6006 & Perfect Tops, Adhesion

Ok guys! I did it. I finally, finally did it and REPRODUCED the results. HA! LOL

I know many of you use 6006 and I've been messin' with it for a bit now. I know a lot of the complaints were about the sink holes, having to do a second pour and wet spots. I never had much problem with sink holes, but wet spots most certainly!

Here's what I did:

I did NOT pre heat my jars (mostly cause I was too lazy LOL!). Mind you, I normally DO heat my jars, but this time I didn't. The jars were actually kept in a room that was slighly below room temp, about 65 degrees or so, so they were actually a little cooler than normal.

I preheated my oven to below it's warm setting. So this is about 140-160 degrees. In the oven I put a cast iron dutch oven and let that warm in there.

I heated the wax to about 200, dumped my non-warmed FO & color in there, along with a pinch of UV inhibitor. I stirred a couple minutes and poured it at about 180. Slooooooowwwlllyyyy.

I then stuck it in the oven, and turned the pre heat off (it was on for about 10 minutes). I put it INSIDE the cast iron pot, shut the door, and came back 12 hours later to look at it.

Perfect. Absolutely freakin' perfect!:yay: No weird looking top,no sink holes around the wick and most certainly no second pour required. Looked totally picture perfect, no wet spots. I'm so doing the happy dance! Now let's just see if burns the way I want LOL And by the way, still no wet spots even a day later.

Oh! A question though.....I keep seeing 6006 listed as "no additives needed". Does that mean I can skip the UV inhibitor too (crosses fingers)?????

Hope this helps you guys!!!

WRONG, you did it totally wrong...just kidding, LOL! Glad you got it to work, isn't it a great feeling when things finally work the way you want them to? As far as the UV, you still have to add it if you want the colors to be more stable over the long term. The no additives needed on the 6006 is just for burn and appearance properties. I don't use UV inhibitor much, but I should. Again, congrats on the success.

Cheers,

Steve

60061.jpg

Ok, this is a picture of the top. It's been a few days since I made this, it's still perfect. I didn't take a heat gun to it or anything, just did what I said above.

60062.jpg

Here's a pic of the adhesion. This one kinda sucks because that thing that LOOKS like a wet spot IS NOT! It's my reflection in the glass. There are absolutely no wet spots on the whole thing! :yay:

post-11141-13945847664_thumb.jpg

post-11141-139458476643_thumb.jpg

It's burning ok, a little fast. I'm using a 44Z and there's like no throw at all. I know it's not the FO because I used an FO I know throws in everything. I tried using a CD in this same wax with the same FO, and it threw like mad but GEEZ the flame was high. So it's more testing and more testing, BUT I'm so happy I got the adhesion and smooth tops down. Now if only I could do that with a pure soy! LOL

They look great I'm happy for you :yay: I have a question though, is the 6006 sticky and nasty to work with? cause I read somewhere it was. How much of paraffin and how much soy in the mix does anyone know? and could I mix it with 464? Have you tried that?

Edited by soy327

There are a lot of good threads from folks who used 6006 for a long time. I had no problem mixing it with a little soy and pouring 185 degrees into a cool jar and not insulate. The problems started after you lit one and the wet spots showed up as the adhesion broke down. Got great ct/ht but have stayed with Clarus wax for years now. Hey Brad. What's up with supplies?

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought 10 lbs of 6006 yesterday from a chandler who has a beautiful candle shop, & it's the only wax she uses, so even though I haven't used it yet, I can share a couple of tips she gave me.

She heats to 200 & adds her FOs, but a few FOs will not work at all unless she adds them at 250.

She preheats her jars at 225.

After the candles are poured & set, they do have faint dips in the top, so she puts them under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, watching very carefully to make sure they don't overheat & liquify, & that's how she gets perfect tops.

I didn't see any wet spots, all hers are perfect.

I just bought 10 lbs of 6006 yesterday from a chandler who has a beautiful candle shop, & it's the only wax she uses, so even though I haven't used it yet, I can share a couple of tips she gave me. I'm getting ready to try this soon too, & I'm very interested in learning more about this wax.

She heats to 200 & adds color & then her FOs, but a few FOs will not work at all unless she adds them at 250.

She pours at 150.

She said she adds 1.5 to 2 ounces of FO per lb, or 1 cup of FO to just over 4 lbs of wax, but occasionally gets a couple of candles that seep FO.

She preheats her jars in the oven at 225 for 10 minutes.

After the candles are poured & set, they do have faint dips in the top, so she puts them under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes, watching very carefully to make sure they don't overheat & liquify, & that's how she gets perfect tops. Her tops are perfectly flat.

I didn't see any wet spots, all hers are perfect.

When I was playing around with 6006, I was determined to make a zinc wick work ( I just prefer them ) -- I did a 51z in the 8oz jj and it worked like a charm....might even help your HT

Thanks for mentioning the wicks; those are the same ones I was sold yesterday for using in 8 oz jj with 6006. I'm encouraged to hear they work well for you! :cheesy2: