Tarts only throw for 2 or so hours. Help!!!

flowerbaby

I use Ky Parasoy Votive Tart Wax and .70 oz. of good fo to 8 oz. of wax. I heat the wax to the recommended 165 degrees and pour at the recommended 155 degrees. And I can put 2 cubes from a 6 unit 3 oz. clamshell and the scent throw is very strong at first and then fades away within a couple of hours. I am reading that that amount of wax should throw strong scent for 8 - 10 hours. My jaw dropped. I can't imagine what I am doing wrong. I assume using the wrong wax. Please, can you help me. I am not sure what direction to go. Thank you in advance for your help. (P.S. I am testing in a Candle Warmers unit with a 25 watt bulb.)

I don't use that wax but try heating the wax a little more before pouring. I heat mine (I use a blend of EcoSoya waxes) to 185 and then mix the FO in.

I use the same warmers to test and I get more than 8-10 hours with most of my scents with 2 cubes.

KY is a great wax and seems like you're using 8% FO load which should be fine for most oils. I completely agree that you need to add oil at 185 degrees. Stir for at least one minute after you add the oil to the wax. I make my own wax blend and my pouring temp is not important since I don't get a dip at all on the tops. Years and years ago I used KY and as I recall, it also does not get much of dip. With tarts/clamshells, pouring temp has to do with the way the tops look, not the scent throw. You might want to try 9% which would be 1 oz oil to 8 oz of wax, total of 9 oz and/or heating wax to 185. Who are some of you FO suppliers?

Oh yes, I forgot about the cure factor. I wait at least a week to test them. I just melted one that I poured a couple of months ago and it was so nice and strong- had it going for 2 full days and was still strong when I was ready to move on to a different scent.

KY is a great wax and seems like you're using 8% FO load which should be fine for most oils. I completely agree that you need to add oil at 185 degrees. Stir for at least one minute after you add the oil to the wax. I make my own wax blend and my pouring temp is not important since I don't get a dip at all on the tops. Years and years ago I used KY and as I recall, it also does not get much of dip. With tarts/clamshells, pouring temp has to do with the way the tops look, not the scent throw. You might want to try 9% which would be 1 oz oil to 8 oz of wax, total of 9 oz and/or heating wax to 185. Who are some of you FO suppliers?

I use mostly use Candle Science, Ky and Lone Star. All the oils seem to work well in candles.

Oh yes, I forgot about the cure factor. I wait at least a week to test them. I just melted one that I poured a couple of months ago and it was so nice and strong- had it going for 2 full days and was still strong when I was ready to move on to a different scent.

I just can't get over the fact that 1oz. of wax is throwing for 2 days. I always let mine cure for 4-5 days. I mean I put 2 cubes in around 5 pm today. It is now 11:30 and I can still smell it, but not nearly as strong. Do I need to add more paraffin wax do you think. Does the soy just not throw as well?

I will definitely try heating the wax higher even though that is not what KY recommends. Maybe that will help. I am thinking maybe I need to change to a wax combo that has more paraffin. The KY used to be so strong people would say it was too strong, and we haven't changed anything we are doing. It makes me wonder if something has changed with that wax. Also, they are now further away from me and much higher freight charges.

I use that wax, but heat mine to 180, add FO, stir for a minute or more, and pour around 155. I use a 9% FO load with most oils (less on the really strong ones) and I've always had great results (more than 8-10 hours per tart).

What size ounce wise is your tarts that throw for 8 - 10 hours. I will definitely try increasing my temperature and go up a bit on my oil. I sure hope that helps.

I use mostly use Candle Science, Ky and Lone Star. All the oils seem to work well in candles.

I have noticed from some of your other posts that you use paraffin wax rather than soy. Is that for scent throw? Is there any other reason you prefer paraffin to soy. A friend gave me a few cubes of Scentsy to compare to mine this evening and I haven't tried them yet, but will tomorrow. One thing I did notice is they look to be paraffin wax. They don't have the creamy look of soy. I have been told they last a long time. Maybe it is time for me to make the switch.

