Finally Took the CP 1st Step

jeanie353

I've been lurking for what seems forever over CP soap recipes, techniques, how to, etc. but I am so afraid of working with lye I kept putting it off.

I finally put one foot in the water and bought a 3 lb log soap mold off the classies. Now I have to move forward and get past my lye fear. I'll be doing the happy dance once I make the first batch.

Jeanne

Best of luck Jeanie. I hate lye too and wish it wasn't necesary for cp but oh well. I wear a mask and have a fan that draws the fumes out and keep food or drink far away from your work area. Once you have the lye water made up, just make sure you don't slosh it on you or have any pets and children under your feet. The worst mistake I've madw with lye was to use a wipe that had some raw batter on it to clean my hands. Lye burns look like little stipes and they hurt like the dickens. It took my hands forever to heal up. I didn't realize my mistake until it was too late to neutralize the lye with vinegar and water. HTH

Steve

Steve....Thank you and also thanks for the warning that even touching a wipe with raw batter will cause burns. I don't think I would of thought of that with it being second nature to grab a nearby paper towel to wipe hands quick. I've done it many, many times in candle making.

After you use lye a few times you'll feel more comfortable with it. Just be cautious and have respect for it.

I don't often use gloves as I am right by the sink and can stick my hand under running water if I get a splash, but I do use safety glasses. A splash in the eye is a totally different thing than a splash on the skin. And as soapbuddy said, water is better. Forget the vinegar.

Good luck with your first soaps.

Hi! just take the safety steps and you will be fine.

i wear gloves and have a fan going.

make sure you keep your face away from where you mix it and give your self time for it to cool.

once you do it a few times you will be confortable with it.

Don't be afraid of the lye. With a little common sense it can be handled very safely. I always mix my lye and water outside, averting my face, and then bring the mixture inside when my oils get melted. I use a glass beer pitcher to mix the lye in. It's heavy enough glass not to melt and very easy to pour out of. I used to wear gloves but rarely do anymore. If you are careful and don't move too fast... Once you get past the initial fear soap making is very rewarding.

I just finished making a citrus pumice soap for my husband's greasy hands, a lavender bath soap and my latest, a beer soap that I'm going to use as a shampoo bar.

You'll be hooked just like the rest of us here once you make your first batch! The first time I made a batch of soap I looked ridiculous...with a white hazmat suit, face mask, googles, gloves...the WHOLE DEAL. I've since realized that was overkill. LOL! Like everyone else has said just be safety conscious. I also mix my lye outside on my porch and just bring it in when I'm ready.

Bout to go make a batch of soap now.

Relax and enjoy it. I used to hate soaping but it's ok when the fairies are out playing somewhere else. Before I soaped my first batches, I used to say there'd be a slight mushroom cloud reported on the news that no one could understand where it came from, but I haven't blown up anything yet.

Don't be afraid of the lye. With a little common sense it can be handled very safely. I always mix my lye and water outside, averting my face, and then bring the mixture inside when my oils get melted. I use a glass beer pitcher to mix the lye in. It's heavy enough glass not to melt and very easy to pour out of. I used to wear gloves but rarely do anymore. If you are careful and don't move too fast... Once you get past the initial fear soap making is very rewarding.

I just finished making a citrus pumice soap for my husband's greasy hands, a lavender bath soap and my latest, a beer soap that I'm going to use as a shampoo bar.

I have thought that once I do it a couple times and get the fear out - as you said - then I should be ok and hope like heck I can produce not only an appealing bar of soap but a kick butt moisturizing one too.

I have seen where people use plastic to mix the lye and that worried me. Why, I don't know b/c they know what they are doing. Now that you mentioned glass and the beer pitchers that is what I will do. I have a couple here and believe I will be more comfortable with it.

Thank you for the advice

Relax and enjoy it. I used to hate soaping but it's ok when the fairies are out playing somewhere else. Before I soaped my first batches, I used to say there'd be a slight mushroom cloud reported on the news that no one could understand where it came from, but I haven't blown up anything yet.

Well, I will be starting out mixing the lye outside that much I know. I'm sure once I get comfortable and the weather turns cold I'll probably be doing it in my kitchen or work area just like so many other. My new soap mold has been calling me from inside its mailing box.

For those who mix lye in glass containers, may I suggest you switch to plastic? Over time glass becomes etched and can fail at the wrong time. By fail, I mean shatter, spilling caustic lye solution all over you and your surroundings.

Instead, a rubbermaid material type of pitcher, not the rigid plastic that becomes brittle over time, is far safer. If you have a nice fitting lid all the better to prevent spills.

When mixing the lye with the liquid of your choice, it's often safer to mix in a sink. If a spill or volcano does occur you can wash it down the drain quickly and safely. To avoid fumes, just do not lean over the sink as you pour the lye into the water. The fumes disperse fairly quickly. When mixing outside, you risk spilling, tripping, etc. which is far. messier to clean than necessary.

Have fun. As others have already said, don't fear the lye. Just use good common sense when handling it. Eye protection is a must, not a should. I choose to wear a mask in addition to gloves and eye protection. It protects what's left of my sense of smell from the sensory assault when working with EO's and FO's :) (I do this when making candles and such too)

• 2 weeks later...