Pillar Candles

I'm currently burning a 2.5" pillar made with 1274 wax, FO at 3% and wick is C65 from Peaks = perfect burn. If you want to test Peaks cotton cores, maybe C60. Depending on the melt point of HL wax C60 or 65 might get you close to your goal. As for the stearic, you could try a small pillar w/o the stearic and one with to see what the difference is.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Pam, I have a C-50 in there now and the melt pool is too large and is ready to spill over, I will try a C-60. In the mean time, I will look up that wax you are using and compare it to the HL wax. Thanks for the feedback.

if the C50 is close to blowout, then the C60 will be too big. You might have to consider a small FB - I have wicked some 2" with FB 18 - the burn was ok but the melt pool was at it's limit. If you do try FB, remember to twist the wick because FB will curl & cause lopsided burn if you do not twist.

I love the looks of 2" pillars but they are a PITA to wick because of their small size.

You can also go up to 3 tbl......it's been too many years since I used HL wax - my Newbie days are a blur!!

I do have the wax you mentioned and maybe I should cut my losses and give it a try. The C-60 is already in the candle and burning :shocked2: I'll give it a try on the "more consumption is better and cooler" idea. I don't have any FB wicks but I'll Google it and find a source.

I have two 2" molds, a 3" and 6" high, I'd really like to get some use out of them. I'll keep trying.

Thanks

Edited by rjdaines

how'd the new tester with the C60 burn?

It was too much wick and the melt pool got a little out of hand, LOL. I ordered some FB and will try those when they come. Thanks for the help and I will let you know what happens.

Here is the 2" with the 15ply FB. I burned it for 4 hrs yesterday and as you can see, it burned all the way to the edge. Just lit it up for a powerburn. If I had not twisted the wick, it would certainly have overflowed and with the melt pool so close to the edge, it would not be able to withstand any amt of draft. I'm going to pour another and up the stearic at 3tbl.

The HT was great for the size of candle.

Scented: thx for the reminder on the SQ - I do have all sizes

Rj; pm/email me with your address & I stick some 15ply in the mail to you

post-450-139458480125_thumb.jpg

Boy, I'm not liking the Square Braids in these 2" candles. I made two with #3/0 & #4/0 - the #4/0 blewout within 30minutes; the #3/0 is hanging in there but has way too much curl for my comfort (and I even twisted it) ... and the #4/0 is the smaller wick..scratching head!!

The 15ply FB appears to be the best of the 3 wicks I'm testing but as I mentioned before, it cannot handle the slightest draft whatsoever!!

THey might be better for the 3" size. What about a 5/0? It's the smallest wick in that series. Even though it's recommended for 1" diameter candles. It might be another no no. Candlewic's got a 12 flat braid.

But you aren't scenting either are you?

Edited by Scented

The 5/0 is the one I don't have...figures, huh?!! I saw the 12ply at Candlewic so will probably order some..but then of course I can't place an order for just wicks. :grin2:

Did you order the 12 ply? If not, I may but I haven't ordered anything for Candlewic before. My candle is not looking good with the 15 ply, it should spill any time now. However, I did learn about the twisting so that is a good thing.

Haven't ordered the wicks yet -- had to buy some new tires instead...grrrrrrrr!!

What I'm doing with these 3 testers is burning them for few minutes at a time causing them to tunnel a bit so they don't blow out as fast. I'm determined to burn these babies and enjoy the aroma at least for a little while but I did set them in hurricanes. .. then I'll make some more when I do get some 12ply.

The honeycomb is doing well. 6oz oval hex w/Eco 6. Also just lit a Berries & Twigs in the same type of jar..so between these and the 2" (nag champa & Lav) can you imagine what my house smells like..:rolleyes2

On the 3 inch pillars, I use 4625 with no additives. 9 percent FO load and dye. The wick is a cotton core. 44-32-18 C

post-12389-139458480302_thumb.jpg

RJ, I have a ton of wicks, mostly because I buy in spools. The cotton ones that I mentioned are pretabbed and I have several hundred. I'd be glad to mail a few for testing if you want to try some different sizes. I have a small amount of 5/0 square as well.

On the 3 inch pillars, I use 4625 with no additives. 9 percent FO load and dye. The wick is a cotton core. 44-32-18 C

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21782[/ATTACH]

RJ, I have a ton of wicks, mostly because I buy in spools. The cotton ones that I mentioned are pretabbed and I have several hundred. I'd be glad to mail a few for testing if you want to try some different sizes. I have a small amount of 5/0 square as well.

Thanks for the offer Eric but I'd have no idea what to ask for as I don't understand the naming system of those wicks. Is there a web site you could point me to to get a better understanding of them, any one sell a sample pack? Great looking candles by the way. I really need to melt some of the 4625 I have but I've been so stubborn about getting the HL wax to work. Oh well, soon it will be gone, just 10 more pounds to use up.

RJ,

I see you and PamW are both in Arizona. Pam is in Phoenix, I'm in Tucson. I'd be glad to send you a 3" diameter pillar or two for you to burn and see how they work and some wicks. I'm sure Pam will help as well. Most of my stuff is paraffin, but I did build a few palm pillars. The palm is the hardest. I don't have notes on the palm because they were built last year and I lost all my notes after that. (new system is secure) I think I'm using #3 or #4 square braid in my palm pillars. 3" x 4" = one pound.

RJ,

I see you and PamW are both in Arizona. Pam is in Phoenix, I'm in Tucson. I'd be glad to send you a 3" diameter pillar or two for you to burn and see how they work and some wicks. I'm sure Pam will help as well. Most of my stuff is paraffin, but I did build a few palm pillars. The palm is the hardest. I don't have notes on the palm because they were built last year and I lost all my notes after that. (new system is secure) I think I'm using #3 or #4 square braid in my palm pillars. 3" x 4" = one pound.

I am in Florence so about half way between both of you. Thank you for your generous offer and I may take you up on it but for now I will plug along a little bit longer. I have the wax and just need to pour more candles; I learn a little more with each one. You and Pam have helped so much already, I will get some of the cotton core, flat and square braid wicks and plug ahead.

Edited by rjdaines

• 1 year later...
RJ,

Hi Eric!! You make beautiful pillars!! Do you wick them to have a shell or to self consume with "a little" help? :) I make paraffin pillars and wick them to self consume with "hugging" :)

I might be weird but I love IGI1343 for pillars. They marble the best for me. I agree, A pillar should maintain some decentcy (is that a word) to it's form as it burns down. My mom likes to peel or poke off the wax as the candle burns and it drove me nuts! *faint* You shouldn't have to do that.