Stainless Steel Presto pot?

Interesting...I have 4 Teflon prestos (3 with spigot installed) and have never had a problem. I've had them for probably 6 years now. But I have read of people having the Teflon flake off and get in their wax. Stainless would certainly eliminate that, but I don't know if it would justify the cost.

Interesting...I have 4 Teflon prestos (3 with spigot installed) and have never had a problem. I've had them for probably 6 years now. But I have read of people having the Teflon flake off and get in their wax. Stainless would certainly eliminate that, but I don't know if it would justify the cost.

I have teflon 2 of them and I love them. No problems.

Have you ever wondered if the one dollar bills in your wallet were ever in a stripper's butt crack?

If not, you're wondering now. Have a nice day ..:laugh2:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:Georgia your crackin me up.

Edited by soy327

I had one (Teflon Coated) that was altered w/a spigot, I bought it used on eBay. Not sure how long the first owner used it, I got about 4-5 years out of it before the Teflon flaking became an issue. Bought another one on a Black Friday Sale, didn't bother to alter it, I figure if I get even another 4-5 years out of it for the $20 I paid, I won't be upset.

I bought a teflon one new on ebay for $49 with the spout. I hardly use the spout, it clogs up and unless I overheat the wax, it doesn't want to free up. I end up scooping out with a ladel or just pouring it out so next time I won't get the spout. Besides, the spout is angled funny and that tends to be messy.

Stainless should last a very long time, but its hard to beat the $20 that some pay for these things.

PS: Soy, did you ever wonder who folded that dollar and stuck it in a stripper's butt crack? I bet you're thinking about it now.

Edited by EricofAZ

Thanks all for your replies. The one on Ebay is about $60 or more shipped. Then there's a teflon one at Walmart for $25. The stainless steel one at walmart is $60. I was just wondering which one is the best for my money.

I got mine from Aztek for 49 new. It's already altered with the spout and I've never had it clog up when just melting wax and running through the spout. The only time it's ever clogged is when I've used them for dipping bears in. The only reason that was is b/c there's a little wax left in the pot once I squeeze out the excess from the bear. And all I had to do was use a wooden skewer and push it through the hole while running hot water then wash and dry. I have a couple of the ones without the spout and they are a pain in the you know what for me anyway. Whether I pick it up and pour it out or use a ladel it's more time consuming and messier imo.

I would buy the stainless steel. I bought mine and installed the spout myself. I took a micro screen and shaped it around the spout on the inside of the pot to strain out particles and it never clogs. It is much easier for me to fill my pour pot and not waste wax (cause I'm pretty clumsy). The teflon flakes off and periodically manages to get throught the micro mesh screen and it drives me nuts. I only use mine now to keep my palm oil for soapmaking and use a surf and turk. God help me when it bites the dust. Ebay here I come. HTH.

Steve

I'm on my 2nd teflon one w/spigot and I've never had teflon bits in my wax. I got it from Heartfelt. I've had it years and years, no problem.

The spigot clogged once when I was using really high mp cut and curl wax. Other than that, no problems at all.

Wouldn't trade a Presto w/spigot for all the tea in China. I'd stop making candles before I used a ladle.

I stain my wax

:embarasse Sorry 'bout that typo - meant to type STRAIN...

The poor quality teflon coating doesn't bother me much considering the low cost of the Prestos I purchased - I strain the wax when I ladle it into the pour pot and as I pour it into the containers anyway.

Let me say its not a debris issue. I used the pot for palm which has a high MP. Lower MP waxes won't clear the solidified palm.

I guess if I had a presto dedicated to each MP, it would be fine, but I don't heat 6006 as high as I heat Feather Palm.

Oh, I have to say also that I am a low volume guy. I use the presto for 5 ounces every now and then, barely covers the opening for the spigot. If I add a couple pounds or more and stir slowly, it will heat up the spigot and release the wax and let it pour, though at funny angles.

Edited by EricofAZ

My Prestos (yep - the real thing) are workhorses. I have made 7-9 pound batches in them for years. I do stir a lot (wooden spoon and silicon whisk) and I am reasonably sure this is what causes the flaking on the interior. I also use the lid a lot which dislodges the teflon from the top edges. I don't use dyes or FOs in the Presto - only soy & palm waxes. I seldom leave wax in the bottom after pouring a batch. The teflon coating on the Presto I use for cooking (purchased at the same time as the ones I use for melting wax) is in pitiful shape. That one sees higher temps than any of my wax melting Prestos and is washed after each use. I don't stir with any metal tools. Prestos are a very cheaply made appliance. I'm glad they offer a higher quality one now even if it's more expensive than the original style.

This is not a new issue...

Here's a couple of links to previous discussions about the little black specks I found (by using the Google site search method)...

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58216

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57473

I used the pot for palm which has a high MP. Lower MP waxes won't clear the solidified palm
I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to... I have no problems with "clearing" palm wax from the surface of the Presto. I simply heat it to the melt point of the palm wax and wipe with a paper towel when the surface heats up.

I've noticed that professional melters are not teflon coated, so I think it's unnecessary for wax melters to have a non-stick coating of any kind.