Things I have learned through Trial and Error

Well, so I'm starting this thread because maybe others will join in with the idea, and maybe it'll be a good place for newbies to come and "learn from my mistake."

What prompted this idea was today's trial and error failure. I got a heat gun not long ago, and am still learning a few things with it. So today was working on a new type of candle and needed the heat gun to get some air bubbles released. And promptly forgot that the mold sealer putty would probably get hot and ucky when I was using the blasted thing. I'd put the pillar up on a wire rack so to get the bottom (Top of the candle) with the heat gun so it would be smooth. I just came back from cleaning up a massive wax mess from that experiment... Whoops.

Anyone else have some oops moments you think someone should think about before making a new type of candle? I'm sure we've all done stuff like this. :tiptoe:

Just going to say you can remedy that problem by poking at the air bubbles that sit in the "danger zone" so to speak and that usually releases them. You can see the bubbles as shiny spots in the wax unless you're using a really dark color or doing chunks.

If I were to ever admit to my don'ts, it would fill a library, but the one that really always comes to mind first is never go after a set candle once it has fallen into hot, molten was (say doing overdips and the wick breaks free) as the wax does burn and is a little too hot on the skin. Not going to comment further on that.

LOL Richard, that was too funny.

I guess my oops moment would be to invest in some actual wick setters. I used clothespins once and came back to find a dozen candles with clothes pins embedded in the wax. :angry2:

LOL Pixie, I've done similar. And learning the hard way that even the tiny X style wick locators just don't work for a 2 inch pillar. Actually bamboo skewers work better for those for me, propped up over a couple cups. Need a longer wick, but hey, no weird stuff in the candle when it's set.

Scented, I've done that one too. Overdip into very hot pigment really sucks. Oh and the cleanup is horrible.

Don't pour FO into those little plastic Dixie cups, it eats through the plastic; use the waxed paper Dixie cups instead.

That reminds me of the first time I poured FO into a plastic measuring cup. I was shocked at how that stuff ate the plastic away! Had to throw the measuring cup away too!

Don't dip your finger into the melter to check the temperature of your wax because you are too lazy to look for the thermometer either. Your finger tip cannot tell the difference between 150 and 250 degrees, really it can't :)

I had another brilliant trial and error moment. While fighting with the frosting on the soy tarts I had the brilliant idea to test if it was the dye reacting by making my own dye with oxide and soybean oil. It's not like I had any wicks to worry about clogging right?? Well turns out there's another reason we don't do that. When the wax melts all of the oxides drop to the bottom leaving white wax and crumbs in your burner.

OH and the tarts still frosted.

So now that I've done my stupid thing on to researching right? . . . Guess what there's stupid thing #2: Universal Additive isn't Universal Soy Additive . . . no wonder the melt points were so different . . . .

So hopefully this weekend I'll be able to make good tarts now that I figured that out

OMG, I'm sorry but these are some of the funniest stories ever! Mostly because I could totally see myself doing most of them!

Exhibit A: I use an electronic cigarette, I went to get a bottle of e-cigarette juice out of my little storage drawer. I saw an unmarked bottle of juice and went to sniff it to try & figure out what flavor it was. Out of habit, or stupidity, I gave the bottle a little squeeze while I was sniffing it. Yep, snorted the juice... which contains nicotine. Burned like a Mother Trucker!

Edited by jluper7297

Originally Posted by HorsescentS viewpost-right.png

Don't pour FO into those little plastic Dixie cups, it eats through the plastic; use the waxed paper Dixie cups instead.

Dollar stores sell little stainless steel cups that are perfect for measuring.

Edited by Ring of Fire

Hey there, what PV are you using, and your favourite juice and juice vendor?

I use a Silver Bullet, custom made for me. Hot pink & Black. My favorite juice vendors are AVE & Liquid Express. Banana & RY4 are my fave flavors. Taboo by Liquid Express is AMAZING! I am friends with Chad (manufacturer & creator of the Silver Bullet, BB & Omega) and quite a few of the Vendors.

Edited by jluper7297

I use a Silver Bullet, custom made for me. Hot pink & Black.

Sounds nice. I have my Provari and a Grip VV feeder being made at the moment. Still need to try some juice from the US vendors, but will eventually get around to it.

Slightly off topic.....ohh well....LOL

Thank you! I love those little stainless steel cups & have only seen them at WalMart. I like the paper Dixie cups because I can squeeze the rim into the shape of a pointy pour spout & pour any extra FO back into the FO bottle without spilling.

Originally Posted by HorsescentS viewpost-right.png

That sounds like something I'm going to start working with. Been doing the paper cups, but it seems wasteful to me if I'm just using a single scent oil.

Don't touch your face after working with liquid dye....took forever to get the red off - once was enough. (Didn't realize I had it on my hands).

FO is an amazing dye remover. I just rub a little piece of paper towel inside the cup the FO was in, then I can get dye off of my oven handle & fingers, etc. Now I wrap my oven handle with saran wrap before I start.

Sounds nice. I have my Provari and a Grip VV feeder being made at the moment. Still need to try some juice from the US vendors, but will eventually get around to it.

Slightly off topic.....ohh well....LOL

Nice! How do you like the Provari? They look very nice, but I just couldn't justify the price when I have 2 silver bullets in perfectly good condition. Mods are addictive and ever changing. I finally decided to sell all but the ones I used the most and quit buying the latest & greatest. You know?