Offering three different sizes of the same jar style?

I've been selling candles for over a year now, and I have always offered the Large, Medium, and Small of the Status/Metro jars. All three sizes seem to sell ok, and I guess if I had to pick a size that moved the slowest, I'd say it would be the Large size, but not by much. The Large size is also the size with the biggest profit margin for me... it takes the same amount of work to create a Large candle as it does the Medium and the Small, but I get more profit due to its larger volume.

Anyway, Large Status/Metro jars are hard to find in Australia right now. I could arrange to have them shipped to me, and I'd have to pay an extra $0.35 a jar AND I'd have to order a lot more than I'll need for now. So I'll have to find a way to store them. I also have a feeling that long before I get through half of these jars, my local supplier will have them in stock again at the lower price. But stock supplies in Oz are very unreliable, and it is difficult and stressful to count on anyone else to have what I need on hand.

Soooooo, I'm thinking about all of this BS, and I'm wondering if I should even continue to offer the Large size. I see other candle sellers offer only one jar size, and I gotta admit, I'm jealous of the simplicity. At the same time, I like offering a selection and how it looks on my display.

Have any of you dropped a size (or sizes) and were happy about it? Or have any of you added sizes because your customers wanted more selection? I could use some advice on this.

If they are selling well for you you may want to keep them.

For me I found that in this economy my customers want smaller and smaller jars but still want candles and want to find bargains as well. This past year I have been making only one size jar-- a 9oz jar. I have a "two for" sale so they can save by buying a couple of candles and customers tend to buy two at a time that way. That gives me the money I would have made by selling one large 16 oz candle. I still have occasional customers that want the 16 oz size so I make only 1-2 in each scent during the fall and holiday season. Thats the time of year when they sell for me. The rest of the year I only make the 9 oz jars.

I used to carry 4 sizes about 3-4 years ago. Then 2 yrs ago I went to 2 sizes. Then this year I decided to go with only one size. I also went from a 12oz to a 9oz jar instead. I made the decision to only make one size that is my best seller and the most profitable. Its also the same size I use for fundraisers and wholesale. If customers or retailers want the larger size they can still order them. I gotta say its been a whole lot easier to use just one size jar and so far not a single comment from a customer. There is also a side effect of the smaller jar-- I noticed customers tend to purchase or order more frequently. But I am waiting for the day when the economy picks up I can start making the larger jars all the time.

so glad you started this thread, I will be stalking it :) ... I have been having the same dilemna about switching to 1 size with the economy. I was tied between the 8 oz jelly jar, but like the look of the 9 oz straight side jar better. Now to determine a price because I agree with you, there is more profit margin on the large candles esp. since the jars pretty much cost the same big or small it is only a small difference in the case price.

Look forward to reading more about this!

If you really want to change your jar type do a market test first. Make sure your customers like the new jar and will buy it. The reason I say this is because I was using the 8oz jelly jars. They were the most popular selling jars I ever made. The main reason I switched is because I use palm wax and wanted to showcase the crystal patterns in a more upscale jar. But nothing sold like the jelly jars.

I am in Northern Indiana after living in Tampa for 12 years. I feel like I am doing an entire upheaval of my business. My preference is an upscale, spa, Jo Malone type candle. In Tampa, all of my candles were white regardless of scent with a very chic look and always sold in large apothecary jars with more tropical, spa, fresh/clean, and glamorous scents.

When I look around up here I see more country, rustic, jelly or mason jar style candles for sale. I definitely get more of a request for bakery scents that I couldn't giveaway in Tampa, for example blueberry. ??? That being said, I am struggling with finding my niche because I feel like I am now selling something that I wouldn't be drawn to buy but then again why should I care if it is what they like up here and what sells -- or should I be trying to meet in the middle. I guess I am stuck between 2 worlds lol.

I was drawn to the either the jelly or straight side jar because I can at least still put my labeling on it and fancy ribbon, whereas the mason jars are pretty limited with labeling. Thank you candybee for the info with what sells for you, i am sure the original poster will love this info!

Jonsie, I'm in Florida, and I have to say I feel your pain. There is very little manufacturing here and everything must be shipped in, ususually from at least two states away. I handle it by always ordering more of what I need a pretty good while in advance. The other thing is, I picked jelly jars because I can get them locally although I may have to order them and have them delivered to a local store. If you don't have room to store a volume of the large jars, I would drop them. I have read many threads that say large jars are not selling well any more in the US, but your economy may be different. Now if you can find room to store them, I would wait for your local supplier to get them and get a bunch. I would contact them and give them a heads up on how many you want so they can accomodate you. I am a big believer in going with your "feelings". Good luck to you!

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Since I don't have any kind of wholesale commitment to provide this size, and my volume isn't all that high anyway, AND because the jars are more expensive than normal, I'll pass on this. But if any of those three factors were different, I'd find the space and make the purchase. In the meantime I'm going to limp along and maybe use that display space for all the EO candles I've been developing. And that will give me more time to decide if I should drop the Large.

I am in Northern Indiana after living in Tampa for 12 years. I feel like I am doing an entire upheaval of my business. My preference is an upscale, spa, Jo Malone type candle. In Tampa, all of my candles were white regardless of scent with a very chic look and always sold in large apothecary jars with more tropical, spa, fresh/clean, and glamorous scents ... I am struggling with finding my niche because I feel like I am now selling something that I wouldn't be drawn to buy but then again why should I care if it is what they like up here and what sells -- or should I be trying to meet in the middle. I guess I am stuck between 2 worlds lol.

Morethanrubies, oh my heart goes to you! I don't have much advice for you because I haven't had to move with my candle business before, although I will be moving to a different country in less than two years. Have you tried wholesaling or consigning to local beauty salons or spas? Maybe if you post your dilemma as a new thread, you'll get much better advice. Good luck!

I used to carry 3 jar sizes and candle tins. I took a hard look at what sizes I was actually selling most and quickly pared that down to my 16 oz jars and 8 oz tins because the other sizes weren't selling enough to justify the expense of stocking the other jars, empty or filled. That freed up alot of supply $!! In addition, sales actually went up when I made the change. I had noticed people had a hard time deciding between all the options I was offering (sizes as well as too many scents). When I streamlined it a bit it made it less overwhelming for customers and they seemed to make decisions much more quickly.

I used to carry 3 jar sizes and candle tins. I took a hard look at what sizes I was actually selling most and quickly pared that down to my 16 oz jars and 8 oz tins because the other sizes weren't selling enough to justify the expense of stocking the other jars, empty or filled. That freed up alot of supply $!! In addition, sales actually went up when I made the change.

I just talked to a chandler who only sells the 16 oz salsa jar, and she does great with it. I told her I was glad to know that because I was under the impression that only the smaller jars of 8, 9, or 11 oz were selling.

I had noticed people had a hard time deciding between all the options I was offering (sizes as well as too many scents). When I streamlined it a bit it made it less overwhelming for customers and they seemed to make decisions much more quickly.
That makes incredible sense. Hmmm.....

That makes incredible sense. Hmmm.....

It really does, and I can relate because I just bought a 20 oz tureen candle today from a shop owner who is the sister of a chandler that went OOB. All the candles were 50% off, but it took me forever to decide because there were 3 tureen sizes, Dollar Tree status jar, Libby curved cubes, Libby heart dish, a different kind of heart dish, votives, apothecary jars...and many many scents to choose from. But, after sniffing everything and feeling like an idiot for about an hour, and going outside a couple of times to clear my nose, I finally bought the 20 oz tureen candle in Lemon Supreme. I am in love with it! I think I only want to make 20 oz tureens now. lol But when I brought it up to the register, the cashier said, "That's all you're getting after all that?!" lol

My customers "unanimously" said, "No more jelly jars"! So I went to the 12 oz salsa and sold it as an 8 oz (it comfortably holds 8 oz) and decided to buy a ton of 16 oz salsa jars. Don't like em but now have sold out all my 12 oz jars and am determined to sell off the 16 oz jars. They hold 12 oz and of course will cause an increase in price at a time that nobody wants to pay more. I will have to order a ton of the 12 oz jars eventually when my Christmas tree farm makes its order but hope to have sold off the others. It would be great if my customers would take the jellies but oh well. You have to pay attention to your bottom line and what the customers will tolerate or else give em away. Nobody ever asks me for a larger or smaller size. But then I don't have a shop.

