Need help with Eczema!! Lotion, body butter?

joyofsoycandle

Hey everyone. I have eczema on my ankles that is extremely horrible. My skin there is very leathery and EXTREMELY ITCHY!!! NOTHING and i mean NOTHING i have tried as far as steriodal creams, vaseline, etc, nothing works. I am also really itchy all over my body. Does anyone have any good recipes for a lotion or body butter/cream that is extremely moisturizing and known to help with this kind of thing? Does it exsist? Desperate for help! :embarasse Sorry if i posted in wrong spot.

Edited by joyofsoycandle

I have a son and daughter with eczema I use rose hip oil on them. might cost a bit but clears it up very fast. It also works on my dermatitis. I rarely have to use anything else on them. You only need a few drops a couple of times a day on the affected area.

Tammy

Edited by Tribalvixen

Rose hip seed oil is a very good choice for eczema- my daughter has it and it works for her but another real good choice that is thicker and will give more relief to the itching is Tamanu oil. It can be used neat on the skin and does not feel greasy. I use Rose hip seed oil on my face straight as a day moisturizer and at night I use Tamanu around the eyes and mouth- I have very sensitive skin and always feel itchy from makeup and facial cleansers and the Tamanu gives me total relief AND it has stopped the hard lines under my eyes- the ones that make you look like you have not slept in a year! Very great stuff and I would be surprised if it didnt clear you up in a matter of a days.

A great place to buy this is Mountain Rose Herbs or Snowdrift Farm- their products are pure and reasonable.:cheesy2:

I use straight castor oil when I feel the itch first starting. Some brands of castor oil can be very sticky but I rub it on the area and they wipe off the excess after a few minutes. It stops the itch in it's tracks.

My Dr prescriped a balm (1%triamcinolone Acetonide in a base of mineral oil & petroleum jelly) A 1# tub cost me $45 and that was just my co-pay. The Castor oil works much better and is a whole lot cheaper!!

Also make sure you don't have a latex allergy to your socks if you wear the kind with elastic in the ankles, like white sport socks.

This is what I was thinking.

I have eczema also. I take cool showers a bath with pine tar soap when it is really bothering me and that seems to help.

Any ideas for which treatments are OK to use on eyelids? I'm just getting over the worst bout with eczema I've ever had and it's hard to find things that really help but are safe to use in the eye area. I hate to admit this, but the only thing that helped me with this flare-up (which was so bad my eyes almost swelled shut!) was some leftover prednisone my vet prescribed for one of my cats. I was *THAT* desperate for relief...I thought I would dig my eyes right out of my head, they itched so bad!

You should never self prescribe especially with Prednisone, there are so many different strengths and a strict way of prescribing. You should have seen your doctor and been given a topical course of a steroid cream. Sometimes despite all you do require steroid creams with eczema, I know from experience. I do know what desperation is with this disease in a bad flare up, but please promise next time you will not do this.

I actually had been to my doctor early last week and I'm making another appointment tomorrow because the prescription she gave me the last time (antibiotic eyedrops) is not helping and my eyes are getting worse again. I know people will think OMG, she self-medicated with prednisone for a cat?! I didn't mention that I have been prescribed that before (for something else years ago) and knew it would not have any ill effect on me. I had 5mg tablets, (6 of them) which was lower than the normal dose for an adult human and I only took 10mg a day for 3 days until I ran out.

At no time did I ever want anyone to think I was suggesting someone else should do what I did. I just mentioned it because I was in some significant pain then and was VERY desperate for relief.

I'm still trying out some things people posted about on here as well, like the Eucerin cream. Even if my doctor prescribes steroids in some form again, a lot of the remedies suggested here could still help me feel better faster even with the script. Of course I'll ask my doctor about what I can use along with it too.

I do hear what you are saying, but with all due respect you saying you took 10mg for three days, a dose like that even though only for a short time should have been gradually decreased. 5mg is not a low dose for adults, it does depend on conditon.

I know lots of people self prescribe lots of different things but....

Ok everyone I bought some Eucerin. It says calming itch relief treatment. I put it on my ankles and they are stinging and tingling. Ill keep trying it but I want to dig at them with my nails!!!!! UGH!!! It says it has menthol and oatmeal. Anyway, im trying lol. Local......i did see when i bought this that they have eucerin for the face.......maybe try that on your lids?? Im not sure but if ur careful not to get it in your eyes maybe it might help? Im hoping this Eucerin helps, cause it wasnt cheap, and it just stings right now. :confused: