What is your best selling method?

Maybe its how you are asking it, I was willing to answer your initial question until I started thinking about how you asked it, then it pissed me off! It seems at least to me, you ask for our help then put us down all at the same time, its kinda weird. example below....

I hate to burst your bubbles but whether you like it or not everyone on this forum is a competitor to everyone else. If you're not in business to do things better than your competition (referred to as your unique selling proposition) then why be in business at all?

...your not bursting my bubble becasue you are not my competition and if we are your competition then why would you expect us to give you hard earned information.

I'm located in North Texas but again I don't understand why that's relevant.

...of course it's relevant, I live in S.Florida, when I go into the department store and its 80 degrees outside in the middle of January do you really think I want to look at heavy coats, gloves, scaves and snow boots? You have to know your local market because that is where you will start, I'm assuming you will not be a global force to be reckond with when you initally start so if you are doing local shows and wholesaling (sp?) to local markets wouldn't it be wise to know that market? I don't know, makes sense to me. :confused:

Edited by lsbennis

Thanks Wessex,

That's the problem with reading/writing posts. Sometimes the words come across as being crass when they're not meant to be.

I've apologized profusely in my previous posts if I had offended anyone. I'd like people to know that I have a great attitude and appreciate everyone's responses, both good and bad, even if I am a little shocked by some of them.

So, for everyone reading and/or contributing to this thread, please don't take my words to be offensive or insensitive.

Thanks.

If I start my business by defining my area as an area within 500 miles of my location then I've already limited my ability to sell. I consider my "area" to be the entire U.S., ...... Having a website (I'll be designing my own soon) creates an opportunity to sell in places I've never even been to before.

What does it matter if someone here can make $2,000 at a craft fair, or make $5,000 a month out of a storefront?

If you don't want to limit to your local area there is only one avenue; I think you answered your own question. Go with your website and some of the other www dot we-will-sell-your-stuff dot coms.

Edited by Judy, USMC

Perhaps you only want giant, global info. If you have it in your sights to outdo Yankee or Scentsy, best wishes. I was only trying to be nice...you'll get the feel of who will give TRADE SECRETS to newbies and hackers...sorry you misconstrued my kindness for weakness. Many of the people on this board who don't make their "living" selling are very much vested in this endeavor. Though my sales obviously don't matter to you, there must be members here who do, or you would NOT be here. Think about your posts, your audacity, and the reputation that will sail like the North wind here in rural Michigan. If you can "figure that out for yourself", why are you baiting this board?

Well, it's apparent that this thread has digressed into something other than what it was meant for.

Since those who were offended by what I clearly stated wasn't meant to be offensive it might be best for me to revert back to lurker status and become an expert with the Search function.

Thanks again for those who responded.

Aw geez it was me that started the location thing, I can only speak for myself but as I said in an earlier post, or at least inferred (or implied, I can never figure out which one is appropriate) is that with the economic climate we're living in right now, with places like dollar tree and Michael's clearance bins I believe anyone would have a problem of making a living

in the candle making business...I pour candles for myself all of the time but even I would rather pick up some inferior, barely scented pumpkin spice pillars at $ tree than make them myself. I bought 50 tins with asst candles inside at Michael's just because I liked the tins...I melted all the wax in my oven. At the height of my business I would turn on my pots when Regis

& Kelly went on and started cleaning my work room after David Letterman...thanks to menopause I have insomnia and have been known to get out of bed after trying for an hour to fall asleep and begin working again at 2 am...whatever I made I put back into supplies...I'm extremely lucky (I wish iPads would allow me to use italics) that I had a "backer" so to speak...My husband fronted everything for me..I combed estate sales and

flea markets looking for interesting containers..everything from the old key rolled coffee tins to Homer Laughlin gravy boats to Hull pottery...I still buy vintage pieces and have molds made from them...I went crazy trying to find molds in the shape of

keys...I bought everything from old victorian keys, I bought porcelain roses, put them on the keys and had molds made...my newest find was a Barbie Dream House key....I found a great mold maker and if I ask her to just make me a master so as far as I know it's a one of a kind mold...I believe I put my mold maker's kid thru college but she's ethical, meticulous in her work and I don't mind paying whatever she charges me...I know

whatever pieces I give her won't show up on her website. what I have long windedly been trying to say, simply put is that you have to spend money to make money....you crawl before you walk...some candlemakers I know do fundraisers for schools, not my thing, my yearly January white sale is next weekend, so far advertising it has cost me $200.00. It will be interesting to see how it goes this year...There are a bazillion candle making websites, probably many women on this board have one, they can probably give you an idea of what their traffic is like....For

what it's worth here are my suggestions...someone made mention about Yankee Candle...here in western new york we have a fabulous candle company that I believe makes a better finished candle than Yankee (btw a lot of Yankee candle stores have closed down) this company http://www.drewcandle.com/osCommerce/index.htm

Actually they did meet with me and walked me thru a cliff notes tour...I learned a lot, scored some great oils and they were very patient with me...okay...I digressed

