Gov. bans bath salts in Virginia

Candybee

Today the Gov. of Virginia put a ban on bath salts. Here is an article from todays The Winchester Star:

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2011/03/gov-signs-synthetic-drug-ban.php

From the Northern VA Daily:

"Virginia outlaws synthetic marijuana, bath salts"

Richmond - Synthetic marijuana and bath salts that have been used to get a legal high now will land users in jail. Gov. Bob McDonnell signed two bills outlawing the synthetic drugs on Wednesday. The ban takes effect immediately.

Synthetic marijuana blends, commmonly sold as "Spice" and "K2" are labeled as incense or potpourri. The chemicals are sprayed onto herbs and spices and sold for at least $10 per gram.

The bath salts, sold under names like "Ivory Wave" and "Cloud Nine", are snorted, smoked or injected and mimic the effects of cocaine, ecstasy and LSD. Both have been suspected for overdose deaths and sicknesses nationwide.

Possession is a misdeameanor, but distributing the durgs would be a felony and manufacturing them would be punishable by up to 30 years in prison.

END

-------------

Its unclear if the new law makes selling all bath salts illegal but surely those dusted, sprayed or containing the said drugs are. In any event it amounts to the same thing sales wise. I can see customers now: "she's selling drugs!!!" "are those bath salts legal?":(

Don't get me started on this puritanical bullshit!!! No studies have been done to back up any kind of ban, it is simply "if it makes you feel good it must be bad". I'm sure there are side effects, but to ban anything without any serious studies is something that would float in Nazi Germany, the old USSR or the middle east, should NOT happen in the US. I love my country and it's people, but I despise my government. This crap just gets my blood boiling. Don't even want to know what I think about our involvment in Libya. If I could resign from the military in protest, I would. Rant over...

Cheers,

Steve

Those of you in VA should be finding out if it's all types of bath salts or raising a fuss over this. Seriously! The rest of us should be getting with out legislatures and finding out what's in store in our states pronto!! It seems they have over-classified or misclassified here and we're all going to pay for it in the end. Damn dope heads.

The Winch Star article gives some clarity by saying the ban applies only to salts containing the synthesized drugs. The Northern Virginia Daily doesn't make it clear thus creating public confusion and concerns by using only the term 'bath salts'.

I'm sure the ban only applies to the drugs being used in whatever medium which just happens to be bath salts. But by the media posting an article generalizing 'bath salts' and not 'bath salts containing synthetic drugs' will confuse the general public. This is my point. It's enough to ruin the bath salt industry or at least put a huge damper on sales for now.

Edited by Candybee

Then there needs to be something sent to the media so that they get the facts correct, because being part of that profession, there's nothing more irritating than for the facts to be wrong and in the hands of the public. I have the same beef when it comes to advertising and marketing. I hate bended truths and left out facts.

Don't get me started on this puritanical bullshit!!! No studies have been done to back up any kind of ban, it is simply "if it makes you feel good it must be bad"

Steve, this IS bad sh*t - ask the parents of the dead kids and ones still in the nuthouse from it! This isn't pot - this is something very different and far more dangerous. It doesn't take any studies to see how it affects kids - all you have to do is work at a store where those mega-impaired stoners stagger in incoherent and completely out of it, or at the morgue, where some end up. I'm glad to see the government acting in a timely manner on this particular substance. Hopefully, it'll prevent a lot of misery. Our state actually did something smart (for a change) and banned its sale a couple of months ago after we all started reading about local kids who died from it, caused the deaths of others while on it, became dangerously psychotic after taking it, etc. Google "bath salts"... unfortunately too many of the first page hits are NOT about the legitimate products many people enjoy in their bathtubs!

This crap is sold as "bath salts" at convenience stores, head shops, etc. to make it sound innocuous. It has NOTHING to do with real bath salts nor is it on the product list at legitimate bath & beauty shops!

It IS a shame that the name is confusing, but that's the fault of the a**holes who manufacture and sell this crap. People who make legitimate bath products will have to take the extra step of differentiating their products from the bad stuff.

