Wicking CS Pumpkin Souffle 6006 in tins

I can't wick this fo. Using IGI 6006 8oz tins from CS and 1ounce pp of pumpkin souffle

from CS. I've tried CD 10, and 12's....both failed miserably. Now I'm testing ECO 8's. It's not dying but it's tunneling...already tried the 6's also...Please any suggestions!!Not happy right now. They also sent me the wrong TL 21's...they all died and were very small compared to the 13 and 15....I'm losing it. :angry2:

That's interesting because I am having the same problem except that my wax is 100% soy and I'm using a 16 oz. apothecary jar. I've tried Eco' date=' CD, Cotton Core, Fil-tec ultra core in various sizes and nothing works. They all drown out. What's the deal?[/quote']

Some fo's are not to be wicked. :( Some are to be torched and who wants that. bleck. I hope someone can help with this question. I hate too large of a wick but the massive hang up and dim wicks I won't have either.

Pumpkin Souffle is a real PIA to wick imo.

Maybe try 2 Eco 2s or 4s? 2 zincs even. I haven't done 8oz tins in a while because I always seemed to have problems getting a full MP with them but if my memory serves me correctley I had double wicked those tins.

I use the 6oz tins from CS and have used Eco 6 and 6006 wax.

I haven't done any tins in that scent yet this year but remember that's how I did it last year.

Thank you both...right now I'm testing at LX 20 and ECO 10....LX isn't doing well at all. Eco maybe too hot. I also can't wick my tea lights. Up to a TL 25 and 28 and they are not going to stay lit. I so miss my other wax. I could pick the right wick with my eyes closed.

Since my 16 oz. apothecary is 4" in diameter, I've been testing double wicks. I tried 2 Eco 12's last night. It starts out burning beautiful. I did get a larger MP that was almost across the top of the jar but at about 3 hours they were really weak and one went out completely. I thought the jar would get supper hot but it didn't! In fact, it was just warm to the touch. I used this fragrance last year and had no problem. No complaints from customers either. I'm not sure what the issue is.

• 2 weeks later...

Still trying to get this fo wicked. omg!! The only wick I can consider is eco 10 at this point, everything else is dying...LX's up to 24...all zinc's all CD's up to 18!! wow this is one hard to burn fo BUT it's heavenly and I won't stop until I get it. I think I'm getting close. I also went down on the %.....just keep on trying...

Since my 16 oz. apothecary is 4" in diameter' date=' I've been testing double wicks. I tried 2 Eco 12's last night. It starts out burning beautiful. I did get a larger MP that was almost across the top of the jar but at about 3 hours they were really weak and one went out completely. I thought the jar would get supper hot but it didn't! In fact, it was just warm to the touch. I used this fragrance last year and had no problem. No complaints from customers either. I'm not sure what the issue is.[/quote']

I think it's trying to wick liquid concrete. :((

So it's not just me? Love this FO but in 6006 it is a bugger to wick. I am working with 8oz Square Masons and 16oz Tins. Have not yet tried it with soy in the 8oz tins. I am drowning out Eco 8's in the mason jar...but an ECO 10 throws soot and torches. Tried 60-44 Zinc and it drowned. WOW. I never, ever have to use that size Zinc.

Double wicked the tin in ECO 6's and ECO 8's and HTP 93's...Eco 10's are struggling on the 3rd hour. They look like they need me to throw them little wick life preservers :-)

Since this is such a strong throwing scent I think another option is to simply try backing down on the FO load and see if that helps. If less than 1oz per pound can deliver a good hot throw and allows the wicks to burn better...then that might be the solution! And then I might try Vberkesch's suggestion of blending it with another pumpkin spice type fo just to see what happens.

At least it sells well in tarts. Customers love it. I can simply use up the rest of the FO in those if the candles keep failing.

Oi vai and then some.

Its funny this has come to my attention....

I also posted about this (but use 464)

I did a remelt/repour, the former had no scent throw and I despised the wick.

