Dual Scent Candles

Probably not an original idea but I am playing with container candles with two layers each with a different scent. So far I have tried this with soy but I don't see why it won't work with other waxes. Potential problems are the eventual mixing of the FO over time in an unburned candle. I'd be curious to know if others have tried this and what their experiences were.

I made a few candles for Valentine's Day that were mostly pink sugar and at the top I threaded a heart shaped tart onto the wick that was rose scented.

When burned, the rose scent was initially the fragrance and after a few hours faded and shifted to the pink sugar.

I think I did a few with chocolate raspberry base as well.

The idea is that the candle, like real roses, fades with the rose smell in time and is replaced by a longer lasting box of candy smell.

Big candle companies like Yankee and Old Virginia did this for a while. Even had special names for the scent combos. They sold big on places like QVC and online and then they disappeared. Guess the layered scents are no longer big sellers. Haven't seen them for at least a couple of years or longer.

Yeah, dual scent candles are pretty common and easy to do as long as the scents don't clash. I've seen quite a few of them and even made a handful. As to avoiding the scents conflicting... I'd say just check how the fragrances smell together before you mix them into the wax. Pretty simple, really.

As for what would go specifically with bayberry, a couple months ago I made a dual scented candle with bayberry and (I'm pretty sure) sandalwood. I don't have my scents with me at the moment, though, so you'd want to double check that on your own. And it depends on what your "bayberry" scent is like- not all artificial bayberry scents are the same, or even similar.

I don't do a lot of containers but I do mix a lot of scents in my pillars. I take left over stumps, chunk them up and overpour with a complimentary scent.

Vanilla, Sandalwood, Patchouli are always good to use with many scents. I did one with Orange Blossom chunks overpoured with vanilla. Last weekend I chunked up dragon's blood and a nag champa stumps and overpoured with Blue Sky from AH. I really wanted to burn it myself to experience the combo but a friend made an offer I couldn't refuse...:laugh2:

Pomegranate layered with vanilla makes a terrific candle and a layer of coconut in between fruity scents is nice.

...the possibilities are endless

Edited by Pam W