Question

I have a wholesale account that is new. They are wanting to purchase candles from me. They have already purchased aroma ornies. they have asked if I would offer a reduced price candle in each scent along with the ones they purchase. they will be purchasing 8-10 scents to start and 4 candles of each at regular price. My thing is already they are getting them at wholesale. They said they would pay wholesale if they had to but by burning them sales increased in the past. I have never had a wholesale customer ask me this so I am confused as to what to do. I only offer the 8 ounce square mason jar style candle as I have found it the best seller in my area. What advise do you all have regarding this? I could sell at cost in hopes that it increases sales and I could make them purchase it at regular wholesale. I just don't know what my better option in the end would be. What do you advise? I don't want to shortchange myself and I don't want to seem like I am a hard to work with business either. In today's economy, you have to look out for yourself or you'll go out of business.

I have not yet got a wholesale account, but plan to start making calls next month. My plan is to to give a free candle to the store with their first order so that they can burn it in store. This will help them get the line moving. After that, they can pull from their wholesale stock to burn in store. If I figure that I am only loosing one candle at my cost, the loss is minimal and will help promote my sales and the stores sales

they will be purchasing 8-10 scents to start and 4 candles of each at regular price.

Do you mean they will be looking for 8-10 different scents and will be purchasing 4 of each scent at wholesale price? Depending on how much of a discount they are asking for... I think burning a candle will help sales...but, I do not think I would really want to discount one of each scent for them to use instore... wholesale pricing is usually a great price to begin with.

Some people give out an extra candle for the shop to burn along with their wholesale order. I do on occasion. I think that would be a perfect way to show your appreciation of their order and its a great way to advertise by having them burn one during biz hours. But asking for one of each scent below wholesale is nuts. They should absorb the cost themselves and buy at wholesale if they want to burn so many candles to attract customers.

If it were me I would go back to them and offer to give them one with their initial order. But thats it. You are not giving stuff away and they have a lot of nerve asking for it. If you give in to this who knows what they will ask for next. Honestly this does not sound like a good customer to me. I have never had one ask such a thing and it makes them look unprofessional. Are they new at this?!!

Edited by Candybee

Because of insurance a lot of stores can't burn candles so I suggest they buy a wax melter to use in store. I give them some melts to try then they purchase any additional ones at a discount. It does help a lot if the customers can smell the scents when they walk in.