Cancer Soap Formula

chuck_35550

A lady survivor asked for fragrance free soap to combat skin problems from chemo. I have a formula in "Soap and Other Obsessions" but it seems awfully soft (45% oo, 25% castor and the rest in palm I think). The cleansing was about an 8 and the combined sudsing was 71 and I wondered if 1. There's a better recipe and 2. What about using dyes? Anyone got advice? TIA

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

If anyone has the link to the thread or the recipe that Quiet Girl posted, that may work. I made it several times but can't find the formula. I would go dye and fragrance free. It made great soap , gentle to the skin, great lather and was also easy to make.

I am a 1 year Breast Cancer Survivor :yay:

Hi Steve,

If anyone has the link to the thread or the recipe that Quiet Girl posted, that may work. I made it several times but can't find the formula. I would go dye and fragrance free. It made great soap , gentle to the skin, great lather and was also easy to make.

I am a 1 year Breast Cancer Survivor :yay:

Here's Quietgirls recipe:

Put in soap calc:

Vegetable shortening 15%

Coconut 15%

Palm Kernal Flakes 15%

Kokum or Shea 5%

Safflower 25%

Olive 25%

I keep my castor oil at 5-8% in my recipe. I highly recommend you bring yours down to 10% or below.

I would also keep the cleansing oils, coconut, babassu and PKO down to 10% or so each.

I agree with the other poster, a bastille bar would be nice.

I use Quiet Girl's recipe for one of my soaps and it is so wonderful but maybe the bastille is the best option. Dunno. I could look at my goat milk recipe and see how gentle that one is but I think the cleansing is gonna have to be real low to protect the tender skin from chemo. Thanks for the input guys.

Steve

Might I suggest ...

Finding sesame seed oil and Emu or Ostrich oils. Both ... (smack me now) have supposed healing properties soothing to the skin as well.

Whatever you do, it has to be soothing to the skin, so the bubbly foamy stuff (cleansing) needs to be reduced. Therefore, I think you're going to be looking at superfatting too.

I'd try some apricot kernel oil, perhaps in place of some of the castor. 25% castor is really high. For color, maybe an infusion of comfrey root powder for a grey/purple hue. Infuse 2 to 3 teaspoons in 4oz of oil and then strain the oil before using in soap.

You might look at coloring with clays too.

Irena, I have no trouble using oils with short shelf life with grapeseed always in my soaps (main recipe anyway) and I have not had it turn my soap bad. Emu, though, is not bad in soap, but it is quite costly and I wouldn't recommend just using it at 5% either. It would have to be at a larger portion unfortunately. I do use it from time to time in bars and the only grip I have is that it's too expensive.

After my chemo left me with an overly sensitive face I love my 100% goat's milk bar with only Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Babassu Oil, Mango Butter and Palm Kernel, 6% superfat, unscented and uncolored. I have a couple cancer survivor customers who swear by it also.