How do you know what is skin safe and what isn't?

Guest Expressive

Guest Expressive

Hello,

I was just searching the net and came across various sites that did not specify if their FOs were skin safe or not. Sure, I can assume they are since they offer both candle and soap supplies but since they are not labeled, how do you know other than asking?

I have tried looking up a list of what isn't skin safe out there.

Does anyone have a list of FO/EO oils to avoid for the skin?

Also, I got to thinking, if one decided to make their own, how do you test them? I.E. is there a test kit or something?

I know it is an odd question. But when my mind starts thinking, I need to know or I will go crazy. he he

I rely on your expertise as I am still new to some things.

Guest Expressive

Yeah SouthernGal, even though I worded it like that, I would never purchase them for the use on skin under the assumption they would be skin safe and to tell you the truth, I am not sure I would trust asking them.

Hence I was wondering if there is a list of FO/EO oils to stay away from that are/may be irritating to the skin and if someone wanted to make their own or test a company's product, how would they go about testing? - Seems like there would be a test kit or something.

Edited by Expressive

I would think for f/o's it will vary from supplier to supplier. As far as e/o's I don't know. I've read that you have to be very careful with e/o's because of their therapeutic properties. Sorry I'm not much help.

What supplier are you looking at? Most usually have it listed under each f/o if it is skin safe or not.

Guest Expressive

SouthernGal, I would have to look them up again as I just moved on when I didn't see the info but that is not what I care about anyways since there are so many other reputable places out there. I appreciate your replies though as any info helps.

My mind just started thinking and I was looking for a list of oils to avoid for skin, like cinammon and the like.

And then of course I was looking for a way to test oils. Since my skin is not that sensative, it would be pointless to really test it on myself and companies I would imagine have some sort of chemical or strip testing or something.

Sometimes it is hard to do online searches for stuff so hopefully someone has an answer to those questions. I will keep looking and will post any info I find.

Skin Irritating Properties Oils List:

EO List so far:

- Cinnamon

- Citronella

- Clove

- Eucalyptus

- Ginger

- Lemon Balm (Balm Mint)

- Tolu Balsam (Peru Balsam)

- Peppermint

- Pine

- Thyme

Edited by Expressive

For FOs, ask the supplier. For EOs, do some research on recommended concentrations since some can cause reactions and problems if the concentration is too high. Here's a link to a site I was recently turned on to by another member which provides a list of EOs they consider not recommended for aromatherapy purposes. I have read other lists at reputable EO sites as well.

http://aromatherapy.vinensia.com/2008/11/hazardous-essential-oils.html

Here's another list of "hazardous EOs" from Nature's Gift...

http://www.naturesgift.com/warnings.htm

HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952

FO suppliers that I order from list their oils as such for candles only, skin safe, or body safe, etc. I just don't shop with suppliers that don't bother to list that info. Too risky as I make both soap, lotions, and candles.

I agree about doing the research on EOs. Some oils may be safe for soap but not lotions, body butters, or leave on products. Some are not safe for children or pregnant women. Some are not skin safe at all while others are okay using certain percentages in your soap, lotion, etc. Research and ordering from a refutable supplier will help you there.

Guest Expressive

Obviously it is mostly common sense to ask and go with reputable people but that is why I am trying to go a step further. I know it is a tall order, but once I set my mind to something, it drives me nuts until I know but of course, it is not something easily found as usual :)

I guess the reason I am looking for a kit or something is, how do the manufacturers know it is skin safe? They can't just test it on their own skin and say it is safe you know? Probably one of those things you just never figure out.

Thanks Stella1952, the more the merrier.

Edited by Expressive

Guest Expressive

Yeah, it seems a bit futile to find what I am looking for as anything can really be irritating to certain skin types.

Oh well, it was worth looking.

I appreciate everyone's replies.

I just make candles now.Did lotions and soap for a time but never sold them.Now just candles so I don't pay attention.I checked all of that before using the FO's for lotion.

My suppliers usually have that listed. I checked the site to make sure it was safe.

Some companies put skin safe on the fragrance bottles. Some of mine have that on the bottle and some don't. Depends on the supplier.

Someone mentioned the spicey ones are usually not skin safe.Like Cinnamon,Peppermint etc.

LynnS

Edited by LynnS

Skin Irritating Properties Oils List:

EO List so far:

- Cinnamon

- Citronella

- Clove

- Eucalyptus

- Ginger

- Lemon Balm (Balm Mint)

- Tolu Balsam (Peru Balsam)

- Peppermint

- Pine

- Thyme

This is an interesting list, but these EOs CAN be used in personal care products. IFRA is the organization that makes the call on the recommended maximum levels.

Furthermore, for many chemicals there are separate numbers for wash-off products (soap) and leave on products (lotion, body spray). Many of our suppliers don't distinguish between the two because they go with the safest route and only say "skin safe" if it's ok for leave on products.

Here is some useful info:

IFRA category definitions (and other info, 2009) p9: http://www.thenose.ch/files/ifra_qra_information_booklet.pdf

An example of individual limits (scroll down to the "Safety In Use" section: http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/es1066831.html

Edited by CareBear

Yeah, it seems a bit futile to find what I am looking for as anything can really be irritating to certain skin types.

Oh well, it was worth looking.

I appreciate everyone's replies.

No kit I know of. It would be nice if you could dip a test strip into the oil and it would change color such as red NOT skin safe green OK for skin. Would be nice and very helpful if ALL suppliers put that info on their label along with what % is safe.

I'm going to take a risk here and suggest that if an FO is labeled skin safe, it likely is for the majority of the population. There is always the percentage that reacts to everything including water.

As for EO's, I would never assume that any EO is skin safe. There are lots of people that are fine with Clary Sage and lots that react negatively, as for all EO's.

EO's need some special warning that skin contact may or may not be free from reaction depending on the person. Test carefully.

Guest Expressive

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the so called chemists just tried it on their skin and since it didn't burn or leave a rash, they starting manufacturing it.

When an unnamed amount of people complained that they had a reaction, they then labeled them as not safe for skin.

I am still doing a lot more in-depth research on the matter and will be speaking to some chemists and perfumists about the subject. All information I get will be posted in the future.

Like I said, it was just one of those things I started thinking about.

Guest Expressive

Well after going back and forth with chemists and/or perfumists, it turns out most fragrances are more synthetic than EOs.

Chanel #5 apparently was 100% synthetic.

So on that note, I am going one step further and training in perfumery. I have a long road ahead but we shall see what happens.