1). Never under estimate the power of freebies

2). Find a hook (kinda like the musical Gypsy....you gotta find a gimmick

3). Stay on trend or ahead of the curve

4) Word of mouth is still great advertising and it's free

5). In a business class I learned that the ripple effect of one bad product will involve more than 20 people

6) Only work with people as picky as yourself

7) Spend whatever it takes to buy the best quality of everything associated with your candles

8) No details are ever too simple

9) Don't hire a customer to help you out...they will become a competitor in less than a year

10). The ladies here are extremely helpful, no two sellers have the same approach...there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance and unfortunately the written word and the spoken word never comes thru as far as connotation...what I get from your posts is a business mind, great articulation and a no

nonsense approach. I worked my butt off and I don't know the number that will "make a living" for you...everyone's number is different some people can live well for $25,000.00 a year and some can't live on $100,000.00 a year...I was $3,000.00 in a hole, my first year and even more than that the 2nd year, my 3rd yr I actually made a profit but believe me I bought an unfinished armoire at walmart with my "profit". During these

last 15 months of my break from the business I still spent over $600.00 on molds.....just for soaps....spending money to make money. I hope

My old business was B&B and candles (2000). I sold primarily thru craft shows and it was hit or miss on sales. I switched from paraffin wax to soy in 2002 and that was the key in my area. Plus drop the B&B. For some reason I can't sell B&B in this area. With the soy came wholesale accounts that came to me...I lucked out...right place at right time. Actually made a very small profit in 2004. Unfortunately had to quit that business due to health issues.

In fall of 2009 I started back in business. I tried B&B again and no go again. I went back to soy candles. Craft show sales are way down in this area. My old supplier is no longer carrying the tried and true containers and I have yet found replacements. Due to competition with every manufacturer jumping in the home fragrance arena, supply prices and the overall economy here, I am unable to wholesale competitively. So I do not wholesale. After several craft shows with low sales ($90 or less) I decided to forgo craft shows for the time being. I found a consignment shop last spring...bit pricey space rate but a start. I then found one in June a little better priced monthly space rate. The first one went out of business 4 months later. The second shop sales are usually covering space rent plus a little extra. I'm hanging in for awhile to see if customers pick up plus I can supplement by teaching classes there. I then found out that another shop that used to offer spaces at a monthly rate now offered % of sales only. So I am in that shop now...sales slow. I lucked out and found a new eco-friendly shop that was going in the mall and was accepting handmade crafters to supplement. %of sales only and I could set my own %. I am doing very well there. My candles are showcased right when you walk in the door and I am a big part of her business. Wish I could find more like that. With the new shops I have been finding a different clientele when it comes to fragrances and styles...so my initial costs are still ongoing at the moment. Hoping to get things more in line this year. Scaling back number of scents to a good basic array and then periodically coming out with "Limited Edition" fragrances (V-day, mother's day, etc). I currently am looking for new containers to be able to wholesale in the future.

Website has always been hit or miss with me. I am listed on some handmade craft sites and occasionally sell something there.

I sell more on impulse I think.

Anyway that is my experience.

Maybe call Yankee candle and see if they have any advice for you. Ask for the President or CEO. I am sure he would be willing to hand over their proven business model and maybe even ingredents and formulas. Good luck with your business venture.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

LOVE IT!! Totally agree! That would save you time and money, because you can take their procedures and processes and improve upon them!!

:P

Well, I read all the 4 pages, then I re-read them all.

I really don't see what the OP wrote that caused such upset with most people. The sarcasm and the pissy attitude was uncalled for. If you don't want to share, either ignore the poster, or tell him "I don't care to divulge the info". I can see us trying to protect our turf if we were all concentrated in a small area, or if all together at a craft show, but really....:rolleyes2

Ok, so Classicandle may have come across a bit arrogant by stating he wanted to "do it better"; on the other hand, you may want to look at that statement as your challenge to do even better - it all depends how you look at it.

But if ClassicCandle did come across arrogant, so did other posters, and not just arrogant, but downright rude. We're all entitled to our opinions and the way we choose to respond; this is mine. Blessings to all :smiley2:

Agree, Noodle, he may have come across a tad arrogant at first, but it's rather easy when you aren't talking face to face.... which also makes it easier for some to insult others.

He did apologize/try to explain, yet he received a few more whippings. Hopefully that won't make him turn his back on this expensive, labor-intensive hobby. I just don't like the idea of eating our young. (I'm an ICU nurse, and I've seen the effects of "eating your young" in my profession.... it simply pisses me off. Fortunately not too many nurses are afflicted by this disease :laugh2:

Its true Raven that he did apologize but then after he apologized he turned around and was rude again. Its like he asked for our help/information then turns around and tells us that the information we offered wasn't relavent! And I don't care if he makes his product better or not, at least have some respect for the people you are asking information/help from.

But whatever, it may just be his personality that is fine, and he doesn't need to be a lurker, all though I agree that he should utilize the search feature!

Edited by lsbennis

Isbennis, I do see your point. Maybe he's young, perhaps he's immature, etc. etc. I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

If the OP is simply an arrogant ass, than it's highly likely he will not succeed at this. I'm sure many of us started out in this business thinking (or at least hoping) it'd be a snap to climb to the top and surpass Yankee, Circle E, Trapp, etc. etc..... what a humbling experience instead!

ComfortCandle, I certainly am not a well seasoned chandler; in fact, I do not make candles with the purpose of selling them, I'm still very much into the experimentation stage, and have been for many months. Any candle I make gets used by me, not friends, not family (unless they're visiting, and if the house burns down, it'll be my home!)

However, I do sell other things, such as melts, body sprays, etc. For me, home parties work best; good product presentation is essential. I've also noticed geographical preferences. In my neck of the woods (NE TX), bakery and florals scents do not sell worth a flip. Scented bears or other critters don't sell well either. HTH

Research your target audience, research the area market, go for it. It's not going to be easy, it's not going to be cheap. Will it be worth it? Only you can be the judge of that. Good luck! :smiley2:

Wow there is a lot of good information and advice given in this post, but the the OP question is really loaded!

First of all I am all for keeping it simple and finding out what works best for most seems like a fair question, but not one I would use for setting up or starting my business marketing efforts.

I think how some posts have responded might have said this, but in case not - here is my take;

What works for one may not work for another - and that is for MANY reasons; location, socioeconomic demographics, product, packaging, etc. and most importantly the strength and sucess of the person selling. For example; I can sell my way out of a bag at a craft show- I absolutely despise them, I get chills as people approach the booth. My son on the other hand excels at crafts shows and does really well.

So... besides all the factors and variable not under your direct control, you must decide what is your best selling venue based on your skills and abilities and if you don't have those - those of the people you will hire to sell for you.

Just being curious as to what manner other have the most success is not a odd or irregular question, but to think that you will use the answers to avoid figuring things out for yourself, to shortline the learning curve - as you yourself worded it - is pretty presumtious. Like regarldess of what method is given you will be sucessful in it - maybe, maybe not. There are simply too many issues to consider.

Than again asking the question as a means to determine which you might want to investigate considering your circumstances seems like a fair request.

80% of my business is wholesale and private labeling. The remaining 20% which is retail comes from the internet and work of mouth around town.

Its true Raven that he did apologize but then after he apologized he turned around and was rude again. Its like he asked for our help/information then turns around and tells us that the information we offered wasn't relavent! And I don't care if he makes his product better or not, at least have some respect for the people you are asking information/help from.

But whatever, it may just be his personality that is fine, and he doesn't need to be a lurker, all though I agree that he should utilize the search feature!

Second that.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm rather shocked at the vitriolic responses to what started out as a simple question.

I hate to burst your bubbles but whether you like it or not everyone on this forum is a competitor to everyone else. If you're not in business to do things better than your competition (referred to as your unique selling proposition) then why be in business at all? I know not everyone here is doing it to make money, some do it just for the love of doing it but I'm asking those who are in it to make money.

quote]

Some of us are in business to produce and sell a quality product that we are proud of.

Impatient, greedy Newbies are a dime a dozen and they come & go.

well, not sure what is right or wrong about the initial post, but it has created an interesting thread.

I have been in business about 9 years. I have trialed and errored through a ton of things. I have read these boards religiously, especially in the begining, and try to share information back because it was so freely given to me. I partly credit message boards for any success that I have had, and mention that when asked to share about my business. Which, by the way, I never pass down an opportunity. In fact, will be doing exactly that on a local tv station a week from Monday. Doing an informational segment on cold weather, and how my products can help:) I have tried in the past to get on this program, tried again and got the go ahead. Trying something again, that didn't work, is a good point.

I too have went down many avenues, trying to make some money in this business. Tough, tough business. For all the reasons previously given. I have a heck of a time selling candles, no matter how I do them. There is just really, really tough competition in my rural area, from really good hand made candles. I also make air fresheners and bath and body products. But all the big companies are aggressively grabbing sales for air fresheners and candles now. (With the influx of Scentsy, my melts are actually picking up. They had decreased, but people are finding them to be as good or better, and cheaper. go figure.)

Recently I converted my store front to a market place for hand crafted products. www.prideofiowamarketplace.com. Not complete, but many of the things are included. I have my old business embedded in this new concept. I am hoping it helps. Supposedly there is a trend back to hand crafted, mom and pop main street businesses. Not seeing much here, but hopefully. People are really getting sick of made in china crap.

I carry products in two towns 17 miles from each other. My best sellers are totally different from one area to the other. That close. I also sell other areas, plus have a web site. I have sold consignment, but have been burnt too many times, would rather not go there again. I sell wholesale also, but that takes a lot of work, and the money is not very good unless do volume. Which I do for a cosmetic company, but their sales are way down. We did craft shows for years, along with fairs and anything else that had people. We have given away thousands of samples, by far our best advertisment. Customers have come from some interesting things.

Sorry so long, but there is so much to share.