I use Ecosoya PB wax for my tarts and with test burning of 10 hours + a day, I can sometimes get up to 3 days of throw, depends on the FO. My tarts are about 2-3oz each, 1 tart per burn. Some of the FOs I use start off weak, and take an hour or so before the scent throw is really strong. I'm using an electric tart/candle warmer to test and I also allowed about 2 week cure time with these tarts I'm testing now. These FOs I'm testing now come from AH/RE. I melt the wax to about 175, and add FO at 150, stir about 2 minutes and pour.

I use Ecosoya PB wax for my tarts and with test burning of 10 hours + a day, I can sometimes get up to 3 days of throw, depends on the FO. My tarts are about 2-3oz each, 1 tart per burn. Some of the FOs I use start off weak, and take an hour or so before the scent throw is really strong. I'm using an electric tart/candle warmer to test and I also allowed about 2 week cure time with these tarts I'm testing now. These FOs I'm testing now come from AH/RE. I melt the wax to about 175, and add FO at 150, stir about 2 minutes and pour.

I have recently purchased a small amount of the Ecosoya PB and still not much more than a couple of hours of good strong scent throw. This is so weird. All I can figure is the temperature of the wax. I must need to heat the wax hotter. I am actually probably adding my scent at about 165 and pouring at around 150, so not that different than you. I need to move my warmer to a different location and see if that makes any difference. I am so frustrated, because they were great and now they are not. Maybe if I am lucky it is just my smeller.

Flowerbaby, I use paraffin (my main, beloved paraffin is the one from The Candle Source) and it does have a creamy appearance. The CBL129 on the other hand, does not; you can tell it's paraffin (that's the other wax I use).

If i were you, I would let the wax get hotter before adding the FO.

Flowerbaby, I use paraffin (my main, beloved paraffin is the one from The Candle Source) and it does have a creamy appearance. The CBL129 on the other hand, does not; you can tell it's paraffin (that's the other wax I use).

I am interested in trying the Candle Source wax and I will do some experimenting this weekend with the temperature being hotter and I may add some of my container paraffin wax to the Ky and the Ecosoya and see what happens. Thank you so much.

Are you sure it is just that you are used to the smell? Has anyone said that it dies down after 2 hours?

I am feeling somewhat better this morning, because I had started the 1 oz of wax at 5 PM and at 11 PM when my son came home, he said he smelled it and then this morning I moved the warmer into my kitchen and was outside for a while and when I came in I could smell it, but I would still like it to be stronger. Thank you.

could also be a simple case of candle nose.

Definitely could be part of the problem, but I think something has changed with the KY Parasoy wax. It used to have great scent throw and recently just not the same. I am thinking I need to go to more paraffin as it seems the consensus is that Paraffin wax has better scent throw. What do you think?

Ravens, I am going to try several combinations of waxes this weekend. I have a slab of the Candle Source wax on its way. I noticed another candle maker on this post said she was having trouble with that wax releasing from the clamshell. Do you have any suggestions? And I am definitely going to heat the wax hotter. Thank you so much for your help.

I have recently purchased a small amount of the Ecosoya PB and still not much more than a couple of hours of good strong scent throw. This is so weird. All I can figure is the temperature of the wax. I must need to heat the wax hotter. I am actually probably adding my scent at about 165 and pouring at around 150, so not that different than you. I need to move my warmer to a different location and see if that makes any difference. I am so frustrated, because they were great and now they are not. Maybe if I am lucky it is just my smeller.

I use Ecosoya PB too and get great hot and cold throw. I heat to about 185. Pour the wax into my pour pot and stir a little to dissolve my dye chip. Then add the fragrance oil. Stir the oil in for 10-15 seconds, let it cool to about 145 then pour into clamshells. Sometimes I'll stir again about halfway through the cool down.

Jo

Edited by LadyJo