Jokes Over!!

ktaggard

Okay everyone, How do you really make scented tarts? Give up your secrets!!! :smiley2:

I have made about 25 batches with different wax and FO combos and none of them throw very well. I consider myself quite crafty - so this failure is making me crazy. Let me tell you what I have done thus far:

1. I have ordered about 40 different fragrances from Candle Science, NG, TCS, Peaks and KY.

2. 3 different waxes - KY Parasoy blend; IGI 4794/415 combo at 75%/25%, 66%/33%, and 50%/50% ratios; and I have used TCS blended container wax.

3. Heated waxes to a variety of temps ranging from 165 to 190 degrees.

4. Stirred in FO from 1 min to 3 min.

5. Poured from 150 to 170 degrees.

6. I have poured most tarts into clamshells or plastic candy molds.

7. Let them dry and harden - I sometimes put in freezer for 5 min or so to get out of molds easier.

So what do you think? What am I doing wrong? Or is there some secret ingredient that I am missing. Please be gentle with me - I really don't want to give it up. I'm still obessed!:smiley2:

Edited by ktaggard

Were the ones I sent you satisfactory? If so, I heat one lb of wax to approx. 180-185, turn off the heat, aff the FO, stir for about a minute, and pour around 170-175. Let me know how it goes. (I think one of the tarts I sent was Alhambra).

I am familiar with all the waxes you mention; the one I like the least and quit using is the KY parasoy for tarts. I know many forum members love it, but I do not.

Ravens, your tarts are awesome!! They are part of the reason I am so disappointed. I can't get mine to throw like yours. Do you add any other additives?

Kudos to all you successful smelly candle makers. It takes skill and experience. Hopefully someday, I will be among you.

No, there is no "secret' ingredient in mine. I have tried adding a few things in the past (CO, vaseline, beeswax...), and realized it didn't make a bit of difference. I'm at a loss, don't know what you could possibly be doing wrong :sad2:

Have you considered candlenose? Have you given your tarts to someone else to test? I have to do that; between candlenose and (near) permanent sinus problems, I can't smell a thing, most of the time!:rolleyes2

I realize it's frustrating, but don't give up; one day you will come back to this board screaming "EUREKA!".

Hi Ravens,

Can I ask what percentage of FO you are currently using or does it vary? I know you and I have both used some of the same waxes but I couldnt get the TCS Container to throw that great (I know that is your favorite). Right now I am using the 4794/415 combo, which has had the best results so far but I am still not 100% satisfied. The hot throw is really good for about 4 hours or so, but after that it seems to peter out. I am not sure if I am expecting too much, or maybe I have candlenose by that point and just dont notice the smell anymore. I was just curious if you find that using a higher percentage of FO makes the difference, or if even lowering the percentage in some cases makes the throw stronger. I currently use 1 oz to 14oz of wax, but plan to increase it to see if that helps. Thanks for any input!

Dessa,

Megandgarr, the amount of FO I use varies, but the average is 1.2oz pp.

For the past few weeks or so I have been experimenting with the JW6800 and 4786. Tested just one scent for now (NG's Desired) and it is nothing short of fantastic :yay:

HTH some.

Lorelie, I havent tried 415 by itself yet. I use silicone molds so I thought that wax without any paraffin added would be too soft. Do you use the 415 in molds or in clamshells?

Ravens, are you testing the JW6800 and 4786 in a blend, or are you testing them separately using the same scent?

Thanks!!!

I'm going through the same thing. But I might have a bit of a breakthrough, maybe.

I've been playing with this Genwax 128. It doesn't hold much FO. 4 or 5 percent. That's about it. I was pretty darned impressed with how well 4 percent would throw so I started mixing to see if I could keep the same good quality and increase the FO load. I mixed 50/50 with Harmony. That got me to 9 percent pretty steadily without any weaping. Then I mixed the Genwax with 4786. You won't believe this but I loaded it to 15 percent and no weaping. Wow was that a strong throw in a candle (but a lot of mushroom). So I'm going to try this with the clamshells next.

