Success Stories

sakuraserra

I was wondering if anyone has a success story from starting the home business to quitting their job to work full time on it? It's not so I can see how you do it and steal your ideas. But I love reading other success stories, they give me hope and encouragement for the future. Anyways no biggie if no one says anything just thought I'd throw out an idea.

I've seen this similar question asked before and I think of the people that responded only one person said that they support themselves soley on their business. Maybe that is different now so I'd love to see if there are any updates on this topic as well. :-)

I did it! My husband and I are commercial beekeepers and I quit my job as a legal assistant because I felt I was not devoting enough time to my business to make it work. I did a craft show practically every summer weekend and had a website selling my products. Quiting my 8-5 allowed me to expand my product line and, with every item I added to my line, I found new a whole new customer base. Within 2 years I had completely replaced my salary. I could have probably done so sooner but I put a lot of money back into my business every year.

It can be done but it is a lot of hard work and, believe me, you won't be able to do with just internet sales. You have to get out there and physically sell your products. Craft shows are a lot of work but also can be a lot of fun and you meet the nicest people in the other vendors.

I have a success story, but not a very exciting one. LOL!

I was a stay-at-home mom with a newborn. I had left my job to have my first baby and felt guilty that I was so restless and not working. I thought having a baby should be enough for any woman. (I know that was just my depressed hormones at the time.) Anyway, I took my hobby and started to putter around with it. I was lucky to have a husband who had a very good job. I did not "risk it all". I am NOT that type of person. LOL! I did push my business though. It kept growing even after I had three kids. Honestly, it really started getting successful when my little one (now 7) went to school. I had a lot of time to devote to my business. My husband told me that he always knew I had it in me. But, he admits that he was shocked that I could draw a serious income from my business. I do not think that my story is all that unique, and I am sure that there are others like me.

Edited by Noodle

If you have a single cent coming from somewhere else, a spouse's paycheck, a relative, an unemployment check, a disability check, a single cent that helps pay the bills and living expenses, you can't claim y ou're solely supported by your business.

If you have a single cent coming from somewhere else, a spouse's paycheck, a relative, an unemployment check, a disability check, a single cent that helps pay the bills and living expenses, you can't claim y ou're solely supported by your business.

I respectfully disagree. I believe the spirit of the original post is asking if you could replace YOUR OWN full time income in with income from your business not necessarily the entire household income. No matter how hard I worked I could not replace both my income and hubby's, it's just not happening because he owns his own very successful business. Atleast that is how I read it.

Wessex...you are an amazing wax artist and you are/will be a success because you have the right attitude. Also, thank you for all that you have done for the rest of us. It is appreciated!!

Completely disagree! Lot's of success stories out there where the business is a source of income but not neccessarily the "only" one.

Who are you "NoName"??

I am guessing you are posting under this "NewName" since this is your only post!!

Didn't you want to post under your origional user name? LMAO

The question was not "Soley supporting yourself", but success stories..

Sounds like your a little angry or jealous Nonome. Guess you biz is not solely supporting itself!! LMAO...

ksranch said it perfectly...

Lot's of success stories out there where the business is a source of income but not neccessarily the "only" one.
Edited by islandgirl

Who are you "NoName"??

I am guessing you are posting under this "NewName" since this is your only post!!

Didn't you want to post under your origional user name? LMAO

I didn't even notice that it was their only post.....I suspect we have a troll starting trouble again...

I am just waiting for the day when I show an actual profit at the end of the year. I have been doing this 3 years now and I always show a loss when I do my taxes in January!

It took me a while to figure things out but I think I am getting close. My problem is I always want to try new things and learn new waxes and that of course costs money!

And let's not forget about always having to try out new FOs, especially when there is a sample sale going on somewhere!!! :rolleyes2

So because I had saved money from my good-paying job before my baby was born to buy my own supplies, advertise, cold call with an infant on my hip, I am not a success story? I sure am to myself and to my family. Honestly, this is all that matters- not how I am perceived. Knowing all the blood. sweat, and tears that I went through, along with countless others like myself, I cannot be upset or hurt by your words. Seriously, I can only chuckle. I had plenty of hurt and sadness trying to get this business to roll- that your words are honestly a joke. They are laughable at best. In fact, to every person who has been in my situation or is now trying to get over that enormously difficult hurdle to create a viable business, take this person's post as a lesson. You will never get anywhere with an attitude like that. LOL!

Edited by Noodle

Okay NoName... here's what I call a success story! No, my business isn't big enough to support us on it's own. But, this morning a youth leader brought 3 "challenged" 16 year olds over and we hand rolled cinnamon buns, glazed them, and adorned them with nuts. The kids learned a lot (was a good way to sneak in some math when measuring etc), had a great time and got to take home their creation. I never had opportunities to do things like this at my old 9 to 5 job, so I'll take the pay cut and be happy - you see, some people measure success with more than just a dollar sign - Thank You!

Edited by ksranch

Sounds like sour grapes "no name". I too consider myself a sucess story as does my husband and family so I guess I'll be satisfied with that. Kind of feel sorry for someone who has to try to make others feel less to make themselves feel better. Good luck with that "sucess" no name!

I retired and my wife quit work 11 years ago. At the time we sold our candles at craft shows and mail order from our website. Now, we have a store, no website, and will gross close to 400k this year. I receive a pension, and my wife receives SS. But we save all of that plus a lot more. Our home will be paid off in a year or so, and we will be debt free. I apologize for bragging, but I am proud of God's blessing to us. He has nudged us into good decisions over the years. So, anyone can start from scratch and have a successful business that supports them, but from our experience you must have another income source to live on. If we had quit our jobs prior to 11 years ago, we would have gone bust. It takes a long time to build up your business to the point where it supports you. Lots more I guess I could say about all of this, but I have to go make candles. :)

I don't know if it is a success story but from 2005 to 2007 I did make as much money with my candle business as I would have working outside the home. It was not enough to support myself and my husband's job paid the bills.

But now in this economy my income has dropped by 2/3. I am glad for those who made it big but I don't think that there are that many in the candle and B&B business.

I have a success story that doesn't pertain to money yet to me it is a success. A car accident caused me to stop working many years ago. I was not devastated because of the loss of car, the injuries but I was because I was no longer able to work. I loved working, it gave me a purpose and I felt I no longer had one. A few years later I began playing around with making candles. Soon it became a serious hobby/little business for me. I don't make much - if any - profit yet. What is so very important to me is I am a success because I now have a purpose and a goal even tho' I may never reach it, I won't stop trying.

noname...I understand your OP was about making money from candle making but you did use the word success and I define that in many different ways.

I believe my business is successful. I work fulltime but started soap and lotions five years ago so that when I retired I would have a little business established. It is too established already and I have 1 1/2 years left before I can retire. It took off faster than I expected and it does a good job for what it was intended. It supports my dairy goats. I make goat milk soaps and lotions and the original purpose was for the dairy herd to be self supporting because they can be an expensive hobby. Now when I retire I will not have to worry about not being able to afford to keep my goats. So I have reached my business goal already and I can only imagine how much more I can do when I can devote more time to the business.

And I will never be successful according to noname since I will be receiving a retirement check each month for my 34 years in public education.Oh well, I feel successful and that is all that matters.

I love reading all the success stories. Congrats to all of you and THANKS for sharing. My story is very similar to Adillenal's in that I'm still working full-time but I have 4-6 years before I retire completely. I hope to cut back a day every year until I quit completely. My employer is great and on board with my plan. This time of the year I sometimes feel like I'm working two full-time jobs but I love it.

Off topic but IMO the best way to handle No Name's post and any other post like them is to completely ignore them. By responding to them you're giving he/she just what they wanted. Be the bigger person and walk away. JMO.

PS - You're already successful Wessex.

The question was not "Soley supporting yourself", but success stories..

Exactly, I should have probably re-worded the question? Any kind of success is success, I think a lot have forgotten you don't have to make millions or hundreds of thousands in order to be a success. And saying you can't count your partners income or any other income is just silly. What I'm look for is encouraging stories, even if it's something simple it's still something! In this day and age with all the change and craziness that's going in the world it's very discouraging especially if you want to start a business, but I'm seeing a lot of success's even with this crazy life so I want others to see what I see and not give up their dream of starting a business, or even supporting their habits.

By responding to them you're giving he/she just what they wanted. Be the bigger person and walk away. JMO.

I see what you mean in life in general. However, in this case, I respectfully disagree. If it is a poster who is having a bad day, one who has regularly posted, is a contributing member, etc... I would ignore the comment. I just do not feel the need to be bigger than a troll. JMO.

The original poster DIDN'T ask if anyone supports themselves solely by their home business. They asked if anyone was workiing FULLTIME at it and had quit their job. Geesh!!!