layerd rustics gushing FO

I guess I had beginners luck making my first layered rustics...they were all fine. Now the last two batches are a mess. When I unmolded them, I noticed a dark spot on the top of the candle...I pressed it and FO came squirting out all over the place......it has happened with two different batches...using 3 kinds of FO's in each candle....I almost always use 1 oz per lb and added steric and vybar 343. My question is: because the wax is so cool when pouring rustics does it not bind with the FO's as well. I poured the same wax for a regular mottled candle and it was fine. This just happened with the layered rustics.??????? So today I thought I will just make my chunkies rustic and not "crackle" them to make them shinny. I feel like screaming.

The only times I've not had it bind with the wax was when the FOs had vanilla in them or just plain refused to mix into the wax. Just sounds like an oil slick slipped in when you were pouring since rustic is a fast pour. You might try mixing the FO in longer and see if that helps any. I do have two FOs that just refuse to mix, so they're used for incense or dust collectors.

Do you need mottling for a rustic candle?

Any time you load up wax to mottle you're in tricky territory. The Vybar 343 can be unpredictable too. I've had formulations that bled much more with it than without it (literally gushed and made oil slicks like yours), probably because under certain circumstances it can promote mottling and this overwhelms the oil binding effect.

If by any chance you don't need the mottle, make your life easier and use a wax that holds fragrance better or use some Vybar 130. -A

thanks everyone....this all makes sense.....all of it....I think I added the FO's when the wax was too cool.....poked relief holes too soon.....and all the rest. I am going to wait a week or so to compose myself and let my brain heal...then try again...I don't need the mottle so I am going to use a little less FO and see how it goes....I was using 3 different FO's in each candle....2 different batches with different oils....so I see that I was having beginers luck....cause I made a whole bunch that turned out fine. And I do know about vanilla...ick...I have to mix and mix and then don't pour the last of the pitcher. Wonder why they have to make it that way....everyone complains about vanilla. I also have trouble with English Mulberry....it just won't blend either. Thanks again. Donita

I'm thinking that your wax was on the cool side when you added fo and it didnt blend in well. I notice with my rustics I do not have the weeping I normally do with my mottles.

Had this happen to me and I found out my thermometer was out. Oil was in pockets in the wax because the wax was too cool for the FO to blend in. Went and bought two new thermometers. So now I heat my wax to a little over 200 (melted in the presto pot - it often goes higher), pour it into a warm pouring pot, let it cool to around 190, add the FO and stir. Sometimes, I pour it back and forth into another warmed pour pot, stirring as I go, before I let it cool. Have not burned off the FO at that temp. I was also told that I should add FO before the color so I could see if there are any globs of FO not blended in. HTH :)

Well Scented.....we just can't all be as smart as you. LOL.....somedays I am just brain dead. My husband who knows NOTHING about candlemaking said he thought that my wax wasn't hot enough to bind the oils.....just made sense to him for some reason.....I will give it a try again....maybe.....today I want to try to embed a picture again....ick.....I don't have high hopes....but I have been reading some interesting posts.