SquareUp

Beezy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I bit the bullet and went and got the Droid to go with my Square. O this thing is ADDICTIVE ! I wont know how the cell service is with Sprint til later ( not going a lot of places during the holiday madhouse) but if it works in these three cities Im around, I'll be ok, and it says it does... we'll see :)

What happens if you can't get a wifi/cell signal at a show? Not only is my only alternative for a Droid has spotty coverage, but I know I've been in some downtown shows with normal massive cell coverage, and I can't get a signal for crap. I'd hate to have to run outside with someone's CC every time I needed to make a sell... or , be in an area where I can't get cell signal . Is there any way to use Square up like Propay and store the number til later? Or any other alternatives. I have my Square, was going to get a Droid for Christmas, but if its more trouble than its worth, I'll skip the expense of the Droid purchase.

Anyone had it and not been able to swipe? Whatd you do?

I would recommend switching cell service to a carrier like Verizon who has far better coverage.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are at an outdoor area where you do pick up wifi, is it okay to just use that? I ask, because i don't want to get a phone where I have to have a data package. There are tablets that are wifi only so can I use wifi only without 3G and all that?

Also, will other andorid tablets work. I was looking at the Toshiba thrive and that is wifi only but has the android 3.2 OS and full access to all the apps.

So glad I saw this thread. Ive been trying to find out this info for some time.

Thanks!!

Sndfrddy,

According to the Square website, it does appear that you can use just WiFi to process Credit Cards. https://help.squareup.com/customer/portal/articles/157685-can-i-take-payments-offline-

I would call to make sure. The only problem with using a WiFi only device, is that you would obviously only be able to use it where WiFi is available. That might be a problem if you were to have a craft show in a building or outside in a place without public WiFi access. Just a thought.

As for which tablets and such you can use, there is a link on the squareup website that lists the devices. It does state that Android Honeycomb (android 3.X) is not yet supported. I'm an Android guy, I don't have a tablet, but I would think that your best bet for a tablet, if you want ALL the functionality would be an apple iPad, since they have a special app that works on the iPad for doing "Item Library" (I don't know what that is) and Cash Drawer and Receipt printer integration.

Hope that helps.

Two stupid questions here.

1. Do customers resist using this method as they think you may be storing their credit card info on your phone?

2. How do you get your money? lol Is it connected to your bank?

1. I've never had anyone say anything in that respect. Some do it and some don't.

2. It is connected to your bank account and Square sends you an email within a day or so telling you that they are putting your money in your account.

It's not like PayPal where ou have to manually transfer funds to your bank. Square does it for you. HTH! :-)

Edited by jackbenimble

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to point out that many of the pre-pay phone services are getting smart phones now, for those who don't want to go contract and data plan. I use Virgin Mobile and I bought a 100 phone and the monthly fees are 35-55 depending on the minutes you get.