It really does, and I can relate because I just bought a 20 oz tureen candle today from a shop owner who is the sister of a chandler that went OOB. All the candles were 50% off, but it took me forever to decide because there were 3 tureen sizes, Dollar Tree status jar, Libby curved cubes, Libby heart dish, a different kind of heart dish, votives, apothecary jars...and many many scents to choose from. But, after sniffing everything and feeling like an idiot for about an hour, and going outside a couple of times to clear my nose, I finally bought the 20 oz tureen candle in Lemon Supreme. I am in love with it! I think I only want to make 20 oz tureens now. lol But when I brought it up to the register, the cashier said, "That's all you're getting after all that?!" lol

I took it down to 3-4 scents from each category (floral/herbal, fruit, bakery, clean, seasonal), only bring more around the holidays when people are buying gifts. I may not always have exactly what everyone wants but I always make sure to have some "safe" scents in each of the category that almost always keeps them happy. If someone is looking for vanilla they usually end up with sugar cookie or creme brulee (usually have one or the other), if I don't have lemon the key lime pie a given (usually even get it if I do have lemon too because it is yummy!), Cinnamon Buns, Lavender (I hate it but it is hands down my best seller). Then I round them out with a few "different" scents like Cedar & Saffron, Pumpkin Praline, then fill it in with scents I know will sell..Hot Apple Pie, Clean Cotton, MacApple, Blackberry Sage, Blueberry Muffin, etc. I jsut sort them by scent type and ask what type of scent a customer likes so I can point them toward the right section of table. I always put the fruit scents next to the bakery because many of my bakery ones have fruity tones to them so people often cross over between them.

Edited by mparadise

My customers "unanimously" said, "No more jelly jars"! So I went to the 12 oz salsa and sold it as an 8 oz (it comfortably holds 8 oz) and decided to buy a ton of 16 oz salsa jars. Don't like em but now have sold out all my 12 oz jars and am determined to sell off the 16 oz jars. They hold 12 oz and of course will cause an increase in price at a time that nobody wants to pay more. I will have to order a ton of the 12 oz jars eventually when my Christmas tree farm makes its order but hope to have sold off the others. It would be great if my customers would take the jellies but oh well. You have to pay attention to your bottom line and what the customers will tolerate or else give em away. Nobody ever asks me for a larger or smaller size. But then I don't have a shop.

The chandler who told me she only sells the 16 oz salsa jar, and does great with it, charges $13.95 retail and $7.50 wholesale for it.

I took it down to 3-4 scents from each category (floral/herbal, fruit, bakery, clean, seasonal), only bring more around the holidays when people are buying gifts. I may not always have exactly what everyone wants but I always make sure to have some "safe" scents in each of the category that almost always keeps them happy. If someone is looking for vanilla they usually end up with sugar cookie or creme brulee (usually have one or the other), if I don't have lemon the key lime pie a given (usually even get it if I do have lemon too because it is yummy!), Cinnamon Buns, Lavender (I hate it but it is hands down my best seller). Then I round them out with a few "different" scents like Cedar & Saffron, Pumpkin Praline, then fill it in with scents I know will sell..Hot Apple Pie, Clean Cotton, MacApple, Blackberry Sage, Blueberry Muffin, etc. I jsut sort them by scent type and ask what type of scent a customer likes so I can point them toward the right section of table. I always put the fruit scents next to the bakery because many of my bakery ones have fruity tones to them so people often cross over between them.

Sounds good! That would have helped me narrow it down. The candles were not organized by scent category so I had to hunt for ones I like and it was overwhelming and confusing. I got stuck trying to decide between Wedding Cake, Sugar Cookie, Mango and Papaya, and Lemon Supreme. I'm glad I finally got the Lemon Supreme, it rocks! :) I can't find it on the Frangrance Oil Finder, so maybe it was a Taylored Concepts scent or it was renamed. But it's a smooth creamy lemon with very slight hint of cake.

• 1 month later...

Ok I went with the 9 oz straight side jars from Fillmore after reading through this post coming from 16 and 26 oz apothecary jars that were not moving here in Indiana.

