Online Business

grama

Well, almost afraid to ask but is anyone selling having any luck selling candles online? :confused: By that I mean more of jar and pillars, from what I see on FB the main thing selling are the "fancy" tarts and I just don't do them.

My online business is practically non-existent, but that's the way I like it. I have never promoted my website as being the go-to place to buy my product. I keep my site up for out-of-towners who visit my store and want more when they get home, and largely for my own amusement. IMO, it's a pain in the butt to have to pack stuff up and ship it. I live in the sticks and have to drag it into town to FedEx (I use FedEx because they're non-union), and then worry about it getting there in one piece. Not to mention my website prices are higher than my store prices. I always mention that to a new customer so they'll come in to my store and sniff. In getting them in, they'll always buy more than they would online, and it saves my butt the wear and tear of shipping breakables.

I have no idea what my online business would be like if I truly promoted my site.

Well I don't pormote like a lot do on FB. Just don't have the creativity (?) to do so! I live in a town where there are practically no one that buys candles and I don't have a store so I mostly have to depend on my website. I changed my name but sent out newsletter to my customer list but I guess they are like me - broke haha

I think you can have an online business if you promote it. I am in the same situation and I think if you build your customer base then they will come to your website and buy. Good pictures IMO are important and I am learning about SEO which is getting search engines to rate you higher in their rankings. If you do shows then those customers will hopefully come to your website to buy if you have scents or products they can't get anywhere else. I live in the city of Atlanta so shipping items out isn't a big deal for me. Hope this sounds helpful :-)

Edited by jackbenimble

I have tried SEO and it used to be a big help. I used Yahoo but when they went with MS & Bing didn't have nowhere near the results. Using Google now but it still wasn't as good as Yahoo. I did craft shows in past but they were not that great. There are no really good ones close enough for me and besides, to old to start again with them!

My website is definitely not my bread and butter. The majority of my sales come from craft shows and farmer's markets. My wholesale and regular customer generally call me and give a phone order than visit the web and order. Seems lots of people just don't like to order online. I can't really blame them. There are so many times I want to just close my website as its expensive and time consuming to keep it running. But then the holidays come around and then people start ordering so I keep it running.... for now.

We have a website and an Etsy shop -- we sell plenty of candles and 'plain' ole tarts! :) While our Etsy shop does far better than our website, our website traffic has picked up greatly since interacting with our customers on FB and promoting it. So, yes, an online business can be very successful. You just have to be willing to put forth some effort -- this isn't the Field of Dreams where "if you build it, they will come" ;-)

this isn't the Field of Dreams where "if you build it, they will come" ;-) LMAO

Glad I could make you laugh :) But in all seriousness, some people really think that if you throw up a website or open up an Etsy shop that the sales will just pour in....I just always like to make that comparison because it certainly fits!! ;-)

We don't really sell much online either. The odd order here and there, but most customers who are going to order not in person will generally call or email what they want through, no matter how much I try to get them to use the site, which is of course easier for me :)

We don't really sell much online either. The odd order here and there, but most customers who are going to order not in person will generally call or email what they want through, no matter how much I try to get them to use the site, which is of course easier for me :)

Same here! They tend to call and email rather than order online. But I do notice on my website stats that they peruse the website the same day they call and order. So I think they still like using it to see whats there or whats new, etc.

I think with stuff like that people like to feel like they are getting 'special treatment' or something for being a loyal customer. It just generally makes them feel better to be able to call in their order. If giving them that warm fuzzy feeling is part of what keeps them coming back, I say let them call. LOL