looking for insurance

Jorie

I am asking this question as a consumer rather than a seller. Given that the issue of liability seems to be very prevalent on here with regards to selling, how can I be sure that someone has insurance prior to buying something from them? Is this something that you think should be easily found on someone's website/etsy shop? Do you think that a seller would be offended if I asked them if they had it if I can't locate that information easily?

Some business sectors readily will show you they are insured and bonded (e.g. construction contractors, home cleaning companies, etc.), which is the proper thing to do. Also I would want to check these kind of companies if they did work in my house. As far as candle/B&B manufacturers, the insurance is not a matter of public record. You can always ask, and they should tell you. But would you ask Yankee or VS or other large companies for their insurance? So why would you do it for smaller companies? So in answer to your question...No, you can't find out if a company is insured unless they tell you.

Cheers,

Steve

I am asking this question as a consumer rather than a seller. Given that the issue of liability seems to be very prevalent on here with regards to selling, how can I be sure that someone has insurance prior to buying something from them? Is this something that you think should be easily found on someone's website/etsy shop? Do you think that a seller would be offended if I asked them if they had it if I can't locate that information easily?

I'm far from an insurance expert other than having purchased policies for my construction business. Typically, if a private customer wanted proof of insurance, I'd call my agent and ask the agent to send an insurance certificate to them. This would include the types, limits, and dates of coverage. Also, the insurance company was required to notify them if I cancelled or changed coverage during the dates of coverage. When dealing with public agencies, proof of insurance was required as part of the bid package.

I was always happy to provide such documentation and you should be suspicious of anyone who isn't or gets offended if you ask.

Edited by MoonshadowLane

I'm far from an insurance expert other than having purchased policies for my construction business. Typically, if a private customer wanted proof of insurance, I'd call my agent and ask the agent to send an insurance certificate to them. This would include the types, limits, and dates of coverage. Also, the insurance company was required to notify them if I cancelled or changed coverage during the dates of coverage. When dealing with public agencies, proof of insurance was required as part of the bid package.

I was always happy to provide such documentation and you should be suspicious of anyone who isn't or gets offended if you ask.

Commercial policies are very different from general liability policies. Most jurisdictions require contractors to carry insurance by law. In that circumstance you would be required/expected to prove liability insurance/ bonding on workers to obtain a job/bid.

In short there is no way to verify if insurance coverage is in effect for a company or business unless they release the information to you. Privacy laws dictate that that information be kept private. A company can refuse to provide insurance info to a prospective client, though. If a customer were to ask me for my proof of insurance I would become suspicious... like, do they plan of suing me for something?

That seems a little excessive to me, a consumer asking for insurance proof; do they ask all companies they buy from if they carry insurance? Hi kid at the lemonade stand, do you have insurance?!?!? LOL JK

JMO:p

I don't know that I'd be offended, but in today's litigious society I'd be paranoid they were cooking up a lawsuit.

And some sellers have blocked bidders on auction sites and refused to sell to customers on websites for asking that question. Any contractor, you'd better ask...any small retailer, you'd better not. They can refuse service to anyone.:tiptoe:

I don't know that I'd be offended, but in today's litigious society I'd be paranoid they were cooking up a lawsuit.

A lot of folks think that and I hear this a lot. I am certain that your insurance carrier will spot a concocted claim a mile away. The carriers have the fraud detection programs and the databases that show prior attempts. They are more sophisticated at doing this than I am so I'm glad to turn it over to them.

The vast majority of civil injury lawsuits are the result of a real injury that is verifiable and the result of an insurance carrier trying to lowball the claim. Most people don't want to be tied up for 3 years in litigation if they can get their injuries paid for with a settlement.

I wouldn't be afraid to tell someone that I have coverage nor would I be concerned about telling them who the carrier is. If there was a problem reported to me, I'd let the carrier know so they could start their investigation as soon as possible.