Cold throw help...

Hi guys! I have been using 6006 and loved the cold throw of it but the hot throw was lacking. Therefore, I decided to test a 70/30 4630/464 blend, as well as 70/30 J223/464 blend. The hot throw in both seem to be comparable. However, the cold throw leaves much to be desired. I'm using 10% f.o with both. Playing with pouring temps anywhere from 150 -175. The latest made were poured at 150. I'm wondering if there is something different I could be doing to increase cold throw. I have purchased candles that could be smelled at a short arms distance upon removing cover without having to go in to the container for a "whiff". I'm hoping to be able to achieve the same. My fragrance oils used have been from CS, Lonestar & Just Scents. None of them have given me a great cold throw so I'm assuming it may be my method and/or the wax. Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help.

Thanks Candybee. The first round I tested a week ago had cured for about a week. I did another round of testing yesterday and those have been curing about 24hrs. The cold throw didn't seem to improve much with the one week cure. I am about to play around some more and will increase my pouring temps. Maybe that will help. Thanks again 4 your response Candybee!

Hi guys! I have been using 6006 and loved the cold throw of it but the hot throw was lacking.

I hope 6006 can get a good hot throw because I'm going to start using it next week when my CS & TC FOs arrive. :( & I can't afford to experiment with mixing waxes.

Yesterday, I was reading all the old posts about 6006, & it seems like the ones who thought it had a fantastic hot throw were only using 6% FO (1 oz per lb. of wax) or occasionally going up to 1.25 oz per lb. & they were using the 51 zinc wick in 8 oz jj, or occasionally the 44. Also, they were the only ones not having a problem with soot.

& they were pouring hot, like 180. I was told to pour at 150, & the mfg recommends 160, & I think it's LS that recommends pouring at 180-200. Very confusing.

Hi HorsescentS

6006 cold throw is great, I will miss that. The hot throw for me did not meet my expectations. It was just ok. However, you may feel different and I would love to read about your results. In 6006 I used anywhere from 1-1 1/2 oz f.o. pp. You're right the pouring temps can be confusing but I did find pouring hot was better. I plan to test as many waxes as possible until I find my match. So far, I like the hot throw from 4630 and J223 but the cold throw has me contemplating trying something else. Good luck!

Dreamie,

When do you add your FO and pour on your 4630? I have been messing around with mine and trying different pour temps....between 160 and 170, adding fo at about 175 but had someone say that may be too hot to add fo with this wax. My CT isn't great but it is good after about 3 days cure, hot throw seems to be pretty good with some FO's I have tried but others are making me wonder if I need to try adding and pouring at a different temp.

@mindyw86 :

I have been playing around with the pouring temp. Last week I made a batch and added f.o. 165 & poured @ 150. During my research on the blends I discovered some were doing as Candybee suggested (heating to 185, pour @175) I've since tried and haven't noticed any visible difference pouring hotter but can't wait to test to see if any difference in throw. Is your hot throw not consistent? I've read where some have had to change wicks to get a better throw from certain f.o. Good luck testing!

Just curious, why do you need to add soy? I get a rocking CT and HT with both 4630 and J50. I use 6% or 1oz to 1lb of wax, pretty standard. Oh, and I don't bother to cure my candles either although I hear it is needed with soy.

It is the oils that make the difference for me. I use Peaks, Candlescience, and Lonestar oils. If my throw is so-so, I drop that oil. Also, keep in mind that air conditioning will really mess up the throw, and may push it into a different corner or room than you expect to find your scent in. Don't know if heating systems do the same or not.

Hi HorsescentS

6006 cold throw is great, I will miss that. The hot throw for me did not meet my expectations. It was just ok. However, you may feel different and I would love to read about your results. In 6006 I used anywhere from 1-1 1/2 oz f.o. pp. You're right the pouring temps can be confusing but I did find pouring hot was better. I plan to test as many waxes as possible until I find my match. So far, I like the hot throw from 4630 and J223 but the cold throw has me contemplating trying something else. Good luck!

Thanks! I think IGI 4627 is said to have the strongest hot & cold throw of all. If I'm not satisfied with 6006, I'm going to try it. http://igiwax.com/industries-applications/candle-blends/

@Horsescents - I've heard the same & was thinking of trying it out as well but keep chickening out when reading the Horror stories of 4627 - lol. I think I could be satisfied with the 4630 if I could just increase the cold throw.

@Coconut - I add soy to reduce sooting, it also alows me to satisfy the many people who will stradle the fence regarding the paraffin/soy debate. Can I ask what temp. are you pouring? Assuming this may have something to do with my faint cold throw.

Thanks!

Try 85% 6006 with 15% soy and heat to 190 and pour at 185 or 180 into cool jars that have been washed and let cool on the counter and don't cover. You should get great ct/ht from this combination. Search posts that list great fos with 6006 and you should be satisfied. I liked the cd wick in that formula but that's just me. Sky rocketing prices of raw materials and shipping are going to cut into your bottom line, so look for these waxes locally if possible. HTH

Steve

@Horsescents - I've heard the same & was thinking of trying it out as well but keep chickening out when reading the Horror stories of 4627 - lol. I think I could be satisfied with the 4630 if I could just increase the cold throw.

@Coconut - I add soy to reduce sooting, it also alows me to satisfy the many people who will stradle the fence regarding the paraffin/soy debate. Can I ask what temp. are you pouring? Assuming this may have something to do with my faint cold throw.

Thanks!

I typically pour at about 165, or 175 if I let the wax heat too long. As far as sooting goes, when I have that problem and cannot resolve it, I do a couple of things. Either I reduce the amount of FO, sometimes to 4.75%, or change wicks or wax. 4630 is an oily wax so if you have a heavy oil, it may soot. I also like J50. I'm testing Premier wicks lately and finding very little mushrooms or sooting. I've never used soy, but I suspect this may be contributing to the cold throw problem based on what I have read about soy. Try a test candle and leave out the soy, and you'll know the answer to that question. Of course, that creates a new problem for you! Good luck, hope you figure it out!