Tapped into a new resource

Not sure where to post this but it's business related. A while back I went to a local spa to relax and get a pedi...the relaxing mood changed the moment a dozen or so little girls invaded the salon for a spa themed birthday party. since my business was still closed I didn't think much of it...now that I'm reopening I remembered the spa party so I sent a basket of freebies over to the salon & they told me they host about 6 parties per week, even over the fall and winter. The kids leave with goodie bags and now my soaps would be included. So, I sent baskets to spas in the Rochester and Buffalo area and got positive responses from many of them. Then I contacted party planners and of course sent them baskets also...I have 3 wedding showers booked, a baby shower, and 2 weddings. Most brides decide to do their own packaging and that's fantastic for me. Orders over 200 soaps get 50 free guest soaps. I also now have 2 wedding mills purchasing soaps from me. I sent tea party themed soaps to a couple of tea rooms and now I find out that children's tea parties are on the rise. I'm still putting my

catalog together so I will actually have a book for potential parties, showers and weddings. With the exception of the local

spa that is including my soaps in their baskets I am a vendor for

the other businesses. I will still dip my toes into eBay just a bit, as well as etsy but I think wholesale is the direction where I should aim my business. I probably sent over $100.00+ wholesale on my freebies. But the payoff was well worth it. I have 3 moms who are not able to work a full time job and pay for daycare so they will job share. I met with a woman who has worked the cat eye shift all of her career so the insomniac in me thinks she will be a great addition. With scheduled events it allows me to put together a work schedule. I believe it's an untapped resource that might work in all of your areas.

Your post is right on time. I just finished putting together my spa line candles and was wondering how to market them to spas. This is a good idea.

Congrats on the new accounts! Way to go!!!:yay:

Seriously....I always watched the shows where people threw outrageous parties for their kids and saw TLC was doing a show on the subject a couple of months ago...then I remembered the little girls at the spa and thought "couldn't hurt". That led to party planners...I know people get tired of me saying it but do not deny the power of freebies. It may have cost me some out of pocket expenses, I did full size everything...for the party planner I did theme baskets for samples baby showers, just kiddie themed stuff, baby magic scented soaps, candles, scrunchies, block & bootie shaped soaps, with Easter coming I did baskets that were elaborate but made sure that planners explained that the baskets could go from simple and cute to really glitzy..made an ala carte style menu. Spend $ to make $....I'm working on a dog lovers basket...people will spend $ on kids and pets, even in this economy. The tea parties was just a natural progression because I make soap sugar cubes for some tea rooms outside of my local area. While I'm getting catalog photos together I really just need to make sure this is what I want to do, I've been pretty much out of business for the last 2 years, tomorrow is the second anniversary...a lot will depend on how I feel Wednesday, I need to make sure my heart is in this.