I got a big load of them and when I opened them they looked so tiny! I got afraid I couldn't make any money on them (I thought $10 each or 2 for $15) Then I get to work and I have a Slatkin & Co. 4 oz on my desk (I didn't buy it, my boss' wife did, and she knows I make candles... lol I will never get that one!) and it sells for $10.50

If I can ask, for those that sell these 9 oz from fillmore in the Midwest, what is your price point? Maybe it is just me coming from the 16 and 26 apoth jars that sold for $20 and $25 each (I would sell the 26 when I had a sale 2 for $40 and did well for awhile until the economy got worse then I couldn't move either size) -- but they seem so little and hard to sell but I have ALOT of them now so I gotta figure something out!! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

I try to charge $1.00 per ounce but lately its less than that. My problem with the larger containers is that the candles last for a longer period of time and sales slump in between the time customers need new ones. My 16 oz salsa burns forever and ever and the 12 oz just burns forever. Customers like the smaller candles for gift baskets and they tend to buy more of them to place in different areas of their homes. Whatever your costs are plus your labor but I just try to break even these days. It's just so hard to compete against a wally world 10 pound candle for $4.95 KWIM?

By the way, people are always bringing me samples of popular candle and soap items as a way of giving me ideas for my own products; they mean well (I think).

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

I guess I should have gone with the 12 oz maybe but I don't know why I went with the 9, But you do have an EXCELLENT point, MONTHS would go buy on my 16 and 26 oz customers before they would need to reorder! Maybe if I start them at $9 and do 2 for $14?

Yes the heavy, big, pretty jar candle that has the WEAKEST scent for 4.95, gotta love it! NOT

Congrats on at least making a decision! And I agree that Steve brings up a good point on the repeat business. It may end up being a perfect size for you.

As for me, I'm still mulling over my choices. My local supplier had some spare large metros that he sold to me so I didn't have to order from the more expensive supplier. And business keeps picking up for me. But if I had to eliminate a size, I decided it would be the medium. I'm just not ready to do that!

I guess I should have gone with the 12 oz maybe but I don't know why I went with the 9, But you do have an EXCELLENT point, MONTHS would go buy on my 16 and 26 oz customers before they would need to reorder! Maybe if I start them at $9 and do 2 for $14?

Yes the heavy, big, pretty jar candle that has the WEAKEST scent for 4.95, gotta love it! NOT

As I mentioned earlier, I deliberately switched from the 12 oz to the 9 oz. My reasons, people here don't want to pay $10 or more for a candle and with the 12 oz I had to charge $12 or $10 on sale. Another huge reason I switched, the 12 oz is a wider jar. The problem is the bottom wax left over in the jar once it burns down. It literally wasted wax. So I switched to the narrower 9 oz and it doesn't leave a large amount of bottom wax like the 12 oz. Just a couple of points to think about.

I have been selling the 9oz this entire year and I have seen more candle sales with it so I am glad I switched.

As I mentioned earlier, I deliberately switched from the 12 oz to the 9 oz. My reasons, people here don't want to pay $10 or more for a candle and with the 12 oz I had to charge $12 or $10 on sale. Another huge reason I switched, the 12 oz is a wider jar. The problem is the bottom wax left over in the jar once it burns down. It literally wasted wax. So I switched to the narrower 9 oz and it doesn't leave a large amount of bottom wax like the 12 oz. Just a couple of points to think about.

I have been selling the 9oz this entire year and I have seen more candle sales with it so I am glad I switched.

Well I am stuck with selling at least 48 of them LOL .. I am just trying to figure out my pricing because I have to deliver a "party pack" to a lady that works for a large factory locally. She takes in my small scent samples, a real size sample, and a booklet of info and she essentially has an office candle party. She turns orders in to me and it works great. This is the 3rd year for her. The first year my 16 oz and 26 oz sold like hotcakes, last year NONE sold. So I decided to choose just one smaller size. I was thinking $9 and 2 for $14 but didn't know if I should be more in the range of $8 and $2 for 14 or $2 for $12. AGH!!! Thanks again for everyone's input it is making this easier than trying to determine this alone!