Is the wick really that important to get a good HT?

Another wick company is Fil-Tech. Haven't tried their wick challenge but they claim they will test your wax and candle application and find the perfect wick for you. They are also the company that produced the wicks used in the candles for the film Pirates of the Carribean. The candles had to burn within the strict parameters required by the film's production company.

Here's Fil-Techs link: http://www.candle-wicking.com/index.html

Another wick company is Fil-Tech. Haven't tried their wick challenge but they claim they will test your wax and candle application and find the perfect wick for you. They are also the company that produced the wicks used in the candles for the film Pirates of the Carribean. The candles had to burn within the strict parameters required by the film's production company.

Here's Fil-Techs link: http://www.candle-wicking.com/index.html

And they do this for free? I'll check out the website and the movie... :cheesy2:

That is why I suggested some of BCN's oils they throw well in paraffin and soy

Had to repost because my previous post I forgot to add your quote. I agree BCN's oils are well worth trying out both for paraffin and soy.

I was just trying to point out that oils may not perform the same in soy as they do in the Honeywell J waxes. A new person may not realise J50 and J223 are paraffin container blends designed for a more superior hot throw.

• 2 weeks later...
I've used WYW FO's for many years and the only wax I have found I could get away with 3 - 5% is straight paraffin. In my parasoy blend I need to use at least 1 oz./lb for a superior HT. I don't know the waxes you are using, but if they are primarily soy wax you definately will need to use more FO.

Not to hijack the thread, but what blend do you use?

I am checking, but so far, I haven't found anything at their site that says to only use 3-4% (I may be overlooking something). I have read their "We Test In Soy" page and they state they use 1 oz. PP for testing in EZ Soy... The fragrance you are using has a "medium scent throw" rating... Me? I'd try using slightly more.

In general, I seldom have seen much advantage in using the concentrated FO products offered by various companies. While the concentrates do seem somewhat stronger, they don't really save me much in terms of money or the amount needed to get the hot throw I am seeking. I can't speak to this particular company's products, but that's been my experience with others.

I agree completely... I have used WYW in the past and really like a few but had to use at least 1 oz pp to get a good throw. I used them because I like a certain smell I got. Their Vanilla grapefruit is the best smelling, yummy. When that scent was popular I sold a lot. But they stopped selling and I got away from them.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by ChrisR viewpost-right.png

I've used WYW FO's for many years and the only wax I have found I could get away with 3 - 5% is straight paraffin. In my parasoy blend I need to use at least 1 oz./lb for a superior HT. I don't know the waxes you are using, but if they are primarily soy wax you definately will need to use more FO.

I think most who say they use less than 1 oz pp are using paraffin. I usually use 1.5 oz pp with soy 435.

Edited by Sharon in KY

I have now tested some other wicks such as CD and HTP and they are sooting, I went down to a CD 8 that burned fine but the HT wasn't any better then with the LX wicks. I will not test anymore wicks, LX burns just beautiful, no soot, not to hot, no hang up after the first burns, and no trimming needed. I just will have to find scents that throws in my combo.

I have a few that works good and now I have ordered some more from Heaven Scents and are going to try Day-star too, not that many ships to Sweden.

• 3 months later...
WYW is a concentrated FO that shouldn't be used at more then 3-4%, I have tried regular FO's too at 1 oz pp and it's the same. My container are a tumbler that is just under 3 inch. I'm on my third burn now and are getting a FMP and I _can_ feel the HT. I have cured this candle for 2 weeks, and I gave one away to a tester, maybe I just have candlenose.

I have tried CD 12 and 14 before and now I have set up testers with CD 10 and 12. I will try to get up a photo if I found out how to do it :-)

I sure can try to up the FO, but then I think I have to change FO, WYW is quite expensive since it's so concentrated.

Thanks for the help :-)

I don't have much to offer on the wick except I have found it can make a difference but only on a candle already throwing. Changing the wick can sometimes help it throw better.

More on topic for your dilemma possibly....What I have found on the super concentrated fragrance oils, which is about 85% of my line....that even tho' they are so very concentrated not every one will throw great in my wax. Like 90% do but I have run across those few that do not. At the same time, I've read rave reviews of others having great success on the same oils that wouldn't throw for me.

GL with your mission

The concentrated FOs that I have used are stronger than the regular FOs but they don't throw TWICE as strong, etc. If I used them at .5 oz. PP, they'd be weak, but at 1 oz. pp, they aree very strong...

On the ones I use they put the recommended usage on the label and highly suggest not to go over that amount. It was very hard for me not to pour the usual 1.0 oz/pp but got used to it. They do throw awesome at .50-.75%. I honestly have to say they do truly smell TWICE as strong as most I have purchased from the well known suppliers that call for 1 oz pp. The couple that didn't throw for me wouldn't even throw adding 1.0 oz. They seemed to just not like my wax, I guess.

