and I would say most were looking for something a bit different than what someone else had. I don't know how many times people stopped and commented on the wax dipped clothespins I displayed or the tulle wreaths that I make. It's different and not everyone makes them, it made me stand out this past weekend.

As far as your prices for your soaps, I figure on a $1/per ounce like someone else had said. My soap bars are around 4.5 ounces and are priced at $4.50 each.

Did you have anything on them to say what they are? Fragrance, or type of soap or anything? Ingredients list for those who have specific requirements?

Although they look like soap to me, and that is probably pretty obvious to most people, I almost wet myself giggling when my friend asked me if my wax melts were edible a while back.

They look lovely, and I'd certainly buy them (and my kids would go crazy over the spider one.)

I will often buy on look alone, but it's usually seeing a scent name (I won't pass up anything vanilla scented) that appeals to me, or "goats milk soap" or something that makes me think *I NEED to have that*

But as others have said, don't be discouraged as they are lovely, and even if your work mates don't buy them, there are plenty of people who would.

Thanks, Jaime. I didn't label by scent or "name" the soaps. I did put out a sign that said "Soap"...and the price. First time trying to sell for me, so I don't have ingredient labels or anything like that worked up yet. I had hoped to get input or reviews or opinions on my soaps before I invest time/money into getting all that together. This is all still a "maybe" thing for me. The selling/business anyway. I love making them.

I need to do lots of research on selling them legitimately and shoot for a small spring crafts fair.

I look at it as a blessing in disguise. Family and friends sometimes expect a discount because well they are family and friends. So don't worry over it.

Go ahead and try some craft shows. Those are the best way to meet your customers face to face and see what they realy like and buy. Its the best marketing tool I think-- first hand knowledge of what sells.

I also think your soap is underpriced. The going rate is approximately $1 to $1.25 per oz. So a 4 oz bar of handmade soap I'd sell in the price range of $4 - $5. I buy my base and soaping supplies by bulk so I can afford to sell mine at $4 a bar. I also offer a 4 for $15 sale and typically sell 4 at a time because of people like a good deal.

hi... I agree with all that has been stated.

I have only done one farmers market, but for several weeks in a row. Just get out there and see what happens. To get yourself started for labels and stuff you can get easy to print stuff at staples if that is what you want to do. I told lots of friends and family that I was going to be at the market. But I did not try and sell to them directly. As for work I work in IT and none of the men are interested in my product so I didn't even bother.. LOL Of those people I told that wanted to come and check me out did and did purchase product. The bulk of my sales were from strangers.

The best sale I had was when a woman purchased one item and then came back and got 50 dollars worth of stuff the next week. So flattering!

Your doing the right thing by setting a goal. Don't hesitate on signing up for one early spring. It makes you get organized and work on labels, packaging and having stock product.

GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks to you all for your input and encouragement. I was feeling pretty down when I started this thread.

I feel like I'm full of questions here, but I'll go ahead and ask. If I do try selling at a craft fair or similar, I'm not sure where to start. I would probably only do cash sales to start, but do I charge tax and claim my income from those sales? I want to be on the up-and-up. I've been reading here and other places on how to start, but am a bit confused about some of it. I'll keep researching!

Thanks to you all for your input and encouragement. I was feeling pretty down when I started this thread.

I feel like I'm full of questions here, but I'll go ahead and ask. If I do try selling at a craft fair or similar, I'm not sure where to start. I would probably only do cash sales to start, but do I charge tax and claim my income from those sales? I want to be on the up-and-up. I've been reading here and other places on how to start, but am a bit confused about some of it. I'll keep researching!

Since you're in Oklahoma check out your state's department of taxation to find help and answer your questions.

Love LOVE LOOOVE your packaging on the first 2 photos! Look like candy treats! I generally do not get orders from friends, family, and that is fine with me.

Was this setup at work? I just started a new job and am thinking of setting some gift baskets behind my office with a little sign, like, see Andrea for holiday orders or something.

Maybe set one of the soaps in the bathroom for people to use...

Do not get discouraged, even though it is hard not to, if you enjoy what you do and make a good product, I feel you will see success. But it will not happen in a day or a week even. Keep it up. BTW did I see a loofah soap?

Man, sounds like I need to give all of my friends an extra big hug! They've been so supportive of me! When I first began making soap, they were my revered testers (aka guinea pigs), and when I began selling, they were the first in line. I don't give them a discount, but I DO take care of them specially... extra samples and first dibs on stuff. I don't expect them to support my busness, but they've always bought candles, soaps, sculpture, pots, whatever I had for sale 'cause they like my stuff. I always think of them first when I have a new design or great scent... They order gifts from me, I hook 'em up, then their relatives, coworkers and friends call me, etc. Works nicely, but it's just a beginning for part-time income... can't depend on them for full-time income! For more than just hobbyist bucks, ya have to get out in the world and hawk your wares. I never go anywhere without some samples in my pocket, purse or truck. Gotta have cards, promotional flyers, and samples to entice locals to buy. I've only done a few shows - they are a nightmare for me - the details make me crazy and I hate sitting at them... but it's part of it, so I suffer through.

I think you'll do fine! You have a great start! :)

Thank you all! EnvyCandle, I loved the simple packaging, too. No, there isn't a loofah soap in that group, although I made my first one a week or so ago. I think I made it a bit too large so will probably slice it more thinly next time.

Yes, Stella, it sounds like you are blessed with good friends. Although I do understand that people might feel they would always be obligated to buy something if they bought once, it really would have upped my confidence a bit if someone had bought something.

I've got tons of ideas I want to try!