opinion on these silicone molds

Wessex

I should have said the 15 cavity ones would be the perfect side. If you get them, make sure to put them on a metal cookie sheet or something, because its the only way you can move them if you have to once you pour. They are quite flexible.

They do make beautifully surfaced items.

Damn you, Steve! *pulls out debit card*

LOL!

I ordered a few beginning of last week. Got shipping notification on Thursday night. So it took 3 days to get them shipped, which seems like a little long to me. Also, looks like two were not available as I got a refund through paypal. But was not notified about that, which is always irritating to me. I will let everyone know how they look when I get them. Of course, since these are the first silicone molds I have ever ordered, my opinion may not be worth much :smiley2:. BTW, the order was "fulfilled through Amazon", you may be able to find them a little cheaper by going through Amazon, but I haven't checked.

Cheers,

Steve

We have tried the baking silicone molds for floating candles and for some of our specialty soaps and found that the fragrance seemed to leach out when we made candles, but haven't experienced the issue with soap. We thought it was perhaps due to the higher temps of wax but have found nothing to substantiate that.

We did not use the particular brand you linked so can't say if it is a brand thing or not. ....be interested in your experience.

Got 'em today (almost forgot they were here, got 4 shipments today). Have them set out (with mold release in a few, nothing in a few, to test release) and PB/135 wax blend is melting as I type! Will let you know how things turn out. Have 5 different shapes to play with.

Cheers,

Steve

OK, here are some out of the smaller molds, no mold release used. Came out pretty easy, a few small bits came off the rectangular ones (could have been that I only let them sit in mold for about an hour after pouring). Wax was PB/135 mixed at 75%/25%. FO and dye mixed in at 185, poured around 130-135. Look pretty good to me. Have one larger intricate mold that I am going to let set up overnight. These are small molds, the total weight on all the wax in the picture is 11 ounces.

Cheers,

Steve

post-12326-139458475753_thumb.jpg

post-12326-13945847576_thumb.jpg

Hey Steve, do you know how many ounces of wax each cavity holds on the half sphere and the diamond shape. I was looking at those two but couldn't tell how much wax they might hold. I'm looking to actually use them for bath melts. Thanks for the info!!

All of your testers came out very nice, btw. I really like that last one. Wonder what it could be used for....

J

eta: Maybe a guest soap?

Edited by ProudMarineMom

The half-spheres are about 1/2 ounce each, size is 1 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch. The gem shaped ones are about 1 1/2 inch by 1 inch and 5 of them weighed 2 ounces total. I had ordered the larger half-sphere for single tarts, but they were out. Figure I might make cello bags of these for wax melts. The large "flower" one would be good for a soap, it's wax weight is about 3.4 ounces (3 inches in diameter), but you don't have to fill it to the top of the mold. Do not know how wax weight transfers to bath melt weight. Don't do B&B, and hope to stay away from that addiction for a while, LOL. Candles and now clamshell/tarts are enough right now.

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wessex

Thanks so much for posting your results. I appreciate the fact that you put a variety of sizes together in your pic so we could get an idea of sizes. Love the large flower mold. And yes...that would be a beautiful soap. Might just have to go order some of those. Thanks Steve!

I am SO going to get some of these molds! I really like the brioche and diamond shapes. And Steve, I just love the color of those tarts. Do you use liquid dyes or color blocks? I am also dying to know what scent they are! :)

OK, here are some out of the smaller molds, no mold release used. Came out pretty easy, a few small bits came off the rectangular ones (could have been that I only let them sit in mold for about an hour after pouring). Wax was PB/135 mixed at 75%/25%. FO and dye mixed in at 185, poured around 130-135. Look pretty good to me. Have one larger intricate mold that I am going to let set up overnight. These are small molds, the total weight on all the wax in the picture is 11 ounces.

Cheers,

Steve

The color is actually more green, my camera was set for sunlight instead of flourescent lights, LOL. Scent is Mediterranean Fig from CandleScience. And just got my order from OBI, so I can finally start testing some of the tarts I have been making for the last 2 weeks, LOL. BTW, for anyone who cares, Feather Palm tarts are not melting well in the 25 watt lightbulb type warmers. And are melting in the nightlite plugins, but basically recrystalizing almost immediately. So only the actual plate type warmers are working for Palm. Should post this in another thread, but to lazy, LOL.

Cheers,

Steve