I am not downing other suppliers by any means and I do use them...I am saying at the rate suggested to use on the super concentrates vs the rate suggested to use on "regular" scents, the SC's are stronger on those I was able to get to throw for me with one supplier for sure and looks to be another one I am testing now. I use other suppliers but need to use anywhere from 1.0 to 1.5 to get a somewhat comparable throw unless we are talking pine or something that throws crazy strong from many, many places.

I was skeptical as well when I first went that route but I really can attest that they do work at half the amount..or 3/4. Here comes the but....I recently ordered 2 scents I needed from a supplier I had not ordered from before. They were said to be very concentrated, the reviews on them were great and I got next to nothing...ended up using both 8 oz bottles for tons of tarts. I just ordered from a 3rd place who also has very concentrated scents. I ordered 3 scents I needed for the upcoming seasons not in my main line. These are the ones I posted about earlier that aren't behaving themselves in wicking......or it could be the new jars. Jury is out on that one. I used .5 oz on both can get a wonderful ST with some wicks but cannot get the MP. If I get the MP, I can't get the throw but that is another discussion at another post :)

As always in candlemaking....what works for one may not work for the next. What one prefers, the other may not. I must admit tho' I do like the challenge in this hobby/business. Well, most days. I also believe/found out not all fragrances labeled as super concentrates are created equal. It definitely is not a straight across the board thing for me to suggest...hey go out and buy these b/c they work better. Nope..not at all. I have not used WYW to offer an opinion even tho' BCN is right here in my state.

Edited by jeanie353

I also believe/found out not all fragrances labeled as super concentrates are created equal.

Yeah you right. I forgot to say in my previous post that the concentrates I have used were NOT from WYW, but from a couple of other sources.

the SC's are stronger... can get a wonderful ST with some wicks

I am assuming the SC above means "super concentrates" but I can't figure out what ST is...

I could be wrong, but I think you may be confusing yourself and your results. Until one can get a consistent burn and HT from "normal" FOs, throwing concentrated FOs into the mix will only confuse the issue. My advice is to get the wicking down FIRST on EACH container you plan to sell before jumping all around on the FOs strengths.

Yeah you right. I forgot to say in my previous post that the concentrates I have used were NOT from WYW, but from a couple of other sources.

I am assuming the SC above means "super concentrates" but I can't figure out what ST is...

I could be wrong, but I think you may be confusing yourself and your results. Until one can get a consistent burn and HT from "normal" FOs, throwing concentrated FOs into the mix will only confuse the issue. My advice is to get the wicking down FIRST on EACH container you plan to sell before jumping all around on the FOs strengths.

Yes and ST was scent throw.

I was using only regular (not sure I like that word but for lack of thinking of something better at the moment.......) scents from the suppliers so many of us use (which are good..no disputing that) until I found one who specified all their scents were SC's where less was needed to achieve the same or better ST than "regular" scents. I thought ok...I'll give it a try with a few samples. That went great so I ordered more samples and that went great. After that I just moved on to 8oz bottles and lb bottles since there was no disputing the claim was backed up. They just don't carry a ton of scents to choose from so at this time of year (and when I get a whim) I'll order from my other favorite places.

The other one did not back up their claim...at least not in my wax and the 3rd one appears to going to back theirs up as well. The 3rd one does not say use .5 oz pp except in paraffin and says use 1 oz in soy but say they are VERY strong. I am finding that to be true. Since I use a parasoy blend I went with .75 and I am extremely pleased with the throw with some of my wicks during this testing thing.

Sooo, I think I should correct myself from earlier when I think I stated I tried 3 places that say they use SC's and only .5 oz is needed. Only one says that across the board where the other says it for paraffin. However, that one does produce some kick butt fragrance oils. At .75 oz pp, I am not saving much money - if any but the quality is there. The other where I use .5 oz/pp I am actually saving money along with a darn nice throwing candle.

Did any of that makes sense...? It is past my nap time and have no coffee in hand.

Edited by jeanie353

Is it a local Swedish product? I could not readily find it when I Googled... Some FO formulations work better with soy-based waxes than do others. The EcoSoya products you are using are usually "friendlier" to a wider range of FOs than their CBA, but that could be part of the issue, too.

WYW is the more concentrated version that BCN bought out (wick your wax). The are supposed to be used at .5 oz per lb. The ones I have are super strong so I don't think the quality/strength of the oils is the issue. I have only used them with palm wax so I can't help with soy compatibility.