My first layered soap experience

ebcandles

OMG, im sooo excited right now I could scream :eek: But im not cuz the kids are sleeping and so is hubby. Its sooo peaceful here. Maybe that is why I've been able to master the layered technique.

I wanted to make a Vanilla soap that wasnt dark brown throughout. So, I decided I was going to make it layered. Dark brown on bottom, no color on top. Since I use EVOO, its going to be an off-white color anyway.

So, I poured my lye into my oils and mixed away with the SB. Removed half of the mixture and added my 1oz Vanilla Voodoo from CC. Turned the SB to high and began to mix away. Sheesh, this sucker turned into a thick trace really fast :mad:

I immediately poured into my martha mold - thank goodness I had greased it ahead of time :D

So i took the uncolored, unfragranced portion and set it aside for about 10 min coming back every 2 min to make sure it was not thickening up on me. After about 10 min, it was starting to get thick so I poured it on top of the other layer already in the mold.

I added some cosmetic grade glitter to the top to make it look even prettier. I hope it turns out nice. I cant wait to see it after the vanilla portion turns dark brown.

I often don't scent a discoloring FO and only color part of it. Gives a little more flexibility with the soap design. Like the Pink Sugar. How can ya do PS and have it be brown? Customers don't get that - they want PINK!! So ya got to get creative ;)

Sure Carmen - I think and talk fast, sorry if that didn't make sense. I should have had the word "batch" in there or something. ;)

I mean, I do like you did. Say I'm making Pink Sugar, I might scent 2/3 of it, but keep that other 1/3 out (because PS discolors). Then I'll color that non-scented soap pink and put that as a layer in the middle. Just so it doesn't all turn brown and I can put a splash of pink in it.

Or w/vanilla, do a blind swirl with that 1/3 of unscented so the rest turns brown but the unscented part stays white.

Right now I have a batch of PS that I'm going to rebatch on purpose so I can put some color in there (some unscented, pink soap shreds).

OK, does that make sense now? :P

Sure Carmen - I think and talk fast, sorry if that didn't make sense. I should have had the word "batch" in there or something. ;)

I mean, I do like you did. Say I'm making Pink Sugar, I might scent 2/3 of it, but keep that other 1/3 out (because PS discolors). Then I'll color that non-scented soap pink and put that as a layer in the middle. Just so it doesn't all turn brown and I can put a splash of pink in it.

Or w/vanilla, do a blind swirl with that 1/3 of unscented so the rest turns brown but the unscented part stays white.

Right now I have a batch of PS that I'm going to rebatch on purpose so I can put some color in there (some unscented, pink soap shreds).

OK, does that make sense now? :P

Ahhhh, I see said the blind woman! :P