cement floors real slippery??

:)Hi everybody I have a really weird problem here. All of a sudden my basement floor has become very slippery! In the back section it is not and I was wondering if anybody has experienced this and is it from melting wax for candles?? I don't know what else could have caused this but don't know why just melting wax in a presto pot could make this happen. My dogs can't even walk fast with out their legs coming out from under them.:confused: Please if anyone has experienced this let me know and what to do to resolve it.:waiting:Thanks:smiley2:

In the back section it is not

So does this mean you do not make candles in the back section?

Do you make a LOT of candles? If so, it's entirely possible that little bits have found their way to the floor over time. Every crumb counts as do the vapors when they settle. If this is the case, scrub the floor with ammonia (cuts wax & oil), detergent & hot water and that should help if wax is the cause.

If not, your concrete floor may be absorbing moisture from the soil or developing surface inflorescence, cause by moisture reacting with unreacted portland cement & calcium molecules in the concrete. It comes to the surface, causes a surface mottling effect and looks like "bloom" on chocolate or frosting on soy candles. Some folks say it can be cleaned off by using a solution of muriatic acid & water. I have not been personally successful with this... when it has occurred to me, only scrubbing (wire brush) and time will remove the inflorescence. If this is an old house, (over 8 years) it is unlikely that inflorescence is rearing its ugly head now... this is generally a problem of newer concrete & excess water.

I'd opt for scrubbing the floor (ammonia, detergent, hot water) assuming that it's wax buildup.

Edited by Stella1952

Yes Stella I do not make candles in the back section and I really don't make a lot of candles either. Not like you all do. I mainly make tarts because I have not had the time with working to master the wick problems yet. Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it I will try what you said and hopefully have no more problems.:)I am grateful to you for answering my questions it is nice to have somebody to count on!!

Of all the posts I've read on this forum, mixing ammonia and detergent could be the worst advice ever. A mixture of ammonia and bleach can be deadly and a lot of household cleaners, including some detergents, contain bleach.

If you want to get down on your knees with your face close to the floor and scrub your floor with a possibly deadly combination in what's probably a fairly closed environment, well...I'm speechless.

:tiptoe:

I got myself one of those steam mops. Cleans up all the wax, grime, scum, oil, kitchen grease, etc., without using any chemicals. Just use distilled water or tap water if you don't have distilled. The mop pads are machine washable too.

Once the floor is cleaned invest in a non slip floor mat to use in your candlemaking area.

I got myself one of those steam mops. Cleans up all the wax, grime, scum, oil, kitchen grease, etc., without using any chemicals. Just use distilled water or tap water if you don't have distilled. The mop pads are machine washable too.

Once the floor is cleaned invest in a non slip floor mat to use in your candlemaking area.

What brand do you have? That sounds pretty good.

Sliver is right. A good friend of ours...actually he's been my husbands best friend since 10th grade so that's 45 years of friendship...works with my husband. They are both in charge of Maintenance and Custodial staff for a school district so HE should have known better since they were buying all of the chemicals for the custodial department. He decided to clean the main bathroom at his house. He mixed bathroom cleaner with ammonia and proceeded to scrub the bathtub. Small room...didn't open the window because it was cold out. He said all of a sudden he got dizzy and couldn't breathe. Only THEN did he realize what he had mixed and ran outside to get fresh air...said he about passed out and his heart was beating really fast. He said..."that shit could have killed me". Mixing chemicals is a big NO NO.

Of all the posts I've read on this forum, mixing ammonia and detergent could be the worst advice ever. A mixture of ammonia and bleach can be deadly and a lot of household cleaners, including some detergents, contain bleach.

Oh surely you've read or written worse, Sliver.:rolleyes2:p:rolleyes2

Regular floor detergent (spic & span, Pine Sol) contains no bleach. That's why I specified detergent. Did I say anything about detergent with bleach? I also recommend washing glassware with Dawn and ammonia. Notice I said "Dawn" not Dawn with bleach...:rolleyes2

Ammonia has been used successfully for decades for cutting wax and oily build-up, which is why it's an ingredient of many cleaners (Mr. Clean, etc.). I hope that people READ labels before mixing anything.

I got stick of scrubbing my cement floor trying to combat this so I bought one of these mats. With the holes it allows liquids to drain if spilled so it wouldn't get slippery but it also helps my knees/lower back when I stand for extended periods because it is thick rubber.

What brand do you have? That sounds pretty good.

Its a Shark steam mop I got from Target for around $120. It cleaned stains off my floors I thought would never come out. My floors are actually cleaner than they were when I moved into my house. Plus the floor is dry after cleaning because the steam evaporates instantly so you don't have any wet floor. You can use it and walk on it right away.

Its great for households with children and pets. Gets the floors so clean babies can crawl on the floor without worry of chemicals getting on their hands or feet. Same with pets. You know how they will lick food off the floor or lick their paws after walking around.

I got stick of scrubbing my cement floor trying to combat this so I bought one of these mats. With the holes it allows liquids to drain if spilled so it wouldn't get slippery but it also helps my knees/lower back when I stand for extended periods because it is thick rubber.

I think you can get the thick rubber mats with holes in them at Sam's Club. My dad uses them in his restaurant next to the grills/fry laders, prep stations and has them taken to the car wash when they get slippery. Wax could be justed brushed off with a stiff broom.

Put some lawn trash bags or painters plastic underneath a couple of these mats and you would have very little floor cleaning.....and as said by paradise, they are wonderful on the feet because of the thick rubber.

I hope that people READ labels before mixing anything.

LOL. Stella, you know how ignorant our country has become. If you don't write a CAUTION on things like hot coffee, autopilots in rv's, plastic bags and cleaning products in huge letters, people just go all dumb and don't think for themselves.

I guess now we have to put some type of caution remarks under our signatures.:P

lol. Stella, you know how ignorant our country has become. If you don't write a caution on things like hot coffee, autopilots in rv's, plastic bags and cleaning products in huge letters, people just go all dumb and don't think for themselves.

ditto...

LOL. Stella, you know how ignorant our country has become. If you don't write a CAUTION on things like hot coffee, autopilots in rv's, plastic bags and cleaning products in huge letters, people just go all dumb and don't think for themselves.

Me too:laugh2::laugh2:Stupid is as stupid does:laugh2:

I think I'm going back to the shot glass post.

I think you can get the thick rubber mats with holes in them at Sam's Club. My dad uses them in his restaurant next to the grills/fry laders, prep stations and has them taken to the car wash when they get slippery. Wax could be justed brushed off with a stiff broom.

I think I got mine at Home Depot. I went in to get those foam mats that fit together like puzzles but decided to go with this one instead figuring that it would be less likely to get slippery. They were in the same aisle as the doormats. If I remember correctly the one big mat was cheaper than the foam ones too.

Edited by mparadise

You are a real fiend Stella. The mats just help with the old back aches and not much at that but better than nothing at all. There are some really good citrus based cleaners that cut the wax build up really good but I ditto the steam thingy. It could be that your floors have been sealed and any minor amount of a film will cause it to get really slick. Does my post make any sense at all? I am so tired....don't know if I can make it through to the end.

Steve

You are a real fiend Stella...There are some really good citrus based cleaners that cut the wax build up really good
Nah - I'm just old school and tight with a penny. Ammonia's cheap and works great on many hard surfaces and crud types. I have never been tempted to mix it with any cleanser containing sodium hypochlorite (chlorine bleach) or other fancy-schmancy chemical cleaning stuff whose ingredients I can't pronounce 'cause my great-gramma told me it'd kill me dead if I did and I believed her. She also taught me to read labels BEFORE I do stuff... I wash clothes with washing soda & borax, too... It just never occurred to me that folks who make their own soap, candles, lotions and stuff would not know about basic household chemistry... :shocked2:
Chlorine Gas. Was used in chemical warfare.
I DO idly wonder what shade of green chlorine gas is, but curiosity killed the cat so I'll just be content to go through life without ever knowing for sure. Speaking of chemical warfare, I wonder if mustard gas is mustard yellow... :confused:
Its a Shark steam mop I got from Target for around $120
I do covet those steam cleaners - nothing like good ol' vaporized H2O to cut through muck and I've got 90 years of it on the old cypress floors I'm in the process of refinishing! Shark... gotta get me one! Maybe Santa will put one under the tree for me! :yay:
I guess now we have to put some type of caution remarks under our signatures.
Good suggestion! Can't be too careful... I'm gonna start now... :tiptoe:

CAUTION!

Steam will be HOT after heating!

Severe third degree burns leading to DEATH may result if used improperly.

Do not use on children, elderly persons, spouses, or pets (especially cats).

Do not use on aquariums unless fish are removed.

Not intended for use in killing spiders, roaches or fire ants.

Disclaimer:

The opinions and information expressed herein belong to a curmudgeonly old woman who lives in the middle of an overgrown pasture who claims absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for anything that happens, under any circumstances, as a direct or indirect result of any other party listening to, repeating or applying the aforementioned alleged "knowledge" conveyed by her.

She's a mother... what would she know anyway?

:D