I HATE my votive molds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use Cb pb and my molds came from lonestar along with the wick pins. I never sold votives and I'm thinking about not EVER selling votives but I am trying to make them for my home party coming up to give as gifts.

1. My mold almost ALWAYS leave wax residue behind (I do use mold release)

2. Sometimes my votives crack in the process of trying to take the wick pin out.

2. My wick pins almost always seem crooked

3. It's nearly impossible to get those wicks pins out! Mold release does nothing. The freezer makes the votive easier to crack.

4. I already sliced my finger on these votive molds and I conclude

I HATE my votive molds!!!

Anyone have any tips on how to work with these things???:confused: Thanks.

I don't use your wax...I use my own blend of paraffin and soy. But...

I don't spray my molds WHEN I use them. Most of the time they pop right out...once in a while I have to put them in the fridge for about 15 minutes. As far as the wick pins. I turn them upside down and tap the wick pin a few times on a wooden cutting board. It always releases from the votive. If it's tight instead of trying to pull it out I twist it a few times. I pour in my shop but I don't have a fridge in there so I have to unmold them in my kitchen. That's why I tap the pin on a wooden cutting board...don't want to scratch my almost new counter tops.

And...the really easy way to pour votives is to use paper dixie cups. You DO have to work a little at centering the wick pins since the cups I use are wider than my metal molds. Once the votives are cool you can tear the paper off of them.

Edited by Maggie
typos

Awesome idea!! Thanks!! Maybe it is the wax. It always forms around and underneath the wick pin. So bad to where I have to stick it on my warmer to melt it a little then get the pin out by tapping it with a hammer (which may be why they are sometimes crooked). Going to get those dixies tomorrow!

I use the same wax and i think the same molds since I've sliced my finger on them a few times. Regarding the release, I don't have any issues getting the out and I use mold release too. So why do mine come out and your don't? Can't say for sure, I pour hot (160) and clean the molds with Goo Gone.

I use the same wax and i think the same molds since I've sliced my finger on them a few times. Regarding the release, I don't have any issues getting the out and I use mold release too. So why do mine come out and your don't? Can't say for sure, I pour hot (160) and clean the molds with Goo Gone.

Ok.. I pour at 135-140. Maybe that's it? And goo gone.. yeah I need to get some since my wax likes to stick around in the molds. I need to try the dixie way too though. Thank you!!

This post could have been written by me when I started pouring. Votives have always been a best seller for me, but I would never pour another one if I had to use the metal molds. Absolutely hate them, especially w/ soy. I've poured Dixie Cup votives for the last 8 yrs & love them. Since you're using soy, you should be pouring at a low enough temp that you won't have any problems. But ... if you ever decide to try a high temp pour wax it's a problem.

Susan.

We also use Ecosoya Pillar Blend 100% - we use votive cups from CS & CMS - we use wick pins from CS - the wick pins from CMS SUCKOLA! They are nails punch into some tin crap. But I interchange their votive molds with CS wick pins with no problem. We don't use mold release either. We do take a hammer to tap the wick pins when we demold. HTH. BUT I have never heard of the dixie cup revolution so I'm out tomorrow to buy those bad boys UP!

:yay:

I use metal votive molds & wickpins with Ecosoya PB. I demold the candles when they are still slightly warm - seems to work better for me than waiting until they are completely cool or chilled in the fridge. If the votive is slightly stubborn, I use a pair of pliers to grip the wickpin and pull the candle out of the mold. I hold the votive mold with a towel to protect from accidentally slicing myself. To remove the candle from the wickpin, I turn it upside down and tap the wickpin onto the countertop while gripping the candle securely. The votive usually pops loose immediately.

I seldom have problems with PB stickng to the molds or the wickpins. I don't use mold release at all. I never wash my metal molds. If they have any residue or buildup, I put them upside down into a baking pan in the oven, heated to a little under 200°F. When the wax has become liquid & run out of the mold (only takes a few moments), I remove it and wipe it out with a bunch of newspaper or paper toweling. I am careful to be SURE the edges are padded well (those rims ARE wicked!). This way, the surface of the metal stays "primed" or "seasoned" and doesn't stick. HTH :)

I never wash my metal molds. If they have any residue or buildup, I put them upside down into a baking pan in the oven, heated to a little under 200°F. When the wax has become liquid & run out of the mold (only takes a few moments), I remove it and wipe it out with a bunch of newspaper or paper toweling. I am careful to be SURE the edges are padded well (those rims ARE wicked!). This way, the surface of the metal stays "primed" or "seasoned" and doesn't stick. HTH :)

Great tip! Thanks!! And yes those rims ARE wicked lol...

I used to put my molds in the toaster oven and get them all nice and toasty and clean them out with a wipe. My favorite wax was the IGi V wax. Try putting a little coconut oil in your wax (about 1 tsp pp) and see if that helps. Oh yeah, I used to wear those gloves with the rubber fingertips to prevent cutting and get a good grip on hot molds. I don't offer votives anymore (couldn't sell em).

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

i also HATE wick pins. I make votives but don't own wick pins any more :yay: What i do is to pour my wax into the mold - after it sets up slightly I put my votive wick into the wax and just keep adjusting it so its straight then i do my repour when its time.

Easy peasy and no wick pins :yay:

A votive is like a minature pillar candle. While it might be held in a votive holder, it still operates best when the wax is contained within the structure of the votive. The wick pin insures that the wick is dead center of the structure and is also anchored on the bottom via the wick assembly. People used to pour the whole votive and then use a skewer to poke a hole in the middle and then thread the wick. You got off center candles, cracked candles, well you get the picture. Wick pins are just not that complicated and they give you good results once you get used to making them. Its cheaper than buying the clam shell type assemblies and besides, you can wear your cut fingers like a badge of honor.

Steve

The wick pin insures that the wick is dead center of the structure and is also anchored on the bottom via the wick assembly.
Well, not exactly. I use wick pins (I check the tops to insure they are straight and not off-center) and wick assemblies, but since molded votives are not affixed to the bottom of a container but are intended to be burned in a close-fitting container, there is opportunity for the wick assembly to wander at the liquid end of the candle. There are sustainer bases out there which span the entire bottom of a votive and prevent the wick from "wandering," but none prevent the wick from continuing to fuel itself from underneath the base when the candle has completely liquified. The only thing that solves that problem is sealing the nd of the wick to prevent it from sucking the liquid wax and that's simply too labor intensive for such a small, low-cost item. I am not aware of a perfect solution for this.
silicone molds with wick pins, costly but worth it!

The cost doesn't deter me, but I don't like the surface from silicon molds as much as I do metal, glass or plastic... I go for a shiny, hard, perfect surface and silicon leaves more of a flat, unshined surface to the waxes I use (EcoSoya PB & pillar palm wax). Might be different with paraffin...

Edited by Stella1952

Come summer I can do that oven trick out in my garage, I'm sure it gets near that hot out here in AZ and no electricity used.

Even this time of year, you can set them out in the sunshine..it's 86* right now and its sundown!!!

Edited by Pam W