Is this normal for soy melts?

The wife says, "Back to the drawing board (more accurately, the "mixing" board)!"

I mixed 75% Ecosoya PB with 25% GW444 and while the tarts turned out looking nice and smelling nice they're not melting the way traditional melts do. On the first melt they do alright but on subsequent melts the center melts but the edges don't. Has this happened to you and should I use 100% PB or do I need to do something else in order to get a complete melt? By the way, there are 5, 1x1 melts in the container.

Hopefully the image isn't too big.

Thank you!

post-12823-139458476778_thumb.jpg

Is this a light bulb warmer? The only thing I can think of is there is too much wax for the warmer to heat up. I get something similiar with some palm wax melts. I use a mixture of PB/444/415 or 135 and have not had this problem.

Cheers,

Steve

Is it doing this with all scents, or is this the first one you have tried? I have used many tarts over the last few months with a 75/25 PB/444 blend in a light bulb warmer and had no issues. The 2-in-1 warmers throw much better, because they get hotter. But the light bulb warmers last a bit longer.

Cheers,

Steve

This is the first one I've tried but have more. Maybe I'll try another batch with the same amount of tarts and see if I get the same results.

I'd like to stay with all soy wax instead of a paraffin/soy blend. Thanks though.

On my next batch I'll try the 50/50 blend.

Was your warmer a 25W one?

Edited by classiccandle

We've had very similar results with 100% pb in a Scentsy pot. I am testing 6 other frags right now but I have never had this problem with Candlewarmers pots or any of the plate warmers. So it's definitely a NOT ENOUGH heat on re-heating issue. I am so glad you posted this cause I was freaking out with the results of mine. We just got a Scentsy pot for testing purposes to make sure internally that they work. We have lots of customers who have Scentsy pots and say they work but we wanted to make sure and it's definitely not hot enough. So we are revising our marketing to say the least... Keep us posted on your results and I'll do the same...

Kelly

Is the room you are using it in cold? I'd stick with the recommended 25 watt bulb. They have a max limit on them for a reason. If they get to hot they will melt the light socket & you can't get the bulb out. Don't ask me how I know this.

Ok Carol, I won't ask....lol. I'll heed your advice and stick with the recommended 25W bulb.

The room isn't cold. It's in our living area and we keep the house between 71° - 73°.

Kelly, are you saying you don't have a problem with the melts except with Scentsy warmers? The warmer is a Scentsy but why would it melt the Yan** tarts ok and not the soy ones? We have a warmer that says Candle Warmers Etc, Inc on it. Is that the same kind you're using? While the bowl is smaller in diameter it's deeper so we're going to try some melts in that one and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

I would check the weight of your tart. Yankee is only .8 of an ounce. Cutting back on the pillar blend would help, maybe 25% PB to 75 % 444 and cut down on the size. My tarts are container wax and if I put a whole one in a Scentsy warmer it will not melt on the sides, they weigh between 1.2 - 1.6 oz.

Thanks Sharon!

I'm sure I'm going to have to changed my blend. I'm going to start with 50/50 but if that doesn't work I'll try your suggestion of 25/75 PB/444.

My wife put 5 of the 6 tarts in the warmer and if my math is correct it was approximately 2.33 ozs., and she said she can put all 6 of the Scentsy tarts in the same warmer with no problem.

I'm assuming Scentsy melts are paraffin (I haven't looked at them) but from the information listed on Lonestar's site almost all of the paraffin waxes have a higher melt point than the 444. So maybe using more of it in my blend will help.

I know years ago when I went to Partylite party's they had votives that would turn to liquid wax in no time. They were paraffin, at least 35 years ago, so nice looking. And with a small wick, no high flame, burned slow and would be liquid for the whole time, yet they were not soft feeling. I'm going to post this on the general board to see if anyone knows what kind of wax that wax.

I have a plug in nite lite scentsy warmer and my melts do the same thing- they will not melt all the way (after 10 hours they will sometimes)- the bulb is 25W

I had a catalog for scentsy awhile back and I think it appeared most of their warmers are light bulb type? and not sure what wattage comes with them

My candlewarmers and levine warmers with light bulbs melt my melts no problem but I use a 40W bulb and I use a blend of PB and 135- I am wondering if they sell all theirs with low wattage bulbs just for that reason- I have heard they claim "only their" melts will work with their warmers and their melts are weird- paraffin but sort of a gooey texture kinda like laffy taffy (maybe not as soft but softer than my soy blend)

I have a plug in nite lite scentsy warmer and my melts do the same thing- they will not melt all the way (after 10 hours they will sometimes)- the bulb is 25W
The night lights have a 15 W bulb.
I had a catalog for scentsy awhile back and I think it appeared most of their warmers are light bulb type? and not sure what wattage comes with them
They are all light bulb type. The large warmers have the 25W bulb, while the mid-size ones have a 20W bulb.
My candlewarmers and levine warmers with light bulbs melt my melts no problem but I use a 40W bulb and I use a blend of PB and 135- I am wondering if they sell all theirs with low wattage bulbs just for that reason- I have heard they claim "only their" melts will work with their warmers and their melts are weird- paraffin but sort of a gooey texture kinda like laffy taffy (maybe not as soft but softer than my soy blend)
The candlewarmers contain a halogen bulb. I haven't seen a levine warmer with a light bulb so don't know if they have an incandescent or halogen. If you are wanting to stay with all soy, I would use only a small % of PB, just enough to keep the soy from sticking to the mold. Edited by IwantItgreen

The night lights have a 15 W bulb.

They are all light bulb type. The large warmers have the 25W bulb, while the mid-size ones have a 20W bulb.

The candlewarmers contain a halogen bulb. I haven't seen a levine warmer with a light bulb so don't know if they have an incandescent or halogen. If you are wanting to stay with all soy, I would use only a small % of PB, just enough to keep the soy from sticking to the mold.

ahhhh- that explains it then- I thought it was a 25W in the plug in- and my larger ones I use a 40W with no problem... that is where they claim no other tarts/melts will work because they won't at that wattage!

The Levine mosaic warmers I just got in are a regular type light bulb and I always use 40W in them no problem and my candlewarmers brand I dont care for the halogen bulb- it doesnt seem to get hot enough for me- I like the scent to throw

Thanks for that- I really thought it was a 25W bulb in this scentsy plug in and I just couldnt figure out why my melts wouldnt melt- I use 25% pb in the melts- anything less gives me major frost issues and they look ugly:tongue2:

I use 25% pb in the melts- anything less gives me major frost issues and they look ugly
Yep, that's why I use a parasoy blend. My tarts melt nicely with the 15W plug-ins, come out of the clamshell perfectly, and I have no frosting :)

ETA: Oh and most people couldn't give hoot whether it contained paraffin or not. They just want 'em to smell good!

Edited by IwantItgreen

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for this delayed response but Yes our 100% eco pillar blend soy tarts will not melt on subsequent warmings in the "low wattage" scentsy pots. But melt fine in the candlewarmers larger wattage bulb warmers and any of the jkl plate warmers. We have made tarts with pure 464 in them and they melt every time in the scentsy pot without a problem.