Favorite fo's from Snowdrift Farms, Organic Creations and Rustic essentials?

se2653

I've checked out their website- they have a lot of information regarding lotion/ b/b recipes, and have wanted to check out their fo's too. I haven't seen any feedback here yet on them, so I too would like to know if anyone uses them for any of their products and fo's.

Guest Expressive

I have emailed Snowdrift on a couple of occasions but never received a reply back so I looked elsewhere for supplies.

They look good in theory but have poor customer service which is iffy for me.

I live in Tucson and am about a half hour away from snowdriftfarm.com They have a substantial warehouse sized location with a very small office for walk in people.

Bill is a really nice guy and he is very firm on safe soap making meaning preservatives and mold / growth prevention.

He makes his own scents and teaches classes on mixing. The FO's are lighter viscosity than what you will find at CS or LS or Berts or any of the regulars that we know here on this board.

I buy my EO's almost exclusively from Snowdrift for two reasons. First, of course, is loyalty to a local. Second is the price and by far, Snowdrift has the best EO price on the internet. I have tested the EO's and they are genuine.

(To test an EO, put a drop on paper, let it evaporate. You should see little or no oil residue. If you see a lot, or the paper saturates with oil, you have a fake or one that is cut with oil.)

I go there once a month, usually on the first Friday because that is discount day. If I can give a sniff test for you or any feedback, let me know.

Express: Bill is not a great emailer. I got one reply back from him in a year. However, when I visit the store, he comes out with his coke bottle glasses and says hi to me.

I have also had some frustrations in going to the store only to find they closed and went home early. I've come to realize that this small company is dancing to the tune of their own drummer and has a narrow customer base. Be patient, I think you will be happy with the product. I know I am. They are quirky, but IMHO, worth cultivating a relationship.

Oh, let me say they take their internet orders very seriously. I recall going in there when they were busy with the discount Friday orders and I had to just wait. I was the only one there, but everyone was abuzz with making the UPS pickup. They're good people even if you don't get an email response.

Edited by EricofAZ

I am checking on these 3 companies, and wanted to order some fo's from them- but wanted to see if there are any opinions/favorites out there from these companies? Thanks so much for your help!

I love Snowdrift Farm- a few of my favorite FO's are:

Eskimo Kisses

Orange Pomander

Grapefruit Lily

Vanilla Bean

Their internet customer service is slow but shipping and all else is very good!:cheesy2:

Guest Expressive

What I like about SDF is their varying products. Not many people carry some of the items they do.

I can't tell you how many times I have gone to their website and just wanted to order but again, I was leary.

I will reconsider my ordering from them and hope to have a great business relationship with them.

Thanks EricofAZ and moonshine for your feedback.

Moonshine, sorry the internet shipping was slow, it was probably the day I was in there asking for a bunch of crazy stuff.

I think I'll try the vanilla bean. One thing that I know from sniffing all the stuff in the lobby is that their FO's are true to the name.

(To test an EO, put a drop on paper, let it evaporate. You should see little or no oil residue. If you see a lot, or the paper saturates with oil, you have a fake or one that is cut with oil.)

my perfumers (I call them mine because I work with them in my day job) looked at me like I had two heads when I mentioned this. they said "gee then we didn't need to invest millions in equipment then?"

many FOs don't leave residue. some EOs do, and there are plenty of things to cut with that don't.

Well, yeah, there are ways to cut things if someone is going to cheat someone. I suppose the test is not conclusive. Though I've never bought an FO that was anything less than oily on a piece of paper (unless it was alcohol base which is a bad idea in candles).

As for your perfumers who bought lots of equipment, I'm sure it was not to test the genuineness of an EO, was it? I would think that just selecting a good supplier/distiller would be cheaper. There are only a handful of folks who actually distill EO's from what I can tell.

Do your perfumers really use EO's? Most perfumers use FO's and formulate their own fragrances.

I checked out the Snowdrift Farms webby,,, their FO's sound scrumptious, however, I can't absorb those big 16oz prices.

I have ordered many FO's from Rustic/AH... I was a Chermark FO user and a long tme Longwyck user (before those companies closed)so I was glad to see another candle company pick up many of those FO's. I pour soybean beeswax candles.. plus make M&P and lotions...

Here's a few of my faves:

Gardenia Lily

Butternut Pumpkin

Raspberry Lilac

Pumpkin Pie Spice

Country Christmas

Pink Hydrangea

Sandy Rose

I've always had great service from Rustic/AH ... make sure to sign up for their newsletter letting you know of sales..~S~

As for your perfumers who bought lots of equipment, I'm sure it was not to test the genuineness of an EO, was it?

I'm sure you are mistaken. We have equipment - and whole departments around the world - dedicated for that. When it comes to raw materials, quality is hugely important. I work for a global fragrance manufacturer - one of the top 3 in the world.

Do your perfumers really use EO's? Most perfumers use FO's and formulate their own fragrances.

Most perfumers don't use FOs. Most perfumers use fragrance chemicals and essential oils to CREATE FOs.

Edited by CareBear

CareBear, well, I guess I'm learning about perfume, thanks for sharing. I do believe that if a perfume maker wants to blend EO's and whatnot until they like the fragrance, then produce chemically the exact likeness, they will need technology to assist.

As for Snowdrift, I agree, the prices seem high for FO's. You get glass bottles, not plastic. Bill is fickle about that. He wants zero contamination.

<EDITED> Specific promotion of a business and its bonuses is not permitted here. <Scented>

Glad to hear the shea butter is good. I think these folks are meticulous with their products and I'm just stunned and delighted that they are nearby.

Edited by Scented