lice shampoo

petpamper

I have twin girls....16 yrs old. About two months ago, one twin brought lice into our home for the first time. We did the normal "Nix" stuff and the rest of the routine and all was well. Now the other twin has it. We did the whole routine all over again.

I am thinking the reason they are getting it is because they all have hair down to their rumps and I am betting they are getting it off of the chairs at school...as they haven't been anywhere else to get it. They dont use other kids stuff etc.

Anyway, I did some checking and found a recipie for a shampoo/conditioner that is said to help prevent lice from even wanting to stay on their heads to begin with. Of course we haven't tried it yet, but I thought I would share it with you all. I also have a question about the coconut oil....mine is hard...how do I get it to blend in for the shampoo?

Recipie:

5 t. olive oil

5 t. coconut oil

1 t. lavender oil

1 t. eucalyptus oil

1 t. rosemary oil

1 t. tee tree oil

1 t. peppermint oil

1 t. castor oil (for lather)

8 oz. water

Ok, you put straight oils in your hair and now think it's greasy? Ummm.. Yup, it's going to be. And castor oil for lather? It's making me think that a few ingredients are missing... But in spite of all this...

The best method I've found is to wash their hair with normal shampoo, and while the shampoo is still in, lift up their hair and look at base of their neck, up about 1 inch. They for some weird reason go there when getting their hair washed. Smash them one by one with tweezers. Then, dry their hair out as much as possible, then apply conditioner, do not rinse out. (this makes it easier to comb the hair out. Get every single egg out of their hair. You can do this with tweezers too, just smash them so you don't have to take the egg the length of the hair. (wash again afterwards to get rid of the smashed eggs..lol). Many lice are just not responding to nix treatments, as they have become tolerant and mutated. Repeat this process every day for 2 weeks for each girl. Toss their stuffed animals in trash bags for 2 weeks, and throw their sheets in the dryer for 30 minutes every day for those 2 weeks also. I know it's a total PITA, but unless you get rid of every egg and every nit, you won't get rid of the infestation.

Lice are not transferred from chairs, they are transferred from humans. Unless there was someone sitting there a few seconds before the girls sat down, it's highly unlikely. Sharing brushes, hats, even leaning on another girl with lice allows time for those little critters to infect a new kid. When my girls go to daycare or other places with lots of kids, they get their hair braided...

Ok, my fingers hurt, and best of luck to you!

Forgot to add, if the Nix treatment did kill all the lice, use it again on both girls, and follow the other directions too. Then use it again in 9 days, or the first treatment was a waste of time, cause it only kills the nits, and not the eggs. Ok, the breakdown... Treat once, kill nits. New eggs will hatch, if you get them when they are 9 days old, they cannot lay new eggs. End of cycle if you've treated everything else...

I know.. These are horrible!!!!

Thanks Bunny, yep we did all that you suggested. When the first girl got it a few months ago...we got it all gone. This is a new case.

When I say I think they got it off of a chair...I am guessing the school chairs. Most girls have the long hair and I am thinking since there is only five minutes between classes....its possible if the student before had it that they got it that way. I don't know. My kids haven't gone anywhere and done anything else where they could have picked it up.

Yeah, something is definitely missing from the recipie...but I have read several times that lice don't like those essential oils and will not stay when they are present....so maybe ill try to mix it in with their conditioner.

Thanks for the help!!!

Coat rooms are also a great place to pick up lice. If your girls have any stuffed animals, they can get them from them too. Take the stuffed animals and any fabric items and put them in a large hefty bags. Tie them up and leave them outside in your garage for a time to allow them to die. They can only live for so long without a "host." Also, those little buggers can actually jump from person to person if standing close enough. Believe it or not, it is actually easier to get lice the cleaner your hair is - the oiler your hair the harder it is for them to adhere to each hair shaft Several years back my girls got it from school too. What a PITA it was to get rid of!! Thank goodness the rest of the family didn't get it but I was freaked for weeks. I tore this house up cleaning and disinfecting. To this day, I have not brought their stuffed toys back into this house. And if I see any kid scratching ther head..... I really do feel for you.

Oh don't you just hate the lice thing!! When my daughter was younger I spent a small fortune on stuff trying to get rid of the nasty things. I found a shampoo and conditioner at the health food store that you could use everyday unlike the "Rid" and "Nix"and other shampoos that are full of pesticides that you have to wait 10 days between treatments. Now they don't carry it and you have to order online. Fortunately I found my old bottle and looked at the ingredients. I use a shampoo base and conditioner and add tea tree, peppermint, lavender, and eucalyptus essential oils. It works great and as a plus it leaves your hair shiny and you can shampoo eveyday so as the eggs hatch it kills the little buggers.

Yes, those ingredients are what I have found researching. I decided to take the mixture and poured a couple of teaspoons of it into my girls shampoos. It is working great. We have to shake it up.....but we are getting a 2 in 1 effect and the girls love it and if it helps repell the boogers...I am thankful!

I thought we were past this...I thought it was only little kids who got it. My kids never had it when they were little, but now that they are teenagers .... now that they are Sophmores.....GRRRRRRR....I would have never thought we would be dealing with this when they were older.

Thanks everyone, for your input and suggestions. Really appreciated.

I have also been looking up making a shampoo bar out of it. That may be the way to go.

Yes, those ingredients are what I have found researching. I decided to take the mixture and poured a couple of teaspoons of it into my girls shampoos. It is working great. We have to shake it up.....but we are getting a 2 in 1 effect and the girls love it and if it helps repell the boogers...I am thankful!

I thought we were past this...I thought it was only little kids who got it. My kids never had it when they were little, but now that they are teenagers .... now that they are Sophmores.....GRRRRRRR....I would have never thought we would be dealing with this when they were older.

Thanks everyone, for your input and suggestions. Really appreciated.

I have also been looking up making a shampoo bar out of it. That may be the way to go.

Head and shoulders shampoo also does it.. I used this with my sister before.. Worked wonders..

oh, i never thought of that one! I forgot the little kids ride the same bus as the high schoolers! Ok. Thanks. Ill give them that warning.

So far so good. I think we got them all and I mixed my concoction with their shampoo and i am hoping we never see this again!:wink2:

My daughter was a lice magnet. If anyone had them around her she was bound to get it too. I started out using the nix and realized I was putting pesticides on her head, alot, and it didn't work very well either.

I have an aromatherapy book that suggests using mayonaise and some of the essential oils you suggested. You mix up the concoction comb it through the hair real well, put a shower cap or plastic shopping bag on and sleep with it on. When you get up you shampoo your hair. And they should be all gone. I've heard the oil smothers them.

Of course you have to treat the rest of your house too.

I have also heard pine tar shampoo kills them. When my daughter was really little I used to have her leave the pine tar shampoo on for a few minutes each shower just to make sure nothing was making its home in her hair. As soon as we started natural treatments we didn't have nearly the amount of problems.

• 3 months later...

Tea Tree oil is a natural lice killer. You can add it to your already using shampoo. Or mix it with your cream rinse. Its also a great acne med. Worked in the school system for 10 yrs. Saw lice all through the years. My daughter got it in 8th grade. The older the girls get the more they comb their hair. AND they share. My house was never more clean. But my hot water bill was out of this world.

Tea Tree oil is a natural lice killer. You can add it to your already using shampoo. Or mix it with your cream rinse. Its also a great acne med. Worked in the school system for 10 yrs. Saw lice all through the years. My daughter got it in 8th grade. The older the girls get the more they comb their hair. AND they share. My house was never more clean. But my hot water bill was out of this world.

ahh....don't you just love the benefits of working in schools? lol as much as I loved teaching, I have to say I don't miss that. never had lice in my entire life until started teaching.

tea tree oil is great for preventing lice too...combine that and some lavender EO in a mist spray and spritz your hair in the morning--and supposedly it will prevent you from getting lice (the fragrance/oils make your hair "yucky" to lice..lol) I can't say whether it definately works or not, but after I found this out I never caught lice from a student again and had the best smelling hair in the school :wink2: