Adding more FO to tarts?

megandgarr

Hi all,

I have some tarts that I made that just dont seem to be strong enough and I want to add a tad more FO. Can I melt down my tarts and add more FO (without exceeding the max that the wax will hold) or will the process of heating the wax back to 180+ degrees in effect burn off the FO that is already in the tarts? I was just curious if anyone has done this and if so, has it been successful?

Thanks,

I don't do tarts, but have remelted pillars and containers (Palm) to retest and have not noticed a big difference. I'm sure you might lose a bit. But if you are testing for scent throw, I would make a whole new batch. That way there are no unknown variables. If you are just using them for yourself, then go for it!

Cheers,

Steve

For my own personal use I just melt the tart in the tart melter. Once its melted I add a bit more FO directly into the melted wax. Usually not more than about a tsp of oil.

But then I have one of those electric warmers with a detachable tart bowl so it doesn't overheat. So I can actually add FO directly into the bowl and it doesn't smoke or burn. I've done this many times and its how I test out new fragrance combos.

Sometimes I have tarts (from all over) that just last so long and I want something different, or maybe I just didn't like it enough to let it get used up... I keep all my 'spent' tart wax globs in a coffee tin and when I want to play with wax and scent, maybe try a new tart mold and make some 'new' melts for myself I will melt these all together and add my own scent (almost as though there was no scent already at all, but I realize it WILL be quite different than the original scent of the current FO i'm adding once it blends with the leftover scent) It's always a fun surprise.

At the very worst, it's not always a pretty color... but eh, no big to me. Otherwise it's a lot of fun to play with it that way and it works PERFECTLY fine. It doesn't matter that the waxes are different... it all melts down just the same and hardens just the same. (I also do what Candybee does by adding fo directly to the melted wax as it is in the warmer)

As you mentioned, the re- heating can diminish the strength, but if it's just for you, you can just do your best to keep it low and slow and try not to weaken the original strength. Definitely keep the temps as low as you can, and just be patient.

But of course, like Wessex said, if you are truly testing these for retail or scent research purposes, it wouldn't be a true indicator to remelt and re add.

Edited by blazerina

• 1 year later...

I came across this thread while searching about for whether it's safe to add more FO to the bowl on a tart warmer. For example, after a few days the original scent is spent, so how many times can you add a dash of FO without changing out the wax? Is there a limit to how much you can add before it becomes a fire hazard? Or does it ever really get to that point? I've been replacing wax and all but with these economic times I'm trying to stretch as much as possible, but it's not worth it if it creates a problem.

I came across this thread while searching about for whether it's safe to add more FO to the bowl on a tart warmer. For example, after a few days the original scent is spent, so how many times can you add a dash of FO without changing out the wax? Is there a limit to how much you can add before it becomes a fire hazard? Or does it ever really get to that point? I've been replacing wax and all but with these economic times I'm trying to stretch as much as possible, but it's not worth it if it creates a problem.

I do it all the time --- for personal use. In my containers I never exceed 7% when I make them so if I add a dash later, I'm within safe limits.

Plus, I just poured a container & ended up with a extra oz so I pour it into a container that is on the melter now but almost used up - so I'll get an extra day's burn out of that extra oz and who know, might discover a new scent combo.