Shipping... I'm at my wits end!!!

lauramw71

I am about to either lose my mind, or pull all my hair out. LOL I'm starting to create a website... For 2 days I've been trying to figure shipping charges out. At first I was going to just go with priority flat rate shipping. Well that was until I pulled out the small and medium boxes. The small boxes aren't wide enough to fit even 1 bottle of lotion. The medium boxes are too earn big!

So I guess my question is, what boxes do you use?? Right now I'm at "walk-away" mode because I'm getting frustrated. Do you purchase plain boxes? I've scoured the usps site and don't really see any other kinds of boxes except the flatish ones. I'm using paypal shopping cart, so I was going to go with either a dollar amount or quantity to set my prices.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me. I think right now I'm ready to poke my eyeballs out with a plastic spoon! lol

Laura

We use alot of the usps 7x7x6 (I think) to ship most of our retail orders in ...I would have to check with my shipping dept to be sure BUT that ones seems to range around $7.50 (give or take some) to ship and will fit more then one item also.

Laura we feel your pain! Shipping is so hard to get right. You don't want to over charge your customer and don't want to eat your profits either.

USPS does offer quite a few boxes and if your looking at the flat rate shipping, you might also want to look at the regional shipping boxes as well. They work well with our 8 ounce bottles of sprays (not sure how big yours is) or another thing that we did was to work out a deal with a local paper crafter to make our shipping boxes. They not only are hand crafted (a plus to us in that were supporting another small business), they also look so cute! We even put a bow on them and our customers just love that! Also doing these boxes we are able to still ship some items first class and avoid priority rates.

Hope this helps some and sure some others will have some good ideas as well, but for sure, check out the link that Silver pointed out. After all free is better then anything above =)

We use alot of the usps 7x7x6 (I think) to ship most of our retail orders in ...I would have to check with my shipping dept to be sure BUT that ones seems to range around $7.50 (give or take some) to ship and will fit more then one item also.

Are these boxes your talking about, I pay about the same. give or take a dollar.

Edited by bearmnt

I agree with others about the regional rate boxes. They have saved my customers a good chunk of change. The sizes are decent for most things.

Also check Uline for boxes. They stock hundreds - if not thousands - of sizes. I have a mix of Uline and USPS depending on the items being shipped and the amount of extra security the items require for safe transit.

ITA that shipping is the most difficult part. My shopping cart usually overestimates shipping charges.My policy is to refund overages of more than $1.