My first cp picture :)

Oceangazer1

Well, I sure hope this soap turns out well. It traced so fast on me I had to glop the plain and colored soap after a short time. lol. I used NG's Endless Love with pink and green mica's. I also used my own recipe. It's now in Bed in the garage wrapped in a huge old comforter.

I sooo want to peak. :grin2: Not sure my swirl is going to come out well, because it was too thick but I will love my soapie anyway. :cheesy2:

post-307-139458485277_thumb.jpg

Looking good, if it is still hot and gelling you should keep it covered or you might get a partial gel, = dark ring in middle of soap. Can't wait to see it cut.

I hope so...I'm more nervous now than I was making it. LOL. So I shouldn't uncover or cut until the soap is cool or cold? Thank you :)

Looks fine. The "dry spots" you spoke of in another post, could just be where the soap has gone through saponification and is starting to become its natural color. It could also be something else, but not knowing your recipe makes it had to say anything more ... and don't judge anything else until the soap is done. It's so early in the soap stage to say that it looks like some ash is forming (not a big deal, but the more exposure the batch gets to air the more likely ash might be to form saying you go from the hot to the cool and back to hot ... that has been my experience with ash showing up. I'm a terrible peeker and I have 100s of batches behind me lol.) Hardest thing now should be to resist the temptation to look.

What scent did you soap?

Edited by Scented

Looks fine. The "dry spots" you spoke of in another post, could just be where the soap has gone through saponification and is starting to become its natural color. It could also be something else, but not knowing your recipe makes it had to say anything more ... and don't judge anything else until the soap is done. It's so early in the soap stage to say that it looks like some ash is forming (not a big deal, but the more exposure the batch gets to air the more likely ash might be to form saying you go from the hot to the cool and back to hot ... that has been my experience with ash showing up. I'm a terrible peeker and I have 100s of batches behind me lol.) Hardest thing now should be to resist the temptation to look.

What scent did you soap?

Hi Scented, I used NG's Endless Love. It smells ready good so far. I watched so many you tube videos and read a ton, maybe too much that I felt a little confused because not everyone does the same steps...for example, the fo and when to add it. Some add it to the melted cooling oils in the pot before mixing with lye water, and some add it at trace. I added it to the cooling oils. My soap is really cooling off now, it's been about 9 hours since I wrapped it. So tempted to stay up Really late to cut it! LOL. I even went to HD and bought a taping knife so I have it ready. I can't get this addicted because I have candles to test. lol

post-307-139458485308_thumb.jpg

And this is what a flop looks like. It was completely cold when I cut it. Kept it insulated the entire time. And not one bubble in my pot. :( I'm going to stick with candles. lol

I have supplies coming today for wicks and fo's. I'm kind of glad it didn't work because I was getting very obsessed and it would have taken away from my candlemaking. lol

I think I'm good at that. I should be after 10 yrs of it. I think after hubby see's it I will pitch it. Rebatching is too much work. ha

Wanted to add it sure does smell good though!! :(

post-307-139458485299_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oceangazer1
Forgot to add

I agree with ChandlerWicks!

I do soaping but don't do candles but I read what you guys go thru testing and wicking. That seems truely dedicated and frustrating!!!

Do a few more batches of soap and you will get a groove down! You may want to post your recipe and have us look at it for feedback (maybe you did somewhere else and i didn't see it). Also it looks like your FO traced really fast on you. That is hard when that happens especially with you are first starting! The first like 3 batches I did ended up tracing super fast.

I suggest doing a plain batch of Olive oil just so you can see the progression to trace. Or try a different FO that won't thicken up on you so fast.

Yeah wicking is a pita, but I still love it. lol. Just the feel of the wax...ahhh. LOL. Anyway, here is my recipe and I ran it though the lye calculator of course.

Coconut Oil= 7.60ozs

Grape seed Oil=.76ozs

OO=13.30ozs.

Veg. Shortening=13.30ozs.

Palm-3.04ozs.

Lye=5.58ozs.

Water=12.54ozs.

It traced Very fast...I wasn't ready for it. I specifically chose a well-behaved fo in cp...or so I read on the suppliers site.

Do you think it will ever be soapy and bubbly? It's just greasy. Even my pot overnight had no bubbles...just greasy. Oh well. lol.

Maybe I will try again someday, but I have to test new wax and wisks. Starting all over because we relocated...Oh Joy. LOL

Man why are you giving up again? Trying to figure that one out. You are sort of following my footsteps and I don't know anyone who went that way seriously. I was scared, nervous, thought I'd nuke the planet if I tried to make this stuff. I was impatient (still am so don't be fooled there lol) and wouldn't wait for the person who was going to walk me through my first batch. I read enough, watched nothing, decided I ran out of excuses and finally had to just do it and man did I hate it so much that I made a second batch. That didn't change my strong dislike for this craft, but from what I made and the chastising I took for god forbid putting color into a non-Oatmeal, Milk and Honey batch (which "was" supposed to be my first according to others) I decided I wasn't going to let something beat me down so long story short I'm still making soap. I don't hate it as much, but I'm better with making candles and probably always will be. I will go through your recipe later and try to offer something up. Right now I gotta go get my hips adjusted and I am praying the damn things will move today because they haven't for 2 weeks and they hurt if I sit too long or stand to long or walk too long or lay too long.

Nothing wrong with the soap. The tops look like ash to me. What temperature was your lye water before you added it to your cool oils? I try to pour my lye water the same temps as my oils or atleast 5 degrees difference. I like to soap about 90 degrees on both the oils and lye.

hi,

i did run it quickly thru soap calc. It does suggest more water.

It did come up as a more creamy soap than bubbly. So it could be that you need to let it cure and you will have a more creamy soap in the end.

Also when did you add the FO?

post-11717-139458485318_thumb.jpg

Edited by moon01945

I am a soap noob, so take my remarks for what they are worth...

It looks to me like because of the acceleration, when you put the soap into the mold, you "glopped" it in. Some parts were gelling faster than others. Then you kept peeking and you did not cover the top with saran wrap. All of these innocent things caused the gel to stop & go, and the top to ash because it wasn't covered.

However, none of those things should affect the potential outcome of the soap. After about a week, you can begin testing the soap on your hands. Do a "zap" test first where you touch the soap to the tip of your tongue... if it "zaps" you, it is still lye heavy and you should wait for another week to repeat the zap test before testing on your hands. If the soap doesn't zap your tongue, but just leaves soapy taste in your mouth, rinse and try a sliver on your hands. When choosing what part of the bar to touch to my tongue, I would zap test one of the whitish areas in the middle of the soap.

I think this soap will be just fine after 4-6 weeks.

Thanks everyone, for the comments and opinions!! Stella....me peek?? LOL. Uh yeah I did, but I didn't know to put plastic wrap over top either. Yes, it accelerated on me and I did have to glop it after a while. So the white spots won't disappear? It's looks like HP. :( I am liking the hp though...it's less waiting. lol. Check out my rustic pumpkin soaps. Good night all!! :)