Edited by EricofAZ

Hi Erica,

Please let me know how this works for you. I am so frustrated with trying to find a good wax for tarts. Do you think the Gen Wax 128 blend with the 4786 would be too soft for tarts using a silicone mold? I like the throw on the 4794 for about the first couple of hours but then it fizzles. I think I need to try a different wax. Did you use a 50/50 blend of the two?

Thanks!

When I make tarts, I use the same exact waxes that I use for my candles (soy & palm formulas), same FOs and amounts, same additives. Tarts are a "leftover" project for me. When I have extra wax from pouring candles, I sometimes make a few tarts. They smell great, do what they are supposed to do and are totally easy to make. I use one or two in a tin on an electric warmer. I sometimes run the warmer 24/7. The fragrances last about a week - sometimes more; seldom less. I don't make clamshells or huge hunks of wax - the melts I make are .5 - 1 oz. each. HTH : )

Just curious as to how you are testing? What kind of melter are you using? tealight or electric?

Also - how big is the room you are testing in.

I would give some to my friends and let them try them. All the waxes you use are great for tarts. My favorite is Astorlite V -- however due to high price, I have switched to KY parasoy. I like it alot but do not LOVE it.

But it still throws great -- and I use 1 1/2 ounce per lb. Only exception is BCN blueberry muffin -- 1 oz is killer strong in any wax I have tried.

Edited by Barb-Cec

Today I made several batches of tarts using 50/50 4794 & 6006 and a 10% FO load. I am going to see how this works out. I use FO's from Peaks, KY, CS, NG, JS & Alabaster so I believe they are good quality oils. So many people have good luck with the 4794 alone, or the 4794/415 blend, but for me they just didnt last long enough. They started out really good and strong but would peter out after about 2-3 hours. I use the 2 in 1 electric warmers with the hot plate & removable ceramic dish. Maybe I just needed to up the FO load with the 4794/415, I dont know. So now I will see how this new combo does. I hope it throws like da bomb!!! LOL

Thank you to all who replied. I am learning so much. I am still experimenting and testing almost everyday. I am so obsessed.

I think I had a break through when I bought two metal tealight warmer at a rummage sale. I tried them and I could finally smell my tarts. I think Scentsy warmers don't get warm enough. Too bad, I have lots of them. Have any of you found a wax that works well with the Scentsy warmers? Just curious. My next purchase will probably be tin warmers.

I don't make tarts, but I do pour leftover wax into ice cube trays that my son "steals" and uses them in a warmer. They smell great. I use C3 wax and P2 wax from genwax and i've tested with 1oz/lb and 1oz/12oz of wax. He's used both and they both smell good.

The Genwax 128 is very hard to the touch. They come in one pound bricks. The 4786 is a bit softer, but still pretty dry to the touch. So no, I don't think its too soft for tarts.

I'm not saying that the Genwax is some kind of miracle wax, just that I think the combo seems to be working.

Ok, I'll do this. I'll mail a sample tart to the first 5 that sign up. I'd rather have the sign up sheet here in this thread because all y'all (that's plural for y'all) seem to be interested, but if I am supposed to do this in the swap, let me know and I'll go there.

Not sure the size I'll send, I have to check postage rates on a 4x9 envelope (has to be under 3.5 oz total). I'll make Fresh Baked Bread scent (also from Genwax) with at least a 15 percent load and more if it takes it. Now we all know that more is not necessarily better, but what the heck, lets have some fun.

In exchange, I want some honest feedback on how well or badly they work for you. Good throw? Long lasting? Easy to use? Easy to clean? Etc.

I was hoping to do what Stella is doing and use the left over for tarts. To some extent, I am doing that, but I want to play more. The truly awful stuff goes into the firestarter bin of course.

I have a tealight warmer. One of these days I'll buy an electric one.

Edited by EricofAZ

Hi Erica,

Just got home from work and saw your post. Not sure if it is too late, but I would love to test one of your tarts, and I can send you a few of mine in return (for honest feedback as well). Please let me know if you still need takers and I can PM you my info. Thanks,