New Label for new range

Comments, suggestions....

Will be going on Status jars for those that "don't like" country. Never thought I would see the day that I use those jars as I detest them, however you have to give the people what they want. Also many of the stores here are after something more modern / simple and many we have approached have loved our candles, but said that they are just "too country" for the store and would not sell.

How I wish store owners would be just a little more adventurous.

We are going to have these printed, so will either have the scent on the warning label underneath of a small scent label either on back of or lid of jar. Still undecided on that part. These jars will be poured white, no colour at all to keep it simple and to set off the black label.

post-10747-139458483766_thumb.jpg

Edited by RichardLOZ

Thanks Tribal. If there were any other jar I could use though I would use it. I hate the damn metro / status jars and everyone bloody uses them. That in itself creates another issue as our wonderful suppliers here never have the damn things in stock! ACS has them at the moment, but NCS hasn't had them for I don't know how many months now. I mean really, if they know that they always sell out, then why not get a larger shipment in. Fixes supply and means they would most likely be able to get better pricing anyway. Doesn't make any sense to me? Oh well such is life and I guess we have to work with what we have hey :)

Thanks for your comments. Just not sure what to do about scent label as yet as we will have these labels printed, but I am not quite ready to have 1000 labels x 12 scents printed before I know how they will sell. We were going to the more "upmarket" look with these ones as we are looking to go up against Ecoya in the shops that we will be targeting. We can definitely beat them on price and quality, as I know what they wholesale their large metros for. Some of the stores we have spoken to as well are not happy with Ecoya's 5 price rises over the past 2 years, but I guess they have to keep their shareholders happy considering they are listed on the ASX.

Hi Richard, the label looks great! I use the metro's also and have been waiting months and months for NCS to get them in. Every time I ring, they tell me ''3 or 4 weeks''....theve been telling me that since the start of the year! I got them from ACS and was very happy with them. Have you burnt an Ecoya candle? I'm often tempted to buy one of the high priced candles just to see if the price is justified.

If you dont mind sharing, what does it work out per label to have them made up for you? I make my own clear labels but the solid colours look very nice.

waiting months and months for NCS to get them in. Every time I ring, they tell me ''3 or 4 weeks''....theve been telling me that since the start of the year!

That is pretty typical of Sydney. From what I recall they have not had any jar stock besides apothecary (which has been good for us as that is our main jar) for pretty much a year or more. Just like their oils. They discontinued Apples & maple Bourbon - reason - the supplier no longer carries it. Yeah right! So why can I go along to Candle Science and purchase it then?

I got them from ACS and was very happy with them.

Yeah I have some boxes of ACS metros's hopefully arriving this week. I swore I would NEVER use those damn jars as I HATE them, but if we are to compete against Ecoya we don't have too much choice as it seems like that is what people want. We have our country fans, however most shops just don't go for them, or else they wont fit into their decor range.

Have you burnt an Ecoya candle? I'm often tempted to buy one of the high priced candles just to see if the price is justified.

Yeah I have bought one at bloody $35.00 and it was crap! HT was ok. Burn was rubbish. Yes it burnt ok as far as not leaving any hang etc, although that would depend on how much you enjoy having black soot around the top of the jar. So much soot that the top inch of the jar may as well have been coloured black. Not something I would buy or burn again, but as we all know, some customers either don't care or don't know any better as that is what they are used to!

If you dont mind sharing, what does it work out per label to have them made up for you? I make my own clear labels but the solid colours look very nice.

From a printer in Melbourne the 6 x 4 labels work out at $55.00 / 1000. I am expecting a sample in the mail this week before I go ahead and order. We will get them done as per the picture and then either put the scent on the warning label, or just add another small scent label somewhere on the jar itself. If they take off and I can justify the price, perhaps I will then get the labels printed with the scent on the front, although without testing the market and considering we are starting with 12 scents (which as we all know will change), I figured that I didnt really want to get 12,000 labels printed without the market testing first :)

Hi Richard, thats seems like a very reasonable price for labels. Can I suggest a solution for your lack of a scent name on the label......print the scent name on clear round labels and put it on the lid. You can also include the nett weight. If you dont have any of those labels, I'll gladly send you a sheet to play with.

Wow soot on the ecoya candle {and lots of it by the sounds of it} really surprises me. Does the glass get hot?? Did that happen with regular burning {as opposed to power burning}? I have a few customers who tell me they used to buy Glasshouse candles before mine. One day I will buy one for myself to see if the hefty price is justified!

Hiya Richard, I am wondering if you really HATE the metros, why use them. What about the square jars? The ones without the lid at ACS. To me the squares look classy and that label would look lovely on one. If I was looking to buy snobby candle it would be a square lol. Hope that makes sense...kinda sleep deprived today.

As far as NCS are concerned they have been oos on honey pots since dec 09...bloody disgusting service and there shipping is sooo expensive. To worried about expanding into soap and b&b. Would be so good if we had decent supplier here on the east coast.

I have used the squares from ACS in the past and found that they dont sell for us. I also definitely want jars with lids as they do hold the scent in better (thinking from a customer perspective now as we know better).

I still have about 24 square jars here which I will eventually pour with Frangipani to get rid of them. The small metros are "ok" I guess, although lack of availability is a major issue though.

In regards to the Ecoya jars. I bought one and burnt it as we would if testing, so basically controlled burns for a specific number of hours / inch. If I recall I was getting soot from about 1/3 into the burn and it just got worse from there. By the time I got to the end of the jar, it looked as through the jar was coloured black for the top 1/2 to 1 inch. Glass was not too hot to touch. Pretty disappointing for a supposed "major" player in the candle market here, but lets face it, most of the general public still don't know any better.

Love, love, love the label, the font. I hate country candles but they sell well for me...I phased out status jars and am strictly using the lantern jars...people don't mind paying extra for them...I get the lanterns at home depot and I need those large handled lids plus I decorate accordingly so Just the jar without wax has cost me $5.00....it holds 22oz of wax so I've been charging $20.00 and I have people who come back to have them refilled and I charge $12.00. Isn't our exchange rate pretty much even right now?

Thanks for the nice comments :) We love country hence why a lot of our range is very mid west American prim which people here just don't get at all.

Expensive jars there at $5 each! Our exchange rate is better than even. This morning is was 1.08 AUD to 1 USD, so its great for us buying form over there right now. I just need to get a quote now on shipping cases of 464 over. $54.95 / case there, $100 / case here at the moment :(

I like the rounded corners. If you want to sell the square jars you have let me know please. I want to use them for Christmas pressies and will need to start testing soon...have been holding off on my order to ACS waiting for them to come back in stock. Im a sucker for punishment...I want to put GG in them...sometimes I think im truly insane.

Hello Richard,

Your labels are just so classy. I love them llike I love all your products! Are the fonts going to be in silver as in the picture here? Yep, and I like the rounded corners too. Like Koala bear said, you could always put the scent on the jar lid, but I'd put the ounces on the warning label. I think the scent name should really be on the main label of the jar, but for costs sake of having them printed, I just can't afford it and do my scent label separate. If you do decide to put it on the main label, how bout just reducing your floral logo on the label a bit, then you could squeeze in your scent there? Then that also would bring all your lettering up to the middle of the label...You'll figure it out...lol What ever you do, will be beautiful, I know. Can't wait to see your finished product with the label on the jar!

Trapp

Hey Richard, I'm just now seeing this. I think that is a very attractive label. Please let me know if you are pleased with how the printer does them. My label has a border around it too, and when doing my own printing and cutting, it is a huge pain in the ass to get the border even around all four edges. I would love to get my labels printed professionally, but I didn't know what to expect with the border, lol.