So I repoured sans wick. Let it cure until tonight for 8 days. I was just burning it with a 795 wick....and wouldn't you know it, FINALLY, good melt and descent hot throw.

Best of luck.

ETA: My containers are 3" in diameter.

Edited by SimpleScentsCandleCo

Sometimes a mean FO just needs time... I discovered this about some ambers I had thrown in the "no hot throw" pile... I ran out of stuff to burn about 6 months later and grabbed one of the "losers" and it ROCKED!! It just needed more time to cure... I checked the rest and they also were much improved... It doesn't ALWAYS work this way, but sometimes ya get lucky.

In 6006, and a 3" diameter container, I was told to use either a 60 zinc or a 62 zinc, depending on the FO. I use the 62 zinc with 6006 in the 8 oz tureen jar with 12% FO load, using CS FOs. It works great.

I would use 12% the same day as pigs fly!!

First, most veggie & veggie blend waxes do not need anywhere NEAR that load to throw.

Second, soy wax (although 6006 is a parasoy) works better with a lower load because the stuff is ALREADY hard to burn

Third, if one is having trouble with wicking, why use MORE of something that makes the candle harder for the wick to burn?

Fourth, I am NOT going to DOUBLE the FO cost of a candle to suit any particular wax or supplier's FO - that's the tail waggin' the dog BIGTIME!!!

Sorry, but I don't think that was good advice when it was given to you, or now, when you passed it on.

Using 12% FO may be part of the problem. Try cutting the FO down to 7% and see if you get a better burn.

My comment about using a 62 zinc wick in 6006 with 12% FO was, "It works great." So I wasn't having a problem.

I'll use less FO with Comfort Blend wax, but the chandler I bought my supplies from, who had a really nice shop for 10 years, (now closed due to illness & bad economy) always used 12% with 6006 and zincs, so I tried it too, and the HT was great! I used CS 3 leaf FOs.

The only problem with her using 12% was that if I sniffed a bunch of her candles, I'd find about 10 to 20% of them had some FO seeping on the tops. She said the customers would ask her about it, and she'd tell them she had used a bit more FO than the wax could hold, and the customers actually LIKED that, so they'd buy the candle. Everybody always raved about her candles being better than Yankee.

I don't understand why everybody freaks out about using more than 6 to 8% FO, but they don't mind spending several extra dollars per jar on a nicer jar. I tried 6%, 9%, and 12% FO in 6006, with the right size zinc wicks, and 12% was the BEST!!! for that wax, in my opinion.

Edited by HorsescentS

So far the Eco's are the only one's that can do the job on this oil. But I did order larger CD's today along with LX's. I never cared for LX's but you never know.

This oil needs a Large wick! But it smells divine.

Now, this is from a newbie..... but I'm 2 hours into burning this FO & I still have great HT. Little bitty jar, 2.5" diameter with an ECO 10 in C3. (keeping fingers crossed it holds up :) )

I would use 12% the same day as pigs fly!!

First, most veggie & veggie blend waxes do not need anywhere NEAR that load to throw.

Second, soy wax (although 6006 is a parasoy) works better with a lower load because the stuff is ALREADY hard to burn

Third, if one is having trouble with wicking, why use MORE of something that makes the candle harder for the wick to burn?

Fourth, I am NOT going to DOUBLE the FO cost of a candle to suit any particular wax or supplier's FO - that's the tail waggin' the dog BIGTIME!!!

Sorry, but I don't think that was good advice when it was given to you, or now, when you passed it on.

Stella, I tried the 6006 with 6% and the correct size zinc wicks and the HT was pitiful! I tried 6006 with 9% FO and the right size zinc wicks and the HT was just okay, but I would never go out of my way to buy a candle like that. Even on the candle warmer I was not satisfied with the HT using 6% or even 9%. To me, it's not enough. As long as somebody gets an awesome HT, with the correct burn, in a safe and pretty candle, and make a decent profit, what difference does it make if they use 10% to 12% if that's what they prefer? Using extra FO is not a waste if you make a profit on it and get the HT you want.