Testing with 6006 for first time

I have tested with soy 464 and 444, now with 6006, like it so far. With that said I have poured a few candles, 8oz JJ, quilted. Going to test burn tomorrow, used HTP83 wicks. 1.2 and 1.4 oz FO to lb of wax. The thing that I find funny is, I get (3) 8oz candles out of a lb of wax. Sometimes the math is crazy. No repours, had to hit a couple with heat gun, but so far, looks great, nice and smooth.....will let you know tomorrow

Still very early into the burn, isn't the rule of thumb to burn 1 hour per inch diameter? If you don't get a FMP after 3 hours it might catch up later as the wax level goes down. I am still waiting to test burn mine. I will be trying with CD wicks. I had to put them in a cabinet, out of sight out of mind. I assume that 6006 required some amount of cure time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21911[/ATTACH] is that enough to worry about, or do I need to try another wick? first time with HTP wicks

Burn the candle all the way and then decide. The candle is a dynamic system that changes it characteristics throughout the burn, only when you view the whole process can that me determined (unless one make a super obvious mistake). I would guess that your may be fine but keep testing.

44-36-18 zinc wick worked perfect, gonna try a couple others, testing is gonna be never ending, thats what makes it fun...

I'm really surprised that a 44z wick worked perfect for you, I used 51z wicks in 6006 in 8 oz jj's with 1 oz p.p. and 1.50 oz p.p. of FO.

Hi, I use 6006 and in the 8 oz. JJ I was using a CD12 or CD14 for heavier oils, and CD16 in the 16 oz. sq. mason jar.

I'm burning 6006 (Lilac) 8 oz 3" round jar with a CD-18, it's burning well and smelling. Will try a CD-16 next time.

Hi, I use 6006 and in the 8 oz. JJ I was using a CD12 or CD14 for heavier oils, and CD16 in the 16 oz. sq. mason jar.

yeah, I think I over wicked using the CD18 but I had to start some where, if I keep the wick trimmed it's ok but I does need to come done to the range you mention. My jars are about 3.5 inches in diameter.

I've been having throw issues with Peak's Clean Cotton, GW464 didn't work well and yesterday I made a 6% 6006, no dye. Cold throw seems really weak but I will burn it after 48 hours (put a CD16 in it). Any suggestions as to another FO source would be appreciated. FO is added at 185, held and stirred at that temp for 2 minutes and poured at 170F. Lots of wet spots (cold jar?) but I can work on that later.

I use IG 6006 also. I love the creamy appearance of this wax. :)I am testing 12oz Status jars 3" with CD 10 & 12. Have BCS mulberry burning now :drool: Love that scent! My problem is that I keep getting soot after the first couple burns. At first I thought it was just with the 12's but I'm finding it with the 10's also. I use 6-7%FO and color most of them. I then thought it could be due to some of the dark colors but I'm testing Amber Romance with no color and still getting soot on both the CD 10 &12.:sad2: tempted to try HTP's. Any suggestions??

I use IG 6006 also. I love the creamy appearance of this wax. :)I am testing 12oz Status jars 3" with CD 10 & 12. Have BCS mulberry burning now :drool: Love that scent! My problem is that I keep getting soot after the first couple burns. At first I thought it was just with the 12's but I'm finding it with the 10's also. I use 6-7%FO and color most of them. I then thought it could be due to some of the dark colors but I'm testing Amber Romance with no color and still getting soot on both the CD 10 &12.:sad2: tempted to try HTP's. Any suggestions??

I am using CD wicks just because I had them available but come to think of it, I have an excellent supply of LX and a good range of HTP, I should try some. Regarding the soot, I need to keep on top of the wick length as the candle burns as the flame starts getting too large. I'm liking the idea of trying the HTPs, guessing an 83 or 93?

Edited by rjdaines

finally I get the FO from Peaks tomorrow, havent made a candle in a dam week, the friend that tested mt candle is out of town, so I cant ask a few questions about the "test" room size, ac or things like that....Also lets the candle I made set up and cure.....

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On December 15, 2011 at 3:32 AM, Ravens said:

I also use the IGI 6006 on a regular basis. I get the best throw from zinc wicks, followed by CDs.

Ive never used zinc wicks before. May I ask where you purchase your zinc wicks . Also, do you think they'd burn too hot for candle tins - I'm thinking

about trying them in either 4 or 6 oz round candle tins ? Thank you in advance :) 

Guest OldGlory

I don't know if Ravens is still around.

I use zincs in 6006 in jars, but I have made tins also. I would try a 44 in the 6 oz tin because I think that's about the same diameter as my small jar. Is there a small zinc than 44? I buy mine from Aztec.

Yep, there is a 36z wick that I use sometimes in small containers. They work great for me with 6006 and easy to burn FOs in jelly jars and even sometimes in 8oz square masons.  I've never used the 4 or 6oz tins, so not sure about them.  I get the 36z's from The Flaming Candle.

• Like 1

I use mostly zincs in the 6006 as well.

Once issue I have is the apothecarys. They are roughyl 4" diamater. The biggest zincs I know of are 62s which I have used before.

But even that isn't quite working on these jars for most of the scents. I tried double wicking them but no idea where to start with double wicking zincs.
The smallest zincs I have are 44s and two of those made a full melt pool in 25 minutes! Oppse, Lol!  Then they drowned I guess because the melt pool got too big too quick? Kind hard to figure it out. Double wicking you use smaller wicks since but it also means you get a pool quicker which means they can drown so I am bit baffled on what to do with the big apothecarys and 6006. I have plenty of other wicks to try but just haven't yet since zincs have always worked the best for me in this wax. I do have premiersa and CDs which have also been descent for me in this wax.

On another note.... do you all find that you can keep the wick size the same usually when usnig a taller version of the same jar (same diameter etc) or do you have to wick up?

For example, small mason and large mason. Both have diameter of 3".  I would think considering everything is the same except the height, that same wick would work. But I have also heard rumblings that you typically need to wick up because taller jars create a vaccuum of less oxygen requiring a larger wick. Not sure how much truth there is to that. I haven't experienced this personall but I haven't generally used many of the same jar/different size. 

Was hoping to get some feed back on this