IMHO, our kids don't need something else to "makes you feel good" - they need to learn how to feel good within themselves without chemical assistance.

Our area banned them as well. However the ban is on the synthetic drug with the nickname "bath salts", not anything we make. I hope none of us are drug chemists anyway...lol.

Until this blows over I will probably do a name change to "bath crystals" or "salt soak", so the uninformed public doesn't get confused and think I'm pushing drugs.

Edited by Faerywren

This stuff is seriously dangerous!!! People are slitting their own throats on this crap, carving themselves up and shooting themselves. Ive read that it is so addictive that even if they harm themselves they still crave it.

It is called "bath salts" but doesnt contain any "salts" but they also label it as plant food, etc.... im pretty sure it is labeled under all kinds of things that dont seem harmful at the moment. It is pure cooked up drugs.

If you make bath salts, I would definitely for now change the name as to not have anyone confused on what youre selling. Make sure you label all ingredients. From what ive seen it looks nothing like bath salts, it looks like a fine powder substance.

Very scary, but i dont think any gov is going to be able to stop it, its already out of control, and the name will get changed over and over again.

Steve, this IS bad sh*t - ask the parents of the dead kids and ones still in the nuthouse from it! ...

This crap is sold as "bath salts" at convenience stores, head shops, etc. to make it sound innocuous. It has NOTHING to do with real bath salts nor is it on the product list at legitimate bath & beauty shops!

Exactly.

There is no doubt this stuff IS bad. It does NOT fall into the "it is simply if it makes you feel good it must be bad" category. Kids have died.

And yes, the ban is on the drug - not on real bath salts.

Edited by CareBear

Yeah, its bad stuff- they banned it in many cities here in Utah months ago. You could only buy it from tobacco stores to begin with, and had to be 18+, to me that says something.

It does irritate me they continue to call it "bath salts" it has jack shit to do with bath salts beside the name on the package meant to throw people off.

• 1 month later...

My city just banned Incense last month. Not the kind everyone has in stores but the stuff that is merchandised as incense but is just a drug. Local TV had it running at the bottom of the screen " Hannibal bans Incense" freaked out lots of people and gave my incense a darker view in the general publics eyes. Bruce

Wanna talk about what dangerous???? My neighbor's son is currently on life support - he was found on the side of the road passed out. He had aspirated (vomit in the lungs) Blood tests showed some alcohol and vicodin......he had a RX for the vicodin and the alcohol is legal last time I checked.

You cannot control every substance that's out there - people are responsible for their own actions - even teenagers.

My city just banned Incense last month. Not the kind everyone has in stores but the stuff that is merchandised as incense but is just a drug. Local TV had it running at the bottom of the screen " Hannibal bans Incense" freaked out lots of people and gave my incense a darker view in the general publics eyes. Bruce

I must be behind on this one. What the heck kind of drug is called incense? So are you changing the name of your sticks now then?

I think "Incense" and "Potpourri" are supposed to be marijuana substitutes. The active ingredient is K2 which does not show up on drug tests.

I feel sure the people who manufacture and market this crap do so to deliberately confuse older people who are clueless about these products and their use. None of these products has any relation nor resemblance to the products WE know as potpourri, incense and bath salts.

Here's some links I found if any of y'all want to read about it...

http://www.hutchnews.com/News/Synthetic-marijuana-products-from-Salina--2

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150048

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/nov/04/new-legal-drug-has-law-enforcement-concerned-and-i/

http://www.ksn.com/mostpopular/story/Salina-officials-raid-store-that-sells-potpourri/nGB77MRpX0iBvaJqRPGpfA.cspx

http://www.athensnews.com/ohio/article-31703-scoring-a-nickel-bag-ofhellip-potpourri.html

http://hubpages.com/hub/Is-It-the-New-Legal-Marijuana-or-just-Pot-pourri

Edited by Stella1952

• 3 months later...