Cutting wax

Guest DeeDee

Is there a secret for cutting wax more easily? I'm using PEAK container blend wax, and it is soft enough to cut, but I'm not able to do it very well. I'm about 1/2 way through the slab now. I'm pretty new to candle-making- but I've already got scars- just from cutting the wax! I would appreciate any suggestions.:)

Dynamite probably isn't any more dangerous than what I've been doing! I could use your method, and find bits of wax, or keep with mine and find spots of blood. Hmmm. Tough decision.:tongue2:

Maybe I had better stay away from candle making altogether. I had been reading posts before I started making candles- and had found that it was fairly easy to cut yourself on molds- so I decided to stay away from those and stick with container candles. (I accidently cut a tendon in my right hand a year or two ago- didn't want to go through that again) Anyway- I started cutting the wax- First I used thread tied between two dowels- it was killing my hands, though, and the thread kept breaking. So I bought a cake divider- and it worked well until I broke it. It was the middle of the night, and I remembered I had a set of paring knives I'd bought just for craft purposes, so I got one out. I managed to stab through my left hand- not a good first week for candle-making. If pillar wax is more difficult- I had better steer clear of it.

Dee Dee...which wax are you using from Peak? If it's one of the really soft ones, you can cut it pretty easily. If it's one of the others, put it in the freezer for a little while, when you take it out, put it in an old pillowcase or something and wack the hell out of it with a hammer. :P

I'm thinking you might want to try the wax that comes in granules or flakes. I'm not sure about parrifin container wax, but I think there's a soy container wax that comes in flakes. No cutting, just scoop it out with a cup and put it on your scale, no worrying about slicing another tendon! Or, you might try votives, I know Peak's has a votive blend that comes in a nice bag that you just scoop right on out. And I haven't yet cut myself with a votive mold...

It was the middle of the night, and I remembered I had a set of paring knives I'd bought just for craft purposes, so I got one out. I managed to stab through my left hand- not a good first week for candle-making. If pillar wax is more difficult- I had better steer clear of it.
OK you're not allowed to play with knives anymore. Dynamite only. Or a hammer. Can we trust you not to beat your finger to a pulp? If you switch to pillars you can break your wax rather than cutting it. Throw it out the window if necessary. You can use seamless aluminum pillar molds - they don't have the sharp edges.

Maybe I had better stay away from candle making altogether. I had been reading posts before I started making candles- and had found that it was fairly easy to cut yourself on molds- so I decided to stay away from those and stick with container candles. (I accidently cut a tendon in my right hand a year or two ago- didn't want to go through that again) Anyway- I started cutting the wax- First I used thread tied between two dowels- it was killing my hands, though, and the thread kept breaking. So I bought a cake divider- and it worked well until I broke it. It was the middle of the night, and I remembered I had a set of paring knives I'd bought just for craft purposes, so I got one out. I managed to stab through my left hand- not a good first week for candle-making. If pillar wax is more difficult- I had better steer clear of it.

Surely you jest

Thank you for all of the suggestions- I didn't know if there might be a trick that everyone else knew. My hands don't work very well -for obvious reasons- and I thought there might be an easier way to cut wax, without cutting myself. I've been using a cheese slicer for a day or two- it is slow, and a little tiring for my hands, but it seems to be safe. I'll have to look into the flaked wax, and the molds without sharp edges. I'll keep thinking about the dynamite or a chainsaw- insurance rates can't get much